PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Lurker!

DPB
3rd May 2005, 12:14 PM
Some may have noticed that I have been considering the purchase of a lathe. I posted some time ago looking for a small used lathe. Before even putting my hands in my pocket to buy one, I have started looking at larger lathes.

Let's say that my budget is $1500. (The ministry of finance has no idea that I'm looking at this price range.) There is currently a Woodfast listed on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26261&item=5578040340&rd=1

If this could be obtained for the listing price, would you pay it sight unseen, simply relying on the reputation of this lathe. (Perhaps one of the forum members is selling this unit???)

Or would it be better to purchase a new Jet lathe (or similar) at the same price?:confused:

gatiep
3rd May 2005, 01:19 PM
To me the question is too open ended. Tell us what you have in mind turning. Woodfast lathes were good provided they are the genuine oz made woodfast and not the chinese junk they once sold under their label. Bear in mind that those lathes are not being produced anymore. I havn't looked at the ebay lathe yet. As for Jet lathe, there are a few models, they are also badged with other names and usually heaps cheaper.

martrix
3rd May 2005, 02:10 PM
Some may have noticed that I have been considering the purchase of a lathe. I posted some time ago looking for a small used lathe. Before even putting my hands in my pocket to buy one, I have started looking at larger lathes.

Let's say that my budget is $1500. (The ministry of finance has no idea that I'm looking at this price range.) There is currently a Woodfast listed on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26261&item=5578040340&rd=1

If this could be obtained for the listing price, would you pay it sight unseen, simply relying on the reputation of this lathe. (Perhaps one of the forum members is selling this unit???)

Or would it be better to purchase a new Jet lathe (or similar) at the same price?:confused:
Why don't you just register on Ebay which is free, and then ask the seller if you can take a look at the lathe before bidding?
cheers Martrix.

DPB
3rd May 2005, 03:02 PM
To me the question is too open ended. Tell us what you have in mind turning. Woodfast lathes were good provided they are the genuine oz made woodfast and not the chinese junk they once sold under their label. Bear in mind that those lathes are not being produced anymore. I havn't looked at the ebay lathe yet. As for Jet lathe, there are a few models,they are also badged with other names and usually heaps cheaper.
Yes, the question was a little open ended. I don't do any turning at present (no lathe), and I have no idea what kind I will be doing in the future. But one consistent theme I read in this forum is "don't buy a lathe that you will quickly outgrow". That's why I'm now thinking of getting more than a midi-lathe.

I like the JET JWL-1442 which I believe is around the $1600 mark. But I don't think that this is anything like the Woodfast on offer at Ebay. However, the Woodfast is 25 years old, and is no longer manufactured (parts?) and of course doesn't have electronic speed change.

I guess my specific question is whether I would be better advised to purchase new or wait for a decent lathe with a better price?

bitingmidge
3rd May 2005, 03:28 PM
I bought a Jet Mini Lathe for not a lot of money, when I was in the same position.

I figured that a lot of woodturners with grown up lathes had them as well, so if the turning thing took hold, I'd save myself a purchase later and in the meantime would have something to muck around with at the scale I thought I wanted to do. (Knobs, handles and little things)

I had no intention of becoming a turner ...and I am still resisting......

The best thing I did was take a structured set of (five) lessons to learn the basics, and to get an appreciation of what these darned things can do.

I will probably get a bigger lathe in time, not a huge one, but figure that if I have the odd need for a huge one or even a bigger one I can always join a club!

Some will argue that the little lathes don't have enough grunt, and (they don't), but I don't know how beginners survive without broken bones on a lathe that keeps going when they get a big catch!

In summary, take some lessons first so that you can be more aware of what you are buying.

FWIW, given the same decision today, I'd probably do the Jet 1442 - it just seems to suit me! (but by buying the smaller one I haven't suffered and have a thousand dollars plus in my pocket!)

cheers,

P (who usually likes to work things out himself!)

:D

rsser
3rd May 2005, 06:55 PM
DPB: is $1500 your lathe budget or your allocation for getting into turning (inc. chucks, chisels etc)? Big difference.

Lot of people in your position start with an MC900 or 1100, acquiring tools, chucks and jaws as their turning progresses.

Jim Carroll
3rd May 2005, 08:24 PM
The price for the Woodfast lathe is a reasonable price for a lathe of this quality,
To buy something similar with the extras on this one would cost about $3500.
There is not a lot of maintainence on this lathe, at the very worst a new set of bearings in the motor and headstock.
There is probably a set of tools sitting close buy that can be grabbed as you pick up the lathe.
These were a very solidly built lathe made to last.

smidsy
3rd May 2005, 10:46 PM
I personally think $1600 is too much for that lathe - they were great in their day (still plenty in high schools) but I think age and parts availability is an issue.

I think you'd be better off with an MC900 ($379) a Delta ($699) or the EVS ($995) and spend some of your budget on tools.

A decent chuck is a must have, the Vicmarc will set you back $229 to $275 and is worth every cent, for chisels get the generic set until you learn to sharpen.

Cheers
Paul

RETIRED
3rd May 2005, 11:29 PM
The price for the Woodfast lathe is a reasonable price for a lathe of this quality,
To buy something similar with the extras on this one would cost about $3500.
There is not a lot of maintainence on this lathe, at the very worst a new set of bearings in the motor and headstock.
There is probably a set of tools sitting close buy that can be grabbed as you pick up the lathe.
These were a very solidly built lathe made to last.
I concur.

