PDA

View Full Version : Live centre systems?

nz_carver
29th April 2013, 12:33 AM
After upgrading my drive centres to sorby steb centres
adding a sixty Degree' live centre and a woodfast heavy duty cup centre.
I'm looking in to a live centre system,
Nova,Stubby,Vermec , Sorby who's using what?
And what do you think of them?
The good the bad the just don't buy???

dennisk
29th April 2013, 01:33 AM
I am using the Oneway on the Titan and had one for the old Wadkin as well, and it seems to work well for me. They are readily available here as well and I never really looked at anything else, but have nothing to complain about.

China
29th April 2013, 03:11 AM
I have been using Woofast live centre for 40+ years, never have even had a hint of trouble

dr4g0nfly
29th April 2013, 03:40 AM
NZ,

If you do that much work between centres I'd suggest you look at a pair of Matched Ring Centres.

They are great for reversing a spindle and knowing that the alignment will be spot on.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th April 2013, 12:45 PM
I like the Nova system, never had a problem with mine.

Although - if I recall correctly - Grumpy John really didn't like the quality of machining on his... (I think this is a before- & after-China thing.)

Big Shed
29th April 2013, 12:51 PM
I use the Sorby revolving centre set and really like it, it gives me lots of options.

It gets used on both my wood lathe and my metal lathe.

Seriously thinking about getting a second set.

It is much smaller in diameter than the standard live centres and doesn't get in the the way as much.

I don't whether the Nova system has improved, but when I was in the market I took one look at it at Carbatec and put it back on the shelf, an impression later reinforced by Grumpy John's experience.

Some more opinions here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/live-centre-sets-116136/).

nz_carver
29th April 2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks for that Fred I use Robert Sorby steb centres so I'd say I might get the Sorby one.
the stubby one and the Vermec one look the same

Not a fan oh the nova ones as I don't think nova is what it use to be

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th April 2013, 03:16 PM
McJing (http://www.mcjing.com.au/categorybrowser.aspx?categoryid=77) have a nice range of kit at reasonable prices.

Can't speak for the quality of 'em, though.

rsser
29th April 2013, 04:17 PM
I like the Nova system but as posted the QC can be hit and miss. The removable cup centre on mine need a minute or two of filing and it was good.

It's very versatile, and the guts of the system is heavy enough to mount a metre of 4x4 redgum. That lump came off with the std live centre on my lathe. (A diff. kind of lathe tango was exercised on that day).

Pat
29th April 2013, 08:18 PM
NZ, I can bring my NZ made Nova Live Center on Sunday for a comparo, if you want.

No it is not for sale:q

issatree
29th April 2013, 09:02 PM
Hi All,
My Friend made my Live Centre, 2 bearings, Ring ½ in. Never missed a beat & has done thousands of Jobs.

I gave away those horrible 4 cross Drive Dogs, to Dangerous to my mind.
So I make my Own.
Cut an old MT2 Drill, Heat the end so you can Turn it.
Give it a wood whack up the Drive Spindle
I actually use a piece of McJing'c ¼in. x ¼in. HSS in the Shape of Skewchegouge.

I Actually Turn the Speed down to do this job.
You may have to Sharpen the Tool a couple of times, as it makes the Turning easier.

So I end up with a Ring & Cone Centre.
It is really Simple to do.

If you want too, you can Reheat the Turned End & Quench it in some Water.
It makes it a little bit harder.

I sell these occasionally, for $22.

chuck1
29th April 2013, 10:34 PM
the old nova system was great we had one at work and stood up to the abuse of turning 8 hours a day 5 days a week and the odd big job! the new version I got goes ok, the only let down is the hole in the ring centre is smaller than the old model for long hole boring for lamps! which ive got to fix. it's got some great bits that comes with it , it has screw thread so you can make custom centres

TTIT
29th April 2013, 10:36 PM
McJing (http://www.mcjing.com.au/categorybrowser.aspx?categoryid=77) have a nice range of kit at reasonable prices.

Can't speak for the quality of 'em, though.I can! . . . . but wish I couldn't if you know what I mean :B:B The only reason I keep it is because I made my loaded centre (http://www.ttit.id.au/gadgets/gadgets.htm#Loaded) to suit it and it probably won't fit any of the good quality sets. One day I'll get a better set and make another loaded centre to suit that - - - one day :C

michael_m
29th April 2013, 10:38 PM
I've only had my Nova live centre a week, so can't comment on its longevity, but it is a solid piece of equipment (and runs true etc..., so I'm happy). No slop in the bearings, everything fits as it should, does the job nicely.

