PDA

View Full Version : Help!! I have been corrupted.

Pages : [1] 2

RETIRED
28th April 2013, 01:10 PM
I knew that visiting interstate woodies and having them stay at my place when down here would eventually result in me catching some sort of weird, wonderful and exotic far north Queensland disease.

I must have got a good dose because I didn't start with something small, oh no, it has to be BIG!!

This is the start of a table base.

Damn you Jim.:D

tea lady
28th April 2013, 01:19 PM
Are you doing additions to 360 in your sleep yet? :D

Mr Brush
28th April 2013, 01:52 PM
This looks like one case where having a bit left over is REALLY bad news......:oo:

nz_carver
28th April 2013, 02:02 PM
When's it hitting the lather??? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Grumpy John
28th April 2013, 02:14 PM
You obviously haven't done anything since Friday, the floor's still clean :stirthepot:.

I just know I'm going to regret posting this :doh:.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th April 2013, 02:16 PM
Taking up gluing as a back-up hobby? :D

tea lady
28th April 2013, 03:20 PM
Can we see a pic of the sliding fence on the TS? I think I need one of those. :pi:

Pat
28th April 2013, 03:45 PM
, buy more glue :;

Grommett
28th April 2013, 03:54 PM
This is the sort of thing you do when you retire!

nz_carver
28th April 2013, 04:47 PM
So you cut large bits of wood into small bits of wood ?
Then you glue them together to make big bits of wood?
Then take the big bits of wood glue them together to make a large bit of wood?

Then you turn the large bit of wood to be a big bit of wood??
:D:q:U

Grumpy John
28th April 2013, 05:31 PM
That could be the new definition of segmenting :2tsup:.

Phil Spencer
28th April 2013, 05:39 PM
That will teach you

chuck1
28th April 2013, 07:05 PM
long as you know where all the bits go!

NCArcher
28th April 2013, 08:19 PM
Very Interesting :hmm:
Any clamping involved or just rubbed together?

powderpost
28th April 2013, 08:56 PM
Ahhh, Mr Robertson, 'tis good for my old heart and new eyes, to see that at last you have seen the light and started into the delicate art of segmenting. I am positive that you will get much more satisfaction and pleasure from this new phase, than you ever achieved by bludgeoning a tree into shape with crow bar and chain saw. It must have been that relaxing week and the anticipation, in Barcaldine on the way north, that encouraged you to mend your ways. Very well done.
:spyme: :roflmao:
The master corrupter from the deep far north

chambezio
28th April 2013, 09:24 PM
It's a jacuzzi hot tub thingy. Just the thing to relax in with stubby (beer) after slaving over a hot lathe all day

RETIRED
28th April 2013, 09:26 PM
Are you doing additions to 360 in your sleep yet? :DNope, but plenty of division and muliplication.:D

This looks like one case where having a bit left over is REALLY bad news......:oo:OH YEAH baby.:rolleyes:

When's it hitting the lather??? :rolleyes::rolleyes:Later this week I hope.

RETIRED
28th April 2013, 09:29 PM
You obviously haven't done anything since Friday, the floor's still clean :stirthepot:.

I just know I'm going to regret posting this :doh:.Yep.

Taking up gluing as a back-up hobby? :DNever. Only as an adjunct to obtain suitably sized blanks for real work.:wink:

Can we see a pic of the sliding fence on the TS? I think I need one of those. :pi:If you do a search for table saw sleds you will find heaps and probably betterer than mine.:wink:

RETIRED
28th April 2013, 09:31 PM
, buy more glue :; Got enough I think, I hope.

This is the sort of thing you do when you retire!Some say I have.:cool:

So you cut large bits of wood into small bits of wood ?
Then you glue them together to make big bits of wood?
Then take the big bits of wood glue them together to make a large bit of wood?

Then you turn the large bit of wood to be a big bit of wood??
:D:q:UJust about sums it up. Loonies all of 'em, I say.:D

jefferson
28th April 2013, 09:32 PM
Jim, what have you done! Bl00dy northern Qlders!

Surely will need a new Stubby to turn that beast into round?