John Saxton
3rd May 2005, 11:56 PM
DPB this is all mind turnin', let alone wood turnin' however your criteria is that having made your mind up to venture into woodturning then the consideration is primarily that you go for the machine that offers the best options/advantages for your money.

Now not one to tell you how to suck eggs, but dont like me, buy something to suffice in the immediate term only to find that you want to progress further then discover it doesn't meet your needs and then have to upgrade.

If you have your sights on a particular lathe find out it's shortcomings,whats available with it ..do you have to spend more to get you off the starting blocks ..remember lathe tools can run into some costs not necessarily borne unless buying as a complete package.

ALSO woodturning clubs/tafe offer up good advice as well as familiarisation in helping you to decide what is good in a machine.

Good Luck
Cheers :)

DPB
4th May 2005, 02:04 PM
Ok, the advice seems to be that the Woodsmith is a good lathe. But I've been urged to determine my turning requirements, as much as this is possible, by taking a turning course first.

Does anyone have comments on Len Smith's woodturning workshop in Croydon, VIC? It's only a half day workshop. I would be surprised if you could learn much in 4 hours.

rsser
4th May 2005, 05:58 PM
I've bought a lot of stuff from Len over the last five years, and in the case of particular tools and their uses and limits, he's always given excellent advice and on occasions demo'd the tool to show what he was talking about. Five star service.

No, you can't learn much in four hours, but you can get answers to your questions and you can get inspired by seeing what can be done on a lathe. You can clarify what it is that you want to do and what it takes by way of skill and gear. (That's how I got started - seeing Guilio M demo at a wood show five years ago.)

DPB
5th May 2005, 09:54 AM
Thanks for your input, Gents. The next steps are up to me.:)

JackoH
5th May 2005, 10:32 AM
Woodchuck. If you are still looking for a teacher send me a message and I will ring you back with the name of a very good teacher not far from you.
Congratulations on deciding to take lessons. It's the best investment you can make. I would suggest that you do this first,as this will give you a very clear idea of the sort of lathe and tools you need before you rush out and buy equipment which you later regret.

DPB
5th May 2005, 12:23 PM
Jacko, thanks for the offer. I have already arranged to take lessons with a well known turner.

I also have a lead on a hardly used 10 year old Vicmarc on stand, ten quality chisels, a Vicmarc chuck and all accessories for about $1000. :)

Baz
5th May 2005, 05:28 PM
Woodchuck, that lathe,tools and chuck is a very good buy. Have fun turning.
Cheers
Barry

DPB
5th May 2005, 06:00 PM
Woodchuck, that lathe,tools and chuck is a very good buy. Have fun turning.
Cheers
Barry
Yes, I am absolutely delighted.

I'm of the belief that there are literally hundreds of unused table saws, lathes, routers, bandsaws, drill presses, etc sitting idle in sheds. They were purchased with good intentions, but either the purchasers didn't get into woodworking for some reason, or their circumstances have changed making woodworking impractical for them.

The big trick is connecting with these unused machines. I would have thought that these forums would be one way, but people that frequent this BB are enthusiasts using their equipment.

The lathe I am purchasing was offered to me 3 years ago, but I just didn't have the money. My Friend who sold it spoke to the guy that bought it and discovered that he hasn't used it. So there I was - just couldn't say no this time.;)

DPB
9th May 2005, 03:52 PM
I spent the last few days sorting through the bits and pieces that I purchased with my lathe.

It's a Vicmarc 175 built in 1994. It came with a 75kw motor and is a belt-driven four speed (pre-electronic) lathe. It is equipped with an outboard tool rest for large bowl turning, and had a Vicmarc four-jaw self-centering chuck with two sets of grips. Also a cast face plate, as well as a 25mm spur drive, and a live centre for the tail stock.

There are a few other lathe pieces for which I have yet to discover their purpose.

The purchase also included 13 good quality (I think) chisels, and 8 poor quality chisels (not shown).

I have to own up to paying more than the $1000 previously stated. It actually cost me $1250.00. Still an excellent buy.

Here's to may hours of pleasurable turning.;)

JackoH
10th May 2005, 10:08 AM
The replacement value of the chisels would , I think be at least $750.00. The chuck $250 approx. And it's a Vicmarc so it's gotta be good. You've done well.

TimberNut
10th May 2005, 10:41 AM
DPB, looks like you got a bargain there.

The darker handled chisels pictured are hamlets? If so, don't practice sharpening with them! Use the cheaper ones you mentioned.

The chuck and lathe should outlast you if you look after it.

Excellent purchase. You can be well pleased with your 'lucky find'.

Welcome to the most expensive hobby a guy could find! (Now if only I could find a 40m x 20m shed for the same price........)

Jim Carroll
10th May 2005, 08:48 PM
With a mixture of Henry Taylor and Woodcut tools there you have done well.
They obviously have not done a lot of work as the stickers are still on the handles. As mentioned by Ian use the cheapy's for your sharpening practice.
Save up some more pennies and get a variable speed motor and it will make the unit more user friendly, the four speeds are a bit limiting. You always want to go to the next speed and find it is too fast for what you are turning.
Happy Turning