PDA

View Full Version : Finally Finished the Furry . . . . . mother!

TTIT
6th May 2013, 10:16 PM
Couldn't add this to the original thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/furry-bowls-160663/) where I roughed this bowl out so here's a newy...

The rough-out stopped losing weight after just 2 months but it took a bit longer to find the tuit - but here it is :U The furriest section stayed painful right to the finish, so much so that the 80grit gouge was the only way to save it. The oddest thing was that that section was where I was cutting down the grain where you usually get the best finish :shrug: - where I was cutting up the grain actually finished OK of the tool - go figure :think: . 230x75, I left it fairly thick (12mm) to show the medulary ray on the rim but it is certainly not heavy - weighs in at just 330g - and I seriously reckon 80g of that is all the Kunos oil it sucked up :o
There's a couple of patches where it started to mould where the rough-out was sitting against other items - not game to look at the blocks of it I stored :no: Might have more figure than Balsa wood but it's no more useful - certainly won't bother turning any more of it!

hughie
6th May 2013, 10:49 PM
Well Vern if nothing else the shape is just fine :U

Paul39
7th May 2013, 11:22 AM
In spite of the agony a nice bowl. I agree with Hughie, VERY nice shape.

ian thorn
7th May 2013, 02:13 PM
Looks good to me some times we just have to do what works to get there well done

Ian

Cliff Rogers
7th May 2013, 03:46 PM
OK, you can tick that one off the list, what is next? :D

ogato
8th May 2013, 11:15 PM
Did you try the Earls wood hardner, or just let it dry . . .then attack it.

TTIT
8th May 2013, 11:31 PM
Did you try the Earls wood hardner, or just let it dry . . .then attack it.I worried (justifiably) about it moulding if I tried to slow the drying at all so I just let it sit with nothing on it. Once I put it back on the lathe and trued it up, I kept dousing it with sanding sealer and taking light cuts until I got it to shape - tedious bit it worked :shrug:

TTIT
8th May 2013, 11:38 PM
OK, you can tick that one off the list, what is next? :DCheese tree! (glochidion ferdinandi) The rough out has been sitting since last winter - the backlog just gets bigger and bigger :C

RETIRED
9th May 2013, 12:32 AM
Pun intended?:D

Drillit
9th May 2013, 09:49 AM
Hello TTIT,
I like the shape - isnt it peculiar that we dont give it away, but perservere
no matter how long it takes. I recently gave a piece of silky