RETIRED
28th April 2013, 09:34 PM
That will teach youProbably not.:wink:

long as you know where all the bits go!I hope so too Chuck.

Very Interesting :hmm:
Any clamping involved or just rubbed together?The joints are just rubbed but i may clamp (strap) the 2 halves together just to be on the safe side.

coffenup
28th April 2013, 09:34 PM
well done Jim another one to the dark side of lamianting
Regards Michael

RETIRED
28th April 2013, 09:42 PM
Ahhh, Mr Robertson, 'tis good for my old heart and new eyes, to see that at last you have seen the light and started into the delicate art of segmenting. I am positive that you will get much more satisfaction and pleasure from this new phase, than you ever achieved by bludgeoning a tree into shape with crow bar and chain saw. It must have been that relaxing week and the anticipation, in Barcaldine on the way north, that encouraged you to mend your ways. Very well done.
The master corrupter from the deep far northGood to see the eyes are going well. Mum had hers done a couple of months ago and reckons it was the best thing ever.

I reckon that I have started down a road to doom and frustration if I follow your path.

I obtain a great deal of satisfaction coercing a rugged piece of natures species into an object that is loved and revered by its recipients after my administrations on the object.

That week in Barcy (Qld. speak) was not spent contemplating the marvels of segmented work but contemplating the fate of being stuck there forever and how I would have Henry shipped up there to complete my being.:D

RETIRED
28th April 2013, 09:44 PM
It's a jacuzzi hot tub thingy. Just the thing to relax in with stubby (beer) after slaving over a hot lathe all dayI just about need it.

Jim, what have you done! Bl00dy northern Qlders!

Surely will need a new Stubby to turn that beast into round?Natasha will breeze it in.:D

well done Jim another one to the dark side of lamianting
Regards MichaelLamenting you mean.:C

RETIRED
28th April 2013, 09:46 PM
You might have to start reading again. Added lots. :roflmao:

ian thorn
28th April 2013, 10:18 PM
I can see those northeners have turned you round and now youve gone to pieces :wink:

Ian

Tim the Timber Turner
28th April 2013, 10:21 PM
Maaate.

Your brain has been corrupted.

You been drawn into the dark side.

I knew that Jimmy fellow was up to no good with all them photos of slugmented stuff.

It's one thing for him to spend hours cutting up good wood and gluing it back together.

It's another thing altogether for him to start brain-washing us southerners.

! you need a weekend at SAturn in July where we can start you on a detox programme.

Remember mate, all is not lost, we are here to help you in this time of crisis.

Cheers

Tim:)

hughie
28th April 2013, 10:29 PM
Counselling, counselling :no: its the only answer, plenty of it and quick.

Nah I reckon you'll handle it. Segmenting is OK, but some days it nice to start and finish same day. :U

TTIT
28th April 2013, 10:32 PM
Saw the heading and thought 'ah-ha, he's finally turned a pen' but it wasn't to be :no: Maybe this is just the next step towards making one :;

Cliff Rogers
28th April 2013, 10:33 PM
Oh you sad man, you sad sad man. :rolleyes:

Next thing you will be putting threads on it. :cool:

I wonder if hughie can make threading tools that do 1.5 TPI? :think:

RETIRED
28th April 2013, 11:12 PM
Unfortunately Tim I cannot take up your kind offer of a shoulder to cry on at Saturn as we are attending a local event.

Hughie, I think you may have nailed it. I shall seek solace in turning some verandah posts this week.

Vern, I am not that corrupted or demented yet.

Cliffy, I know mate. :D

dai sensei
29th April 2013, 07:16 PM
Oh you sad man, you sad sad man. :rolleyes:

Next thing you will be putting threads on it. :cool:

I wonder if hughie can make threading tools that do 1.5 TPI? :think:

And what about a rebate at the top filled with glitter and gumnuts :rotfl:

nz_carver
29th April 2013, 09:30 PM
at least it's its not a pen mate.:doh:
hmmm a 30ft slim line think of all the glitter and nail polish needed for that Neil???:q

RETIRED
29th April 2013, 09:35 PM
And what about a rebate at the top filled with glitter and gumnuts :rotfl:I was wondering when you you would turn up.:D

