PDA

View Full Version : Ring box with hinge- suggestions

jarradds123
11th April 2013, 10:22 PM
Hi All,

I am looking at making a box on the lathe for an engagement ring.

Has anyone had any experience with using a hinge on a turned box? I do not think the hinges on CWS would be suitable as they are fairly visible.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers
Jarrad

RETIRED
11th April 2013, 11:31 PM
I reckon about the only hinge you could use would be this one. CWS Store - Solid Brass Concealed Hinges 5mm, 2pr | Carroll's Woodcraft Supplies (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/item/solid-brass-concealed-hinges-5mm-2pr)

Just use one only, it would be a bit fragile but hopefully it is for a one off event unless you really want to get into trouble.:wink::D

jarradds123
12th April 2013, 08:33 AM
Thanks . I had only seen this previously- CWS Store - Round Hinges | Carroll's Woodcraft Supplies (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/category/-round-hinges)

The 5mm concealed hinge should do the job. I think the one box will be all I need.

Cheers

DSEL74
12th April 2013, 09:19 AM
You could also put a pin in it and have a rotating lid rather than a lift up, or use rare earth magnets.

dai sensei
12th April 2013, 12:55 PM
I did a larger turned jewellery box a long time back with 2 concealed hinges and magnets to close. I just had to sand down sloping edges between the hinges to allow the lid to be lifted. Ignore my installation of the hinges, I used the wrong drill size :doh: and then had to fill the holes with resin and redrill :-

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th April 2013, 01:10 PM
Very nice, Neil! :2tsup:

Personally I'd go with DSEL74's suggestion, of fitting a pin & magnet instead.

(Less drilling, hence less opportunities for installer's error. :- )

jarradds123
12th April 2013, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I have a 4 weeks until i get the ring so I think I will make a box with each suggestion and see what works best then make the real one.

If you have any more ideas please let me know.

Cheers

DSEL74
12th April 2013, 09:47 PM
You could make the top with a sliding dovetail. Again a magnet could add extra locking if the dovetail isn't tight.

Or you could make a puzzle box and make her work for it.

smiife
17th April 2013, 08:35 PM
hi jarrad,
i made a box with one of those hinges,might be a big but that depends
on the size of the ring:o,just thought you might be interested
cheers smiife:2tsup: