PDA

View Full Version : new lathe

rcwoodcraft
2nd May 2013, 10:30 AM
Hello from British Columbia, Vancouver Island. I'm new to the forum and need some help. I recently bought a new Delta Midi Lethe with extension and want to build a stand for it. I have been looking and have not found anything that has told me how high i should make the stand. Can anyone help a nebie please.

Thanks---Rob

dennisk
2nd May 2013, 11:14 AM
Hi Rob, Dennis from Alberta thinks it should be about elbow height or above. Whatever feels comfy. There have been a few discussions re this before, I think they could be dug up.

_fly_
2nd May 2013, 11:39 AM
And when he says elbow height, Its elbow height at the lathe centre not the legs themselves, So the stand is a bit lower than that.

NeilS
2nd May 2013, 08:44 PM
For bowl turning, place a hand on opposite shoulder; an inch or so above the elbow height while held like that is my ideal hight for the lathe centre. For spindle turning, the centre is about elbow height. If you do both on the same lathe, go for halfway between.

dennisk
2nd May 2013, 11:51 PM
oops! my bad

Paul39
3rd May 2013, 04:13 AM
Hello from British Columbia, Vancouver Island. I'm new to the forum and need some help. I recently bought a new Delta Midi Lethe with extension and want to build a stand for it. I have been looking and have not found anything that has told me how high i should make the stand. Can anyone help a nebie please.

Thanks---Rob

Do a search here and on Google on lathe stands and lathe center height. There is lots of information.

I do mostly bowls and have my center height about 4 inches above my elbow tip with arm bent. When I make a spindle the tool rest is a bit higher but angle of tool to wood is the same as with center lower.

If you are making a stand with legs, make it a bit high and if that is uncomfortable, shorten.

Stands: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=853&bih=484&q=wood+lathe+stands&oq=wood+lathe+stands&gs_l=img.12...3664.7949.0.10513.17.10.0.7.7.0.107.1021.1j9.10.0...0.0...1ac.1.12.img.8j4M7W4OJK0

I prefer stands to benches as the chips fall on the floor rather than pile up on the bench. With bowls there is lots of waste, spindles not so much, pens almost nothing.