PDA

View Full Version : Finishing a hollow form

govarney
29th April 2013, 12:33 AM
Was looking through the conditions of entry in the Australian Exhibition in June and when I was looking at the hollow form I wondered if people put a finish on the inside of the form. I know that you should (if you have any chance of winning) at least sand the inside, but what about a finish. I guess it would be easy if you used an oil, but I normally spray my pieces - does that mean I would have to spray the inside of a hollow form.

hughie
29th April 2013, 09:34 AM
Was looking through the conditions of entry in the Australian Exhibition in June and when I was looking at the hollow form I wondered if people put a finish on the inside of the form. I know that you should (if you have any chance of winning) at least sand the inside, but what about a finish. I guess it would be easy if you used an oil, but I normally spray my pieces - does that mean I would have to spray the inside of a hollow form.

:U Ha! you have come to a point thats is much debated. If the judges can get a finger in the hole or an eye to see. Then you should finish the inside to the degree they can get at it. If nothing is done, points will be deducted and it can make all the difference in the final moments of judging.

As to how you finish the inside is up to your ingenuity. If its an open mouth type of hollow form. Then the finish should be comparable to the outside unless it warrants something different.

OK the hollow form with the Sally Wattle collar you're pretty safe to do nothing. But the other open one the inside matches the outside.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th April 2013, 12:37 PM
:whs:

OK the hollow form with the Sally Wattle collar you're pretty safe to do nothing.

But I still recommend sanding at least a fingers reach around the inside neck... and applying a finish there as best as able. :D

Tim the Timber Turner
29th April 2013, 12:40 PM
One trick on a vessel with a SMALL hole.

Tip a small amount of ebonising solution into the vessel, swirl it around then empty out the excess.

This will turn the inside matt black and help cover-up tool marks and torn grain.

This will only work on timbers that will react with the solution. Most eucalypts will.

On a vessel that has a larger opening there is not much choice other than to sand, paint, ebonise or texture the inside.

Cheers

Tim:)

brendan stemp
29th April 2013, 01:38 PM
I pour the NC lacquer in (the same lacquer I use to spray the outside), swirl it around and tip out excess.

rsser
29th April 2013, 05:43 PM
Wot Tim said about texturing.

I sometimes opt to use a tooth-pick style scraper and cut corduroy style ribs down the inside. Followed by a light sand and whatever finish.

A hemostat can be a good substitute for fingers.