PDA

View Full Version : fishing platform???

cookyboy
1st May 2005, 01:53 PM
greetings. I seek ideas http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon3.gif. I am no expert but not altogether useles & have triton 2000 and basic equipment. I have got ten strips of waterproof ply 5mm x 2400 x 300 mm & I want to build a fold up fishing platform folds bow to stern to form box to hold similar outriger - a box in a box -and decking [mabe rolled slat & stap] am I making any sense ? cooky

Daddles
1st May 2005, 03:15 PM
I'm a bit confused as to what you want and why you think this is a good thing.

Are you looking at building a square, collapsable raft? With outrigger?

Why? Collapsable suggests you'll be transporting it which means that when you get to the water, you need to be able to move it to the desired position - easily.

Wouldn't a boat be better? They don't have to be difficult or expensive - hell, plans for a Mouseboat are free, they use a sheet and a half of ply and work a treat - no, you won't stand in it but lots of them (including ours) are used for fishing. But there are other designs.

Your strips, of 'waterproof' ply, can be used to build even a flat bottomed boat. Be warned though, unless it's marine ply, it may not last as well as you think - waterproof for housebuilding is a different thing to being able to live in water (which is why they invented paint).

But, if you're determined to do this thing, build square pontoons and use your decking to hold it all together. Dunno that the outrigger is going to do much except get in the way.

Cheers
Richard

cookyboy
2nd May 2005, 12:36 PM
Richard. thanks for your imput. I know this may sound strange but the idea is to make a boat that can be folded to fit on my mountain bike trailer:o & not be too long or ungainly. The pontoon is desirable 'cause I sometimes hook fish that are big and scary and I don't like to end up in thier "personal space"!!!:( gordo.

Daddles
2nd May 2005, 01:09 PM
Okay, now it's making more sense.

Firstly, there are folding boats out there so go for a search on the internet. I suspect you won't find any free plans but you might find some ideas.

Second, the Mouseboat will do that job and is small enough to be towed behind a pushbike. The basic Mouse is 8' long but there are 10', 12' and 14' variants, all of which get used for fishing. I think this solution would be more durable than something that gets dismantled or folded and they have the advantage of time - you just chuck 'em in the water at the other end. And they are VERY good boats. My lad's Mouseboat is a much nicer boat to use than my tender.

Have a look at Gavin Atkin's site
http://home.clara.net/gmatkin/freedes.htm

He mentions some of the Mouse variants (he designed it) and if you go to the Mouseboats yahoo group site, you can see ALL the variants and get the plans for them free. Gav's also a good bloke to talk to so feel free to email him with your problem - he might even design something for you and feel free to mention my name.

Third, have you considered a canoe? Again, there are simple plans out there and quite useable for fishing - even if you catch a bigun. A flat bottom and two side planks would fit with your strips. Stich and glue construction.

Floatation can be built into boats, however, fixed, flotation chambers are hard to fold. However, empty plastic bottles work well and can be bundled. Those noodles kids use in swimming pools work very well and can be bundled. The thought is that a boat that folds flat with a bundle of noodles strapped on top would go on your trailer.

Have fun and I'm sure there is a solution to this.

Cheers
Richard

bitingmidge
2nd May 2005, 06:31 PM
No point in adding to what Richard has said,....EXCEPT:

Here's a picture of a Mouse, powered by pedal, AND with a bike trailer!!
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~talizmar/xntrick/boatpage.htm
It goes pretty well, and I reckon a small electric outboard would be a Killer!!

Cheers,

P

Barry_White
2nd May 2005, 06:39 PM
Peter

Where is the picture.

bitingmidge
2nd May 2005, 07:32 PM
Where is the picture.
Oops!!

Thanks Baz!!! It was still in my "clipboard" memory and all!!

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~talizmar/xntrick/boatpage.htm

Cheers,

P
:D

aussieglen
2nd May 2005, 09:12 PM
See the snap of a Coracle - small, round, lightweight boats which have been used for centuries and, upside down, could double as a roof for your trailer. Easy and quick to make there are many websites with help on this topic. I have a short movie clip of one being used on the Thames in England recently if you would like to see it. Could be ideal for your needs.
Aussieglen.

cookyboy
4th May 2005, 11:42 PM
top idea thanks G

Daddles
2nd June 2005, 03:35 PM
Here ya go Gordo. A 12' kayak that folds up into a pack that goes on your back.

12' long - cockpit 4' wide.

Pak Pak (http://www.rtpnet.org/robroy/pakyak/intro.html)

Cheers
Richard

cookyboy
7th June 2005, 03:55 PM
thanks Richard. truly amazing kyak but far too unstable considering the googly eyed sea monsters I'm likly to encounter in my local fishing hole sadly project is on hold for a bit. I have worked out my design and will post a rough plan when I can thanks again for the welcome imput.
all the best Gordo.

take this for what it's worth, step lightly on the earth!