I know it will be the final straw into the depths of depravity when that happens and my corruption will be complete. Back Satan I say. Back!!!!!!:D

powderpost
29th April 2013, 10:04 PM
You cannot beat the "force", give in and enjoy the ride.... :zap:
Darth Vader

Cliff Rogers
29th April 2013, 10:26 PM
And what about a rebate at the top filled with glitter and gumnuts :rotfl:

Pink? Yes, pink glitter I think that would be just the ticket. :think:

Sawdust Maker
30th April 2013, 07:33 AM
best thread I've read in ages :2tsup:

glitter and gumnuts :rotfl:

Grumpy John
30th April 2013, 08:07 AM
The master corrupter from the deep far north

I'm going to get a micrometer and set of feeler gauges Jim :wink:. Just so he can get to within a tenth of a thou, just like you do.

Sawdust Maker
30th April 2013, 09:37 AM
I'm going to get a micrometer and set of feeler gauges Jim :wink:. Just so he can get to within a tenth of a thou, just like you do.

:laughing1: :clap:

wheelinround
30th April 2013, 09:41 AM
Whats going to be interesting is the deep hollowing rig set up what bowl gouge will he use

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th April 2013, 01:53 PM
Whats going to be interesting is the deep hollowing rig set up what bowl gouge will he use

An arbortech mounted on the end of a 6' length of 2" steel rod...

Grommett
30th April 2013, 02:07 PM
All this for the worlds largest salad bowl! And we don't even see salad at the GTGs (thank goodness).

tea lady
30th April 2013, 02:41 PM
All this for the worlds largest salad bowl! And we don't even see salad at the GTGs (thank goodness).I brought salad to a GTG once at DJ's. Or rather, I took a salad for a drive to Warbarton and took it home again afterwards. :doh: I don't bring salad anymore. I bring Chocolate ripple cake.

A Duke
30th April 2013, 03:02 PM
I brought salad to a GTG once at DJ's. Or rather, I took a salad for a drive to Warbarton and took it home again afterwards. :doh: I don't bring salad anymore. I bring Chocolate ripple cake.:no:No wonder there is an obesity epidemic here and now.:wink:
Regards

tea lady
30th April 2013, 03:19 PM
:no:No wonder there is an obesity epidemic here and now.:wink:
RegardsShould I have made the salad walk? :D

cookie48
30th April 2013, 06:04 PM
Probably not.:wink:

I hope so too Chuck.

The joints are just rubbed but i may clamp (strap) the 2 halves together just to be on the safe side.

Why bother with playing safe with a little bit of timber. You never do with the bloody big logs you hack into

RETIRED
30th April 2013, 07:23 PM
Actually I play very safely with big logs. Check and recheck and then do it over again.

We ended up rub jointing the halves together. Gotta live on the edge sometimes.:wink::D

hughie
2nd May 2013, 09:28 AM
You can get into some strife when turning a chunk of hardwood. Its doesn't bare thinking the amount of trouble you could get into with a big log :o :no:

Grumpy John
2nd May 2013, 09:39 AM

All this for the worlds largest salad bowl! And we don't even see salad at the GTGs (thank goodness).

It's a table guys, not a bowl. No need to hollow out.:D

chambezio
2nd May 2013, 10:33 AM
Any chance of some current photos? It will be interesting to get an idea of size of this "table leg".

By the way Cliff, at the last Blue Mountains GTG someone asked about making pens......he was very emphatic about the subject. If you heard his sentence then you would know a pen would be the last thing on his ToDo list

Cliff Rogers
2nd May 2013, 02:30 PM
By the way Cliff, at the last Blue Mountains GTG someone asked about making pens......he was very emphatic about the subject. If you heard his sentence then you would know a pen would be the last thing on his ToDo listI suspect you may have me confused with somebody else. :think:

I know all about pens, raw sugar, & multigrain bread. :D

chambezio
2nd May 2013, 02:55 PM
Sorry Cliff you are right it TTIT that I meant to direct that comment to. But by your reply you have had his opinion spelt out to you too :B

Grumpy John
2nd May 2013, 03:00 PM
, would you please post some more pictures so that this thread can get back on topic :p.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd May 2013, 04:18 PM
It's a table guys, not a bowl. No need to hollow out.:D

If says it's a table, then it's a table. No matter if, when all is said and done, it ends up turning out looking like the mutant offspring between a bowl and a turnip.

(After all, you really don't wanna argue with someone who can use an arbortech bolted to a forklift tine as a hollowing tool... :innocent:)

RETIRED
2nd May 2013, 06:15 PM
Here are the first layers fitted to the faceplate.

Halfway through to 18 layers.

wheelinround
2nd May 2013, 06:27 PM
Beam me up Scotty

or is it

Trying to take the bow out of the lathe bed

A Duke
2nd May 2013, 06:57 PM
:2tsup: I like the six inch brads.
Regards

dai sensei
2nd May 2013, 07:23 PM
Funny looking table, or is this the stand :?

RETIRED
2nd May 2013, 07:33 PM
Yep.

RETIRED
2nd May 2013, 07:34 PM
:2tsup: I like the six inch brads.
RegardsCouldn't find the railway spikes. :kickcan:

Sawdust Maker
2nd May 2013, 10:22 PM
in a subtle misdirection, was really taking the sag out of the roof

RETIRED
2nd May 2013, 10:54 PM
in a subtle misdirection, was really taking the sag out of the roofNope, Henry developed a bow in the bed.:rolleyes:

Paul39
3rd May 2013, 03:55 AM
Here are the first layers fitted to the faceplate.

Halfway through to 18 layers.

I love the size veneer press!! I'm sure if he were given a truck load of pen blanks he could make a 1 meter diameter bowl.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd May 2013, 01:56 PM
Hmmm... ? When drawing up the plans to predetermine the individual ring sizes, did you draw up a full scale set of plans?

Or just a small set (say 10:1) and multiply the dimensions?

(Assuming that you did nut it out on paper first? :rolleyes:)

cookie48
3rd May 2013, 03:05 PM
This table is going to way a ton. I hope it for use on the ground floor of a building. Otherwise you could end end up with the top floor with the ground floor.
Will admit tho I do like the way it is going.
What lathe are you using to turn it on ??
Cookie

RETIRED
3rd May 2013, 03:41 PM
Hmmm... ? When drawing up the plans to predetermine the individual ring sizes, did you draw up a full scale set of plans?

Or just a small set (say 10:1) and multiply the dimensions?

(Assuming that you did nut it out on paper first? :rolleyes:)I did a full scale drawing (Ken would be proud) to determine the overlap needed for glue contact and where to put the chicken factor (commonly called screws) so that they were clear when turning.

Christos
3rd May 2013, 11:20 PM
Now that is looking really good. Great to see this work in progress. :2tsup:

RETIRED
4th May 2013, 12:11 AM
Well the glue up is finished. I will let it sit over the weekend for the glue to really cure.

Those of you that wanted to come over while I was turning it, well be here on Tuesday morning before 9.00am 'cause that is T (turning) or D (Disaster) Day.:D

Pat
4th May 2013, 07:44 AM
, could you get this on video? Maybe John can use his photography skills.

Paul39
4th May 2013, 08:39 AM
Well the glue up is finished. I will let it sit over the weekend for the glue to really cure.

Those of you that wanted to come over while I was turning it, well be here on Tuesday morning before 9.00am 'cause that is T (turning) or D (Disaster) Day.:D

Three or four wraps of glass fiber packing tape on two or three places might be in order.

The glue up looks to be a beautiful table.

Christos
4th May 2013, 09:27 AM
....Those of you that wanted to come over while I was turning it, well be here on Tuesday morning before 9.00am 'cause that is T (turning) or D (Disaster) Day.:D

When is Tea time? :U

wheelinround
5th May 2013, 10:44 AM
When is Tea time? :U

More like when isn't it:p

Sawdust Maker
6th May 2013, 01:44 PM
Where's today's progress :duck:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th May 2013, 03:02 PM
Watching the glue dry?

