PDA

View Full Version : constuction and mechanical models

colbra
4th May 2005, 12:20 AM
Hi There
For some time I have been fooling around with a small wood lathe, to make parts for construction models and mechanical models which I have some plans and assembly drawing for. I have limited knowledge and experience with the lathe and wondered if there might be an adaptation in the way of a compound slide or travel to do fine turning of the smaller parts, as with a metal turning lathe. I have seen such things on lathes in years gone by and wounded if there is still such thing around. Also is there any one out there with the same interest hoping to here from someone out there with same

Regards colbra

ps. if not in right spot please redirect

Keith H
4th May 2005, 12:32 AM
G'day Colbra

Without spending a fortune on appropriate engineering bits, you may wish to consider one of those double compound vices. You would have to work out a method of holding your tools, but the two axis movement of the vice would allow you fine control over your tool tip in both the diameter and the length.
I have adapted one of these vices to do my thread cutting in wood and find it very good indeed. Mine cost me about $65.

Hope this gives you some thing to work with

regards
Keithhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon7.gif