PDA

View Full Version : Stinky Wood

orificiam
4th May 2013, 10:47 AM
Hi all, found a branch on the side of the road, it as a beautiful bark with veins running through it, Still green I cut it in short blocks and put it on the lathe for roughing out, The Odour coming out of the wood was so bad it brought Tears to my eyes :C. And I can still taste it the day after.:((

Does enyone know what wood it is? and is it bad for you health.

Cheers Tony.:)

Cliff Rogers
4th May 2013, 11:25 AM
Where'd you find it?

Is it off a street tree or something from the bush?

Looks a bit like young camphor laurel.

Does it smell like camphor?

orificiam
4th May 2013, 12:46 PM
Hello Cliff, I fount it on the nature strip it's one of the trees the council planted, I can assure you it doesn't smell like camphor laurel. This smell is offensive.

Scott
4th May 2013, 07:56 PM
I was going to say it's some kind of Ash, but Ash doesn't pong. What's does it smell like? Some kind of sewerage smell?

orificiam
4th May 2013, 08:02 PM
I was going to say it's some kind of Ash, but Ash doesn't pong. What's does it smell like? Some kind of sewerage smell?

Hi Scott, worst, and on top of that my throat feels like it was sand papered with 40 Grit. 24 hour later.:((

The bad part is, It as such a beautiful bark I wanted to leave on as a Feature.

Scott
4th May 2013, 09:15 PM
I've heard that Viburnum Tinus smells pretty bad, something akin to wet dog or wet socks. Euodia Elleryana (Corkwood) is pretty bad as well and going by your pictures, that's what I reckon you have.

rat52
4th May 2013, 09:20 PM
My guess is peppercorn. I cot some to burn in a slow combustion but I had to drag it out as the stink was so bad. It cost me $35 to dump the rest.

DSEL74
4th May 2013, 09:24 PM
Pinus Skunkyassus???:wink:

Willy Nelson
5th May 2013, 12:28 AM
I reckon it maybe Illawarra Flame tree. Almost smells like dog poo

Willy

orificiam
5th May 2013, 12:31 AM
I reckon it maybe Illawarra Flame tree. Almost smells like dog poo

Willy

Yeap, I'll go with Willy.

Cheers Tony,:)

orificiam
5th May 2013, 12:34 AM
I've heard that Viburnum Tinus smells pretty bad, something akin to wet dog or wet socks. Euodia Elleryana (Corkwood) is pretty bad as well and going by your pictures, that's what I reckon you have.

Hi Scott, I've turned green Viburnum Tinus and it doesn't smell no way near this one, I think Willy is on the right track.

Thanks all for the input,

Cheers Tony,:)