PDA

View Full Version : new vicmarc

hughie
28th April 2013, 09:52 PM
It seems this one is still on somewhere as I found some additional pics. They come from a variety of sites.

RETIRED
28th April 2013, 09:55 PM
Glen Lucas had it up on his site I think.

daryl1
28th April 2013, 09:59 PM
I saw this lathe at Vicmarc in Clontarf, north of Brisbane late last year when my local men's shed has a tour of the factory. It is aimed at the USA market. Very heavy lathe, about 700-800kg. Retail about $13,000 AU.

hughie
28th April 2013, 10:01 PM
I saw this lathe at Vicmarc in Clontarf, north of Brisbane late last year when my local men's shed has a tour of the factory. It is aimed at the USA market. Very heavy lathe, about 700-800kg. Retail about $13,000 AU.

Ha! 13k, a mere bagatelle :U

RETIRED
28th April 2013, 10:02 PM
As it is no longer a secret and pics have been released I will let you know what it is like in about 3 weeks as I am giving it a workout then.

I have been told by others that have tried it that it is reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaal sweet.

hughie
28th April 2013, 10:15 PM
As it is no longer a secret and pics have been released I will let you know what it is like in about 3 weeks as I am giving it a workout then.

I have been told by others that have tried it that it is reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaal sweet.

Sigh....... you gonna post a review?

chuck1
28th April 2013, 10:19 PM
let me know if they are selling the demo model!

RETIRED
28th April 2013, 11:06 PM
Sigh....... you gonna post a review?Yep.

nz_carver
29th April 2013, 12:03 AM
I was talking to Glenn hes played on it he was telling me its nice but a little over kill for the everyday woodturner.

He told me that if it goes to market it's going to be a limited number made
5hp, 3 phase and over the $12,000 price tag

But its a 1200 swing over the bed with is not much bigger then 95% of the 1000s Omga Stubbys out there.

I'm not 100% on what the between centres is ???

But it looks like a Omega Stubby made love to a VB 36 and this is the end resalte.

Pat
29th April 2013, 05:21 AM
NZ, what will you do, keep your lathe or go the new Vic?????

I suppose I could "store" your current full size lathe at my place indefinitely . . . . :;

Wood Nut
29th April 2013, 08:32 AM

Sooooooo , you will bring it with you to my place in late May? I can organise a crane and give you my opinion if you leave it here for a while:U. A few months should suffice.
I won't even charge for my time:D

Cheers,
Paul

nz_carver
29th April 2013, 08:35 AM
Yeah ok pat but you have to fight off for it he gets dibs on it.
but keep in mind he's got a forklift

Allan at Wallan
29th April 2013, 10:41 AM
I was talking to Glenn hes played on it he was telling me its nice but a little over kill for the everyday woodturner.

He told me that if it goes to market it's going to be a limited number made
5hp, 3 phase and over the $12,000 price tag

But its a 1200 swing over the bed with is not much bigger then 95% of the 1000s Omga Stubbys out there.

I'm not 100% on what the between centres is ???

But it looks like a Omega Stubby made love to a VB 36 and this is the end resalte.

"But it looks like a Omega Stubby made love to a VB 36"
.... now there is a combination which may be attractive
to some woodies, a Stubby making love to a VB.

:snog:

Allan

Swino
29th April 2013, 11:44 AM
It certainly looks like a beauty. I don't think it is "out there" yet just lots of rumours and speculation which have been periodically circulating over the past few years.....the same pics being re-circulated. Still in the developing and testing phase I believe. Vicmarc looks to have really built a nice lathe though that has been well designed and robustly constructed.

Will await an official release with eager anticipation. I might have to get three phase fitted...

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th April 2013, 12:31 PM
I love the tail-stock end, it looks so... 'versatile.'

I'm not to sure about the headstock end, though; it looks like the bed swivels around underneath the head-stock. I imagine that'd be handy-dandy in practice but I do have some concerns about the overall rigidity at that end under heavy, irregular loads.

Not that I'd ever swing anything that big... then again, if I had $13K to spend I imagine finding lumps to throw on it wouldn't be a problem. :D

All in all, I don't particularly covet it. Yet. :wink:

rsser
29th April 2013, 04:36 PM
Look forward to 's review.

But really it should be tested alongside the VB36 (or 72!) and the Stubby 1000.

What's interesting is what VM sees the market as. It'd have to be the US in which case surely diff. electronics and motor would be needed to match their voltage? Victor might send them over 'bare' as happens with Stubbies, esp. given the exchange rate.

Pat
29th April 2013, 08:06 PM
Yeah ok pat but you have to fight off for it he gets dibs on it.
but keep in mind he's got a forklift

might have a forklift, but I am 10 hours closer:U

Tim the Timber Turner
29th April 2013, 08:48 PM
I ordered one but they couldn't supply in single phase.:~
O well I'll just have to wait for the VL900.:U
Cheers
Tim:)

smiife
29th April 2013, 09:13 PM
hi guys,
looks like a very versatile lathe ,can't wait to see it
in the flesh , as it were!!!!!!!!!!!,the power cord looks a bit messy:o
watching with interest,
cheers smiife:2tsup:

jefferson
29th April 2013, 09:56 PM
I ordered one but they couldn't supply in single phase.:~
Cheers

Are you serious Tim or just joking? Surely Vicmarc can provide a single phase motor at 4 HP? Not too many hobby turners who might be interested have access to 3 phase power. :(

Tim the Timber Turner
29th April 2013, 10:59 PM
Are you serious Tim or just joking? Surely Vicmarc can provide a single phase motor at 4 HP? Not too many hobby turners who might be interested have access to 3 phase power. :(

Not many hobby turners have 13 grand to drop on their hobby.

But your right Jeff, not having single phase could be a deal breaker for some.

And yes I was joking.

Cheers

cookie48
30th April 2013, 06:10 PM
Gee you could make some biiiiiiiiiiiiig pens on that one:D

Wood Nut
30th April 2013, 06:42 PM
Gee you could make some biiiiiiiiiiiiig pens on that one:D

Forget about big pens.

What about miniature spindles? Ken Wraight perhaps? :D
Surely it would dampen any vibration:;

Or even larger ones like Cindy Drozda.:D

Must check the depth of concrete in the workshop before ordering one:no::no::no: I'd need to cash in my super!

nz_carver
30th April 2013, 09:26 PM
Look forward to 's review.

But really it should be tested alongside the VB36 (or 72!) and the Stubby 1000.

What's interesting is what VM sees the market as. It'd have to be the US in which case surely diff. electronics and motor would be needed to match their voltage? Victor might send them over 'bare' as happens with Stubbies, esp. given the exchange rate.
That's a good point I'd say stranded Stubby 1000
And be nice to see how it goes next to a Vermec modded 1000s as well

NeilS
5th May 2013, 09:52 PM

If that's the bigger brother to the swivel head V175, then I'll definitely put an order in for that one.

A 3hp motor will do and would be as much as I would ever need. Besides the cost of running it, I can't imagine what you would need 5hp for (our power poles are made from steel and concrete over here).

Sevilla
8th May 2013, 05:50 AM
I believe Vicmarc is coming out with an improved VL300.
Perhaps some of the features of the 600 will be incorporated in the new 300.
Anybody knows anything about it?:no:

Jim Carroll
8th May 2013, 01:18 PM
All will be revealed next week at the brisbane Timber & Working With Wood show, where we will have a demo model on display.

Mostly cosmetic but still nice changes.