The stub MT2 "noses" (for want of a better term) were a major attraction for me - it gives me a dead ring centre and my old live centre can act as another ring centre. It also gives me the ability to turn pens without a mandrel. The ability to screw on any homebuilt nose was also a selling point for me.

I don't know how old it is, but I am assuming quite new - I bought it off Amazon after a disappointing trip to Carbatec where I was told there was one "out the back somewhere on a pallet", but they weren't prepared to look for it now - if I paid for postage as well, I could have it in a week though. Amazon was $10 cheaper including postage than the store price alone, and had it to me in 6 days.

NCPaladin
30th April 2013, 05:33 AM
Nothing against any others but I have the Nova also. It does have three sets of bearings.
As Michael said, you can use the cup center in the headstock as a “safety center”. I use it often with the “threaded insert” in the headstock for driving small items (the MT is not long so I would not drive anything large). I even ordered a separated threaded insert to have one in the headstock and live center if I wished. I may use the small rubber ball to prevent damage from the headstock to a bud vase opening and a point at the tailstock.
I like to do things only once so I used tee nuts and appropriate size bolts for most custom items but you can use the lag bolt provided.

Sawdust Maker
30th April 2013, 07:19 AM
I got the sorby set from Jim a few woodwork shows ago - it's good, works well

PS I've sometimes thought that a live stebcentre would be handy ...

Paul39
30th April 2013, 09:14 AM
I have been using the Oneway center set for 5 years on the 350mm sing Hegner and the 20 inch swing Woodfast. It is a well made set and takes big out of balance bowl chunks in stride. Nicely made, finished, and strong.

I bought a barely used Nova set from a turning school last year for $40, definitely worth that. I have used it a little, bearings seem to be good, lots of variations of centers. Sometimes a bit sticky to knock apart. The finish is a slightly grainy black oxide.

I do like the steel cone for making big ferrules from copper or steel tubing. It is not eaten up like the aluminum one on the Oneway set.

Mobyturns
30th April 2013, 09:25 AM
Vermec make a very good system http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/Live_Centres.pdf. (No connection just a very satisfied user of their HQ tools.)

Syd Sellers
30th April 2013, 01:45 PM
I like the suggestions of several of those that have posted. You can make your own live centres with 3 bearings for under $15.00. All it takes is a bit of elbow grease and a few parts from your plumbing store.

I start off with a MT with a 1/2 x 20 TPI stud. Most drill chucks come with one of these. Pick up a 1/2" pipe coupling and a 1/2 to 3/8 reducer.
Guess what the thread is in the 3/8 pipe end of the reducer. Yes, it's 1/2 x 20 TPI. Yes, it's a pipe thread but all you need to do is run your 1/2" tap into it and the taper is gone. Thread this onto your MT and then thread it into your coupling.

Bore the coupling out to hold your bearings. If you use a R6 bearing, it's 7/8" OD and 3/8" ID. add 2.5" of 3/8 shaft, press it all together and you are set.
Because we all turn wood, you now can make what ever type of centre you like, bore a 3/8 hole in it and press it onto your live centre shaft.

If you need more detail, let me know, I will post the whole thing on my site.

BamBam53
30th April 2013, 08:42 PM
I have had the original Nova live centre system for twenty or so years. Great quality and no complaints.

One good thing is the inserts are #2 morse taper so you can add bits to it.

I took the hacksaw to a steb drive centre and now I have a steb live centre.

265730 265731 265732

Sturdee
30th April 2013, 10:33 PM
I took the hacksaw to a steb drive centre and now I have a steb live centre.

Or you can buy a Live Steb Centre (http://www.popsshed.com.au/Product_Main.aspx?cid=8&scid=114&pid=994). :U

Peter.

BamBam53
1st May 2013, 09:27 AM
Or you can buy a Live Steb Centre (http://www.popsshed.com.au/Product_Main.aspx?cid=8&scid=114&pid=994). :U

Peter.

Peter, I was originally going to buy a live steb centre. One at the guys at the club has one but the bearings are starting to go after only twelve months.

I was a bit concerned about the quality, so I decided to adapt a drive centre to fit the old Nova.

Michael