PDA

View Full Version : Dust extraction and fire prevention

Tiger
2nd May 2005, 02:27 PM
I am in the final stages of the dust extractor. One problem though is connecting the machines to the pvc. Connecting the flexible hose to the various machines' ports means that the flexible hose is bent drastically (at the port) and that usually results in the hose loosening or coming off. What is the solution? I could place bolts there but then I would lose some versatility when I need to connect another machine.

Also read a harrowing report in Fine Woodworking of a woodworker who lost his entire workshop through fire. How serious do we take the fire risk and what do we do to prevent fire? I am interested in knowing what others do if anything.

soundman
2nd May 2005, 10:36 PM
The smoldering problem is real but you can eliminate the risks with some care.
The problem is "hot" items getting into the dust bag.
Eliminate the hot item risk. Don't cut nails or other metal if you can help it. Don't allow the tool to burn in the wood, I recon if you have a problem with "hot" timber chips either you are trying tooo hard or your blades are blunt.
If it realy concerns you, empty your dust bag at the end of every day.

While I do believe this is a real problem ( unlike the static/ bang thing) & I have read/ heard stories I have not seen myself or spoken directly to anyone who has had a problem.
If you use propper care & propper cleanliness you shouldn't miss any sleep.
cheers

vsquizz
2nd May 2005, 10:58 PM
Exactly what Soundman says. Hot stuff/sparks etc entering your system will cause a real problem. One galoot I read about, who had a fire, decided that he'd run a small hose from his woodworking dust extraction system up to his bench grinder to catch the sparks:eek: .

Cheers