PDA

View Full Version : Like winning lotto (major gloat)

Bruce White
4th May 2013, 06:08 PM
My darling Wife saw an add for turning wood on Gumtree when she was playing on the computer after I went to bed the other day and, thinking I might be interested, emailed it to me. BLESS HER!266306266307 266309
I purchased all of the wood on the table (2.5 x 1 metre) for the amazing sum of $200! You may be surprised to hear that I did not quibble on price. The very kind Gentleman who placed the add did some production turning years ago and has had this timber in his shed untouched since 1998/99. He realised what it is really worth but was not concerned and said he just wanted it out of his shed. It is mostly sheoak with some jarrah and blackbutt. There is a goodly amount of burl of each variety. To give you an idea of size, the bottom round on the left in the first photo is 37cm diameter. There is in excess of 40 rounds.

Now my question is... Was it worth the 600km round trip to pick it up? Guess who is a verry happy chap today!

pommyphil
4th May 2013, 06:15 PM
Good score :2tsup: His lathe may have struggled with some of those blanks.

artme
4th May 2013, 06:29 PM
:o:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
4th May 2013, 06:34 PM
600k round trip :o but what a trip :U:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Bruce White
4th May 2013, 06:46 PM
600k round trip :o but what a trip :U:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Not such a trial - I do that trip fortnightly to visit my dear old dementia stricken Aunt. The Gods were smiling as the wood seller lives about 3km from the care facility my Aunt is in. Killed 2 birds with one stone!

RETIRED
4th May 2013, 07:30 PM
Sooooooooo, Ned Kelly is alive and well and living in W.A?:D Good score Bruce.

Pommyphil, the lathe would handle it very easily.:cool:

Bruce White
4th May 2013, 07:47 PM
Sooooooooo, Ned Kelly is alive and well and living in W.A?:D Good score Bruce.

Pommyphil, the lathe would handle it very easily.:cool:

I will, after picking the eyes out of it, be sharing some of it with our Mens Shed. I am, for my sins, the treasurer (5 minutes after landing in town) and designated wood turning coach. That is a bit of a problem as I am self taught and do what works for me (using tools for jobs they are not meant for etc). Consequently the blokes will probably be learning a lot of bad habits. BUT SAFELY.
Ever tried to get old farmers to use ear plugs, face masks, dust masks etc and clean up after themselves?

Pat
4th May 2013, 08:11 PM
Ever tried to get old farmers to use ear plugs, face masks, dust masks etc and clean up after themselves?

Retired Tradies are just as bad. :;

I_wanna_Shed
4th May 2013, 09:34 PM
Now that's a score. Definitely worth a day trip.

Willy Nelson
5th May 2013, 12:26 AM
Yep, I saw this ad, but resisted as I am full (no room or permission for more timber), very good score, was in Rockingham wasn't it?
What was the turners name?
Willy
Jarrahland

shedbound
5th May 2013, 12:32 AM
:C
regards
Joel

dr4g0nfly
5th May 2013, 05:47 AM
Someone check his shoes, see what he's trod in!

Damn fine score there, it'll keep you busy for a week or two.

hughie
5th May 2013, 09:35 AM
Absolutely worth the the trip, what a great haul..feeling a little green.........:C :U

Bruce White
5th May 2013, 10:41 AM
Yep, I saw this ad, but resisted as I am full (no room or permission for more timber), very good score, was in Rockingham wasn't it?
What was the turners name?
Willy
Jarrahland

Yep, that was the one Willy. Glad you were full - you might have beaten me to it. Forgot to mention there was also in excess of 70 rough turned platters, bowls and hollow forms as well. Just finishing them will keep me off the streets for a good long while.

BobL
5th May 2013, 11:36 AM
Excellent score BW

Try telling them about invisible dust if you want a real laugh :D

Bruce White
5th May 2013, 11:54 AM
Strewth Bob, anything smaller than a 5 cent piece seems to be invisible and not a threat to them!

Lucky YOU did not score this wood - you absolutely have been in trouble with your wife.