PDA

View Full Version : Textured, Coloured Platter

dr4g0nfly
28th April 2013, 05:28 AM
Having a play with the Mini Arbortech I bought at Yandles.

Today's efforts include this Textured, Coloured Platter. Beech 295mm dia by 300mm deep. 2 passes at 300 rpm gave me this texture.

Coloured using Spirit Stains. I only used 3 (Black Red & Yellow) so was amazed to see the purple appear in the middle.

Photographed in natural light to try and get the colours to show properly - which looks to have failed as I can't see the purple, or orange as clearly in the first picture in my screen as I can otherwise.

C & C as always, and thanks for looking.

bassmansimon
28th April 2013, 10:10 AM
Just amazing. I don't know how you got it to look like sun rays bursting out from the centre, but awesome stuff

turnerted
28th April 2013, 05:53 PM
A spectacular effect. I'll have to try this.
Do you have any problem with the spirit stain leaching to where you don't want it?
Is the "300mm deep" a typo?
Ted

dr4g0nfly
28th April 2013, 06:21 PM
Thanks Guy's,

Ted, yes, finger fault it should have read 30mm, you can knock off 5 minutes early today!

I created the texture by setting the toolrest to;

a. Support the Arbortech and
b. Allow me to just skim the surface of the wood at a constant depth.

The with the lathe running at 300 rpm I took two passes. De-fluffed the texture with a small blowtorch.

The spirit stain did penetrate the broken fibres so when I added the inner & outer rim it was a case of cutting deep enough to get past it. I applied it with a Mouth Atomiser (http://www.artshedbrisbane.com.au/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=968&category_id=134&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=8) (no spray system yet) and was pleased to see none found it's way onto the underside of the platter.

RETIRED
28th April 2013, 06:36 PM
and was pleased to see none found it's way onto the underside of the platter.or your mouth. :roflmao:

ian thorn
28th April 2013, 10:33 PM
Nice job and I can just see the purple on my screen in the right hand pic

artme
29th April 2013, 08:35 AM
A beautifully done piece!! The colouring is very effective!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

smiife
29th April 2013, 08:39 PM
hi dr4gOnfly,
looks great, love the colours,must have a go at that one day
my self,well done :cool:
cheers smiife:2tsup: