PDA

View Full Version : Coastal Jarrah Platter

Willy Nelson
13th April 2013, 03:08 PM
Good Morning All
Done a heap of turning, over 50 platters and bowls. Still to turn the bums off them, but here is one I completed a couple of weeks ago.
The burl is quite is very pinky in colour and the platter is 37cm across. Finished with 10 coats of DO

Thanks for looking

Willy
Jarrahland

Rippa
13th April 2013, 06:24 PM
Very nice platter there Willy:2tsup::2tsup: Where do you get your burls from and how come your DO is a matt finish. Rippa

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th April 2013, 06:34 PM
Nice!

Is that a chip at round 1 o'clock? Bummer, but you work with what you've got, eh? Still very nice; it'd look good on our dining table. :D

(And Rippa? 'Tis easy to put a satin or matte finish on DO. The simplest way is to cut it back after the final coat, with something like EEE. :wink: It's actually more work to obtain a consistent glossy finish... unless you're using a DO doped with PolyU. :shudder: )

TTIT
13th April 2013, 07:27 PM
Very nice Willy :2tsup: Is 'Coastal Jarrah' another species or just an indicator of where it grew up :?

Willy Nelson
13th April 2013, 11:06 PM
Very nice platter there Willy:2tsup::2tsup: Where do you get your burls from and how come your DO is a matt finish. Rippa

Trees! They grow on Trees! Okay, sorry about that. I sometimes cut them from private property or I buy them at the Harvey Auctions. This one I know is from Havey by the lighter colour. As for the DO, maybe the camera didn't pick up to much sheen, but it is a satin finish, in my opinion

Willy

Willy Nelson
13th April 2013, 11:08 PM
Nice!

Is that a chip at round 1 o'clock? Bummer, but you work with what you've got, eh? Still very nice; it'd look good on our dining table. :D

Chip. No way, that is actually a sapwood inclusion. Chip, sheshhhhhhhh

Willy
Jarrahland

Willy Nelson
13th April 2013, 11:10 PM
Very nice Willy :2tsup: Is 'Coastal Jarrah' another species or just an indicator of where it grew up :?

Hey Vern
The light pink Jarrah is referred to a 'Coastal' Jarrah right or wrong due to the colour. It can also be called 'New Growth' Jarrah

Willy
Jarrahland

BobL
13th April 2013, 11:10 PM

They way I heard it from the arborist I work with coastal Jarrah is a sub species also know as blue tipped leaf Jarrah. It's generally smaller and more multi-trunked an has more of the deep red brown colour to it than regular jarrah. Big trunks are now quite rare but I have milled a couple of medium sized logs (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f132/blue-tipped-leaf-jarrah-74893/) - the fresh timber can even have a purple scarlet look to it but unfortunately it does not last.

powderpost
13th April 2013, 11:51 PM
Very nice... :2tsup:
Jim

artme
14th April 2013, 12:52 AM
Veeeery noice Willy!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Willy Nelson
14th April 2013, 06:14 PM
They way I heard it from the arborist I work with coastal Jarrah is a sub species also know as blue tipped leaf Jarrah. It's generally smaller and more multi-trunked an has more of the deep red brown colour to it than regular jarrah. Big trunks are now quite rare but I have milled a couple of medium sized logs (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f132/blue-tipped-leaf-jarrah-74893/) - the fresh timber can even have a purple scarlet look to it but unfortunately it does not last.

Hey Bob,
Just checked your thread, AWESOME looking Jarrah. Thanks fo the link
Willy

dr4g0nfly
15th April 2013, 05:33 AM
Willy,

another of your stunning burrs (burls), but no dimensions given!

Willy Nelson
15th April 2013, 07:09 PM
Willy,

another of your stunning burrs (burls), but no dimensions given!

errr isn't 37cm a dimension?

dr4g0nfly
15th April 2013, 11:20 PM
errr isn't 37cm a dimension?Errr, I must have read that 3 times and not seen it! As the saying here in the UK goes 'Should have gone to SpecSavers'.

Willy Nelson
16th April 2013, 09:27 AM
Errr, I must have read that 3 times and not seen it! As the saying here in the UK goes 'Should have gone to SpecSavers'.

Ha Ha, we also have the same saying from that same company here.

Maybe you just had a 'Man' look.

Cheers
Willy
Jarrahland

Tim the Timber Turner
17th April 2013, 08:52 PM
errr isn't 37cm a dimension?

37CM???
Naa!:no:
Dressmakers use CMs

370mm??
Yea!:2tsup:
Real woodworkers use MMs

Cheers

Tim:)

RETIRED
17th April 2013, 08:57 PM
or curtain makers. :whistling2:

Willy Nelson
19th April 2013, 02:01 PM
37CM???
Naa!:no:
Dressmakers use CMs

370mm??
Yea!:2tsup:
Real woodworkers use MMs

Cheers

Tim:)

Sorry Tim
What is a dress maker??????

Real wood workers don't know what a dress maker is :roll:

Bruce White
19th April 2013, 07:32 PM
Sorry Tim
What is a dress maker??????

Real wood workers don't know what a dress maker is :roll:
I am told that they are the people who clothe those lovely ladies who bought all my turnings at the markets last week. (called market research)