PDA

View Full Version : how much would you expect pay

chuck1
11th April 2013, 08:49 PM
was asked to turn stool tops 300 diameter 32 mm thick 10 mm half rounds on the edges. the person said they wanted hardwood but only wanted to pay $10 each! I'm still feeling bewildered as spotted gum is $85 a metre! does anyone else get unrealistic people wanting jobs done!

powderpost
11th April 2013, 08:57 PM
All the time. I now suggest they supply the material and give I them a machining price only. Usually don't see them again.
Jim

BobL
11th April 2013, 09:26 PM
All the time. I now suggest they supply the material and give I them a machining price only. Usually don't see them again.
Jim

This is a pretty good tactic.
We had an excellent talks about this at Fine Wood Working Association of WA.
The speaker was Dave a member of the forums and he suggested a detailed quote will check if the prospective customer is just a cheapskate or tyre kicker.

RETIRED
11th April 2013, 09:54 PM
Gees $10.00. You got a regular spendthrift there. Some of the bugg... that come in here expect me to pay them I reckon for the privilege of doing it.

NCArcher
11th April 2013, 10:03 PM
In their defence it is a good learning experience for you . You got to practice if you want to get good. :p

ian
11th April 2013, 10:14 PM
was asked to turn stool tops 300 diameter 32 mm thick 10 mm half rounds on the edges. the person said they wanted hardwood but only wanted to pay $10 each! I'm still feeling bewildered as spotted gum is $85 a metre! does anyone else get unrealistic people wanting jobs done!so at $85 a metre, you'd have to price the tops at around $45 to $50 each not to be going backwards

what would be galling would be if spotted gum tops made in China were about $30 each in Aus

TTIT
11th April 2013, 10:49 PM
For $10 I'd cut the blanks out on the bandsaw from timber they supplied . . . . . . . . . but that's it :U

chuck1
11th April 2013, 11:13 PM
ok I knew I wasnt alone! ive priced it out of pine and came to $25 to 30, think I'll tell them that I can do it for 15 if they supply timber cut and drilled

Wongo
11th April 2013, 11:34 PM
Just say you are not interested in a polite way of course. Don't bother explaining because some people just cannot be educated.

ian
12th April 2013, 12:41 AM
ok I knew I wasnt alone! ive priced it out of pine and came to $25 to 30, think I'll tell them that I can do it for 15 if they supply timber cut and drilledI wouldn't go that route, because it'll be your fault if the supplied blanks are undersized or the holes are off centre

dr4g0nfly
12th April 2013, 04:59 AM
It's frightening what people expect, when you give them a realistic price the normal response is 'What for a bit of wood!'

chuck1
12th April 2013, 09:52 AM
thankyou guys! ive slept on it and looked at his web site! and will give him a call this morning. the cheapest stool he sells is $125 and he mentioned being able to get them from Bali for $7, doubt it will be by the date he needs them. so I will have a rest this weekend!

Christos
15th April 2013, 10:12 AM
....... Some of the bugg... that come in here expect me to pay them I reckon for the privilege of doing it.

If I make it to Melbourne and happen to visit can I have my payment in a cup of tea? :laughing1:

Wongo
15th April 2013, 10:30 AM
thankyou guys! ive slept on it and looked at his web site! and will give him a call this morning. the cheapest stool he sells is $125 and he mentioned being able to get them from Bali for $7, doubt it will be by the date he needs them. so I will have a rest this weekend!

Yeah, some one has to kill a tree, do the work and feed a family with $7 and other pockets $125. Here is an example of evil of the western world at work.

Tim the Timber Turner
15th April 2013, 10:49 AM
$20-25 each plus material costs.

Don't forget to add 20% to the material costs for waste and offcuts.

I prefer the customer to supply the material, then if it has cracks or defects, not my problem.

Had a lady ring me once and ask if I would make miniture rolling pins.

She was buying imported ones for less than $3 each and thought they were much too expensive!!!!!

I takes my hat off to anyone that stands in front of a wood lathe all day and can make a living.

Cheers

Tim:)

Mulgabill
15th April 2013, 01:56 PM
Yeh! tell me about what some people expect. I recently had an email from a women who was setting-up and new trendy cafe/coffee lounge and wanted "rustic economical" (her words) peppermills and salt shakers. Apparently she saw some I had at an exhibition and therefore she new what I normally charge for "good ones" (her words again).
I thought about it a bit and decided to set a fee at my usual scale, which I emailed to her. I almost suggested that if it was not acceptable she should go to an Asian discount store, however needless to say I never heard from her again.

petersemple
15th April 2013, 02:45 PM
Just sell her any that have catches, or unworkable timber etc that you would chuck out anyway as "rustic economical" - but tell her they are in short supply and she might have to wait for the cheapies.

Sawdust Maker
15th April 2013, 03:30 PM
... "rustic economical" (her words) peppermills and salt shakers. ...

Wouldn't that just be the blanks drilled and mechanisms fitted? Made with fine splintery timber, of course!

hmm could be a new market here ...

Mulgabill
15th April 2013, 04:53 PM
Wouldn't that just be the blanks drilled and mechanisms fitted? Made with fine splintery timber, of course!

hmm could be a new market here ...

:think::think:

Sawdust Maker
29th May 2013, 10:53 AM
I thought I'd have a play and came up with this ...

Would it be a big seller? :D

Wongo
29th May 2013, 11:42 AM
I am jumping in first. This is pure art. Will you let it go for $800? :D

Gra
29th May 2013, 11:53 AM
You might actually be onto something here. I know it was suggested in jest, but give it a try they may go for it. What you show there actually fits the requirements she gave, and some of these arty types would love it.

What can happen? they are already going to buy cheap Chinese ones, so offer them up and they will either say yes and you have a quick profit or they say no and go and get some from China

As I side note I actually like it

powderpost
29th May 2013, 11:57 AM
was asked to turn stool tops 300 diameter 32 mm thick 10 mm half rounds on the edges.

Very interesting solution to the request. No, would not be a big seller, no rounded edge to the top and the little knob on the top could have interesting effects?:D
Jim

oreos40
29th May 2013, 12:24 PM
Here is one the other way around. In another forum a person asked for parts 12" long a straight taper from .570-.470 from any material and was quoted 20 dollars a part for 100 pieces. Of course each one was an original piece of art.

Sawdust Maker
29th May 2013, 04:37 PM
Here is one the other way around. In another forum a person asked for parts 12" long a straight taper from .570-.470 from any material and was quoted 20 dollars a part for 100 pieces. Of course each one was an original piece of art.

photo?

chuck1
29th May 2013, 07:45 PM

well I like it!!!

rat52
29th May 2013, 09:18 PM
well I like it!!!

Does it come with tweezers for the splinters

ian
29th May 2013, 11:49 PM
I recently had an email from a women who was setting-up and new trendy cafe/coffee lounge and wanted "rustic economical" (her words) peppermills and salt shakers. Apparently she saw some I had at an exhibition and therefore she new what I normally charge for "good ones" (her words again).
I thought about it a bit and decided to set a fee at my usual scale, which I emailed to her.
needless to say I never heard from her again.

well I like it!!!
:whs:

seriously, I've been in places where objects like that are considered art

Wongo
30th May 2013, 10:21 AM
I increase my offer to $4,500

Sawdust Maker
30th May 2013, 06:21 PM
I increase my offer to $4,500

This is merely a non functioning prototype, created for photography's sake
Thus I really couldn't accept more than $4,450 for it :U

Allan at Wallan
31st May 2013, 10:15 AM
A local lady in Wallan approached me wanting a supply of
capitols, about nine different designs, which she dresses up in
materials and sells for $60 each.

She had been travelling to a second hand shop in Castlemaine
and paying $6 each for them. They were curtain rod ends and
she had to sand them, and glue a piece of one inch dowel in
the base as a support. I assured her I would make them all
in one piece, with the support peg and already sanded.

My mistake: On asking how much they would cost I said I have
never "ripped" anyone off in my life and she would be happy.

I made 25 plus another 9 to keep as samples for the future and
when she arrived at my home was extremely happy with them.
She then presented me with a $50 note and said, "Is that ok?"
My reply, "You have got to be joking". She then took back the
$50 and gave me $100 and said, "I won't need any more, this
should keep me going".

Naturally I kept my nine samples and have not seen her since.

Allan

Dalboy
31st May 2013, 10:24 AM
This is a subject that is a problem world wide. It is so easy to undervalue your work. At the moment I am doing some turned bits to go on a craft stall my wife does the only problem is working out a fair price for the work I have produced.

Wongo
31st May 2013, 11:21 AM
My mistake: On asking how much they would cost I said I have
never "ripped" anyone off in my life and she would be happy.

I made 25 plus another 9 to keep as samples for the future and
when she arrived at my home was extremely happy with them.
She then presented me with a $50 note and said, "Is that ok?"
My reply, "You have got to be joking". She then took back the
$50 and gave me $100 and said, "I won't need any more, this
should keep me going".

Big mistake indeed.

Hmm she thinks $2 each is a fair price. Such lovely lady.:roll:

Sawdust Maker
31st May 2013, 12:33 PM
$2 or $4 each - and after her work sold for $60
she obviously values her work more highly than yours
obviously no understanding of labour and effort :doh:

Sawdust Maker
31st May 2013, 12:38 PM
raided the bbq woodpile

I reckon fairly rustic ... trouble could be the splitting timber and the fine dust from the borers :doh:

the 2nd is actually the 1st with bark removed

Sturdee
31st May 2013, 12:41 PM
If it was me I wouldn't have sold them to her for the $ 100 reluctantly offered but instead burned them in a fire to keep me warm.

Would have given me greater pleasure then living with the thought that I've been ripped of.

Peter.

Christos
31st May 2013, 09:46 PM
raided the bbq woodpile

I reckon fairly rustic ... trouble could be the splitting timber and the fine dust from the borers :doh:

the 2nd is actually the 1st with bark removed

I think you have too much spare time.

Dalboy
31st May 2013, 11:12 PM
Sawdust Maker If that was dry you could be onto a winner:2tsup::2tsup: