PDA

View Full Version : Identientification of some wood

RhysM
14th April 2013, 09:24 AM
Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone may know what this stump is. I picked it up from a demolition yard for free. They said it was of a tree that came down in the recent brisbane storms. It measures aprox 200 x 300 x 600. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. Perhaps some candle sticks, pen blanks or maybe even a couple of little jewelry boxes.

Cheers
Rhys

PS: Since taking the photo, I've cleaned the mold of it and sealed the ends to let it dry out for a while.

artme
14th April 2013, 10:12 AM
From what I can see it has reasonably prominent medullary rays, so going by that, the colour and the bark I think it is one of the Banksias.

corbs
14th April 2013, 10:18 AM
I'm guessing either Banksia or Casuarina.

chuck1
14th April 2013, 10:30 AM
as above! I'm leaning towards banksia due to the thickness of the bark so many trees so little time!

BlackbuttWA
14th April 2013, 11:02 AM
I also think Banksia due to the bark thickness, grain & how the trunk has "turned back on itself", which is fairly common with Banksia's.

Col

orraloon
14th April 2013, 11:28 AM
Like the rest said banksia or perhaps one of the sheoaks. I would be cutting it down the middle and removeing the pith as soon as possable. It will shrink a lot and crack if left in the round like that.
Regards
John

RhysM
14th April 2013, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking it was a native by the colour and grain. I should be getting a hold of a chainsaw next weekend so i'll take your advice orroloon.

Cheers
rhys.

Paul39
15th April 2013, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking it was a native by the colour and grain. I should be getting a hold of a chainsaw next weekend so i'll take your advice orroloon.

Cheers
rhys.

If it has begun to check / split, drive a wedge into the crack that will split it where you would like. By next week end it may split where you don't want it.

If you want to wait, keep it wet / damp. Lumber mills keep logs in water until they are milled.