PDA

View Full Version : Titan chucks

hughie
1st May 2013, 02:14 PM
I dropped a line off to Tecknatool re Titan chucks availability etc. The US responded but the cost of shipping would be prohibitive .
NZ hasn't bothered to get back to me, that was over a week ago. Anybody have an idea if they are still available in this neck of the woods?

wheelinround
1st May 2013, 03:26 PM
Niel did you try this Search for Woodworking Supplies at Woodcraft.com (http://www.woodcraft.com/search2/search.aspx?query=titan%20chuck)

Pat
1st May 2013, 06:27 PM
I got mine from Jim at CWS.

No mine is not for sale at any price:;

pommyphil
1st May 2013, 07:25 PM
Good chucks.......Good question........strange if they're not available here.

Maybe just get more Vicmarc 120's :D Phil

Jim Carroll
1st May 2013, 07:46 PM
Hughie not available locally.

As mentioned the VM120 is the best alternative and to be really truthfull a far superior chuck.

The titan were not a bad chuck but just a bit light duty for the work they were supposed to be able to do.

The VM120 has a better range of jaws for the heavier work.

nz_carver
1st May 2013, 08:28 PM
I'm using the VM120 there gate hand down the best on the market

jefferson
1st May 2013, 08:30 PM
The VM 150 is even better!:2tsup:

Rod Gilbert
1st May 2013, 08:32 PM
I am pretty sure I got mine from Gary Pye but that was a few years ago now.
Regards Rod.

mat_au
1st May 2013, 11:56 PM
i just got the VM120 and love it im going to sell my nova and get another VM120

nz_carver
2nd May 2013, 12:03 AM
The VM 150 is even better!:2tsup:
Just the one?

Id say most out there don't want to spend the $500 on the VM 150
If only I can get my hands one:U

Do they still make The VM 150?

Jim Carroll
2nd May 2013, 10:10 AM
The VM150 is available but you will find the VM120 does all the same jaw openings and a 1/3 cheaper.

chuck1
2nd May 2013, 11:54 PM
i just got the VM120 and love it im going to sell my nova and get another VM120

mat how much did you want for your nova?

rsser
3rd May 2013, 03:19 PM
The decision tree in my book is this, and I'm sure Hughie doesn't need to hear it:

1. What do you want to turn?
2. What jaws are best for that or those purposes?
3. What chuck will best hold those jaws?

2ndary question:

1. What's the best value proposition (trying to balance quality, cost and versatility)?

The original Titan chuck (NZ made) was a great value proposition.

Can Nova repeat it?

NeilS
5th May 2013, 08:23 PM
Having both the V120 and the Titan, two of each (actually mine are the SN-Deluxe, the 5" forerunner of the Titan, which is just a Deluxe with an extra screw hole that it doesn't need), and having knocked both makes about, particularly the SN-Deluxes, I can't say from my experience that I have found one particularly better than the other.

Although I'm buying Vicmarc nowadays, that's not because I'm unhappy with any of my old Novas. And, I certainly wouldn't let my Deluxes go for anything!

The old Nova kit was good gear, which I will continue to enjoy using. I expect it will outlast me and my turning days.

The reason I've been adding Vicmarc to my kit in more recent years is that they continue to expand their range, whereas Nova stopped doing so some time ago. Nova's quality control (like a batch of their inserts awhile back) has also become an issue at times (but not for me with their earlier stuff), while Vicmarc continues to maintain its quality.

However, should anyone have an unwanted SN-Deluxe I'm sure we could come to a mutually agreeable arrangement. That is, unless Hughie beats me to it... :rolleyes:

hughie
5th May 2013, 09:22 PM
The old Nova kit was good gear, which I will continue to enjoy using. I expect it will outlast me and my turning days.

Thats pretty well my opinion as well my old SN2 aren't for sale and I should have bought more at the time, hence the query about Titans. I have since located two Titans and have put the order in for them