PDA

View Full Version : JET products

BrianT
9th August 2002, 02:55 PM
Any comments/experiences with JET products such as.
10" table saw JWTS-10JF listed @$1362
6" jointer JJ-6CSX listed @$898
12" wood planer JWP-12.4P @963

Have scrolled thru all earlier ?s re planers etc but JET doesn't seem to rate a mention.
Is there a message there.....or have I just looked in the wrong places!
thanks in anticipation

Rod Smith
9th August 2002, 06:35 PM
G'day Brian
Jet are made in Taiwan to US company specs and inspections and by all accounts that I have read (plenty)they are pretty good quality and value for their price.
cheers
Rod

Jim Carroll
9th August 2002, 10:52 PM
Ditto Rod the Jet gear is very good quality, most people dont give it enough credit because of price. If you compare it against other machines you will find features on these machines of better quality and finish. They are at the better end of the handy man - semi professional range.

cliff cook
9th August 2002, 11:44 PM
G`day
I have had a 10inch contractors saw for about 5 months now and am as happy as a pig in ---- . After having a Triton for 5 years I`ve finaly found out that ripping/cross/mitering are all about and that it is actually fun to cut rock hard dry Jarrah.
2nd best tool i`ve ever bought.
cooky

soundman
10th August 2002, 09:51 PM
If you are in the JET price range check also the DELTA products.
Many of the jet models will also appear as no name tiwanese machines. I have not heard if the claimed quality control difference is fact or hype.
Have a good look arround there is some realy good value in the better Tiawanese machines.
Jet among them.

BrianT
11th August 2002, 10:36 AM
http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gifthanks for the info folks. Putting my ? into context - as a novice with the usual dead & dying tools in the shed, I am looking to set up a half decent w/shop and have been seriously looking at a Triton workcentre with a Hitachi saw & lge ext table as a stand alone saw unit, along with the complete router table and router which I will defintely be buying.
But the total cost of the complete saw unit is not that much below the JET 10" contractor @ around $1300 which is at the top range of my spending $s - I know that has been said before gents -so that's the reason for the question. Still trying to locate a Delta dealer in Sth Oz so I can compare Jet/Delta as that seems a fairer comparison.
Have really appreciated your comments.
Brian T

Rod Smith
11th August 2002, 12:45 PM
G'day again
Just remembered something about the woodman/jet relationship. I was told (by a salesman at Trembaths/woodman, adelaide)that the woodman group own the rights to the brand name "Jet" in australia. I spose this means they can put the name on what ever they want? Maybe not, I don't know. Are the Jet machines sold in oz the same as those in the US, maybe some are some aren't, I don't know. Something worth checking out for prospective buyers. Theres that much copying done in Taiwan/china its pretty easy to be fooled about whats good and whats not I would think.
cheers
Rod

Al Burdon
11th August 2002, 04:37 PM
I am in the process of upgrading from Triton stuff. I have the 14 inch JET bandsaw and 12 inch disc and 9 inch belt sander. Am very happy. They are produced in Taiwan but the QC and finish is very good ( I am a fitter and machinist so i have a bit of an idea). Check out the JET and then check out the others. As has been stated here already they are at the op of the home woody range but at the low end of the trady stuff. Good solid units.

I am also about to buy a table saw and the 10 inch Jet is high on the list of contenders. I have a carbytec 12.5 inch thicknesser that is also pretty good so check out there offerings as they have stuff made in Taiwan to there specs. Not as neat a finish as Jet though.

AL

John Saxton
12th August 2002, 07:27 PM
Hi Brian, I don't have the Jet sawbench/Planer but I do have three Jet products that perform admirably in as much as my view is concerned.
The quality control is as good as you can expect and if you have to pay a little more for that then I reckon it's worth it.
I would not hesitate to go with a Jet product again should the need arise ...they are good gear.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

BrianT
12th August 2002, 09:42 PM
G'day to all.Well,the deed has been done. The info from you all has been invaluable for a novice and a 10' JET was ordered today (Monday) having travelled done to Adelaide for the final inspection of the full range.
I was advised by David Trembath (Agencies)the SA agent that having visited the Taiwan factory several times, the product is a 'genuine' JET with their own JET specific QA staff on the line - even though countless other 'brands' are spat out.
And Rod, yep, fairly paranoid about the safety bit - have managed to keep all my original bits and pieces for 5? yrs or so and hope to keep them a bit longer. Many thanks folks http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif
Brian