PDA

View Full Version : New For Me

minus459
20th April 2013, 02:10 AM
G'day peeps, I don't think I've ever posted in this subforum so try to be nice ok?:B
I'm sometimes in the section below this where the pens get shown off, I am just starting to show some stuff in the CNC place but I wanted a change tonight and cut a slice from the firewood meant for the potbelly. It's only small about 110mm diameter and 30mm deep. In another age it may have been called an Ashtray, maybe I can call it a "shelled pistachio" bowl :;. Anyway thanks for looking and really I had a ball and that is why I do this stuphhhhhhh.

Syd Sellers
20th April 2013, 04:34 AM
G'day, looks pretty good to me.... What kind of wood is this???

artme
20th April 2013, 09:07 AM
Hey Minus, that's darned goodd!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Perhaps the wall could have been a little thinner.

I like the way you left a hint of burl around the outside!!

chuck1
20th April 2013, 03:04 PM
thats very nice! I would like to rummage through you "fire" wood pile!

Cliff Rogers
20th April 2013, 03:13 PM
It is called a 'Nut Bowl' & they are good fun for using up small bits too good to burn. :2tsup:

dr4g0nfly
20th April 2013, 04:58 PM
Minus, not normal to turn a bowl in that grain orientation so it's good to see someone take the rules and toss them out of the window.

I like this lots and have a few bit's of timber outside I can see this idea being tried on. Thanks for the inspiration.

Nanigai
20th April 2013, 05:15 PM
Sorry Minus, you've done it all wrong....too much wood left and you have to polish it until its as shiny as, may even have to cut it up and glue it back together to get a really good result....etc, etc :U

Seriously though, if you do what you like and it comes out OK, that's all that's needed. Innovators don't follow any rules, they make them up as they go..cheers for a great unique piece.
Ian

minus459
22nd April 2013, 03:09 AM
Thank to all for such supportive comments, yeah I've still got lots to learn but the info I get from you guys is what eventually might make me better. Thanks heaps.

undies