I reckon I would be, too. Something that size, I'd want the glue to be good 'n ready before I spin it up! :D

A Duke
6th May 2013, 03:08 PM
Where's today's progress :duck:

Today's Monday, he said Tuesday.
Regards

Sawdust Maker
6th May 2013, 09:24 PM
Today's Monday, he said Tuesday.
Regards

So he did :doh:

So what did he do today?

Colin62
6th May 2013, 10:00 PM

So what did he do today?

Hopefully he's busy setting up the webcam while the glue dries... :)

Paul39
7th May 2013, 10:17 AM

So what did he do today?

Tea time.

wheelinround
7th May 2013, 01:23 PM
Thing is Guanu Juan may be just getting home from places north of the boarder seems he tunneled his way across the boarder straight up the Great Divide to the Blue Mnts. His hands maybe still frozen from the cold winds from the south and not capable of holding the camera steady............or is that fear of what is turning and what could happen.

Grumpy John
7th May 2013, 08:03 PM
Here's a short time lapse video of turning the table. I actually taped the GoPro to one of 's chisels, but unfortunately I must have pressed the wrong button as that one didn't work, must try it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVbZ8AKY-ks&feature=youtu.be

NCArcher
7th May 2013, 08:11 PM
Thanks GJ. :2tsup: Definately give the GoPro another go...pro.
Good to see you again on Sunday.

That table is going to look pretty spectacular.

RETIRED
7th May 2013, 08:17 PM
Fastest I have moved for years.:D

powderpost
7th May 2013, 08:47 PM
Gotta admit that rear end sway is something to behold. Would be good to see in a tutu and point shoes???........... :)( :no:.

The chief corrupter

nz_carver
7th May 2013, 09:04 PM
I love it that's gold I think I cracked a rib lmao
I have not seen you move that fast since I opened a packet of jam fill doughnuts mate :D

Grumpy if you added the chicken dance as a background song I'd say you will get 10000 hits on YouTube :hpydans:

But all jokes aside I think it's grate and grumpy :2tsup:

RETIRED
7th May 2013, 09:25 PM
You're all rude to me.:p:D

wheelinround
7th May 2013, 09:34 PM
Sound track should be this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeNPzU5ib54

RETIRED
7th May 2013, 09:40 PM
Nope. this one- Pakhomova Gorshkov La_Cumparsita - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZfGa0o6vmQ)

Grumpy John
7th May 2013, 09:45 PM
You're all wrong, it's gotta be this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69UMdyu30qQ

wheelinround
7th May 2013, 09:48 PM
Ah more high brow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nge54yVE0is

Sawdust Maker
7th May 2013, 11:12 PM
I was going to say something rude about wriggling of the hips ... but I've decided not to :q

Cliff Rogers
8th May 2013, 09:31 AM
Nope. this one- Pakhomova Gorshkov La_Cumparsita - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZfGa0o6vmQ)

She doesn't look anything like you. :think:

Grumpy John
8th May 2013, 06:33 PM
You're all rude to me.:p:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znodcpMzcnA

wheelinround
8th May 2013, 06:42 PM
Just watched again and yep at about .55 into the video he drops or breaks his tool and then turns to camera to show it.

What happened?

Grumpy John
8th May 2013, 07:37 PM
Actually that was a dirty great chip coming off the job.

Grumpy John
10th May 2013, 07:30 PM
We've all had a good laugh at 's expense since I posted the lime tapse video of him turning that big table base. The truth is, that when turning large pieces like this you have to use more lower body than upper body to remove material quickly, it's called the "turners tango".

Couldn't resist :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wd2DveN0R0

Sawdust Maker
10th May 2013, 09:30 PM
Hip sync ... love it :U

RETIRED
10th May 2013, 11:16 PM
I finally finished it today.

This was the dry look,

this one wet with a damp cloth.

Colin62
10th May 2013, 11:22 PM
I finally finished it today.

That looks good.

The tail stock just looks too small to make a difference in those pictures :)

dai sensei
10th May 2013, 11:55 PM
So how big is it? And what does is the actual table going to be?

Sawdust Maker
11th May 2013, 09:06 AM
looks good

what finish is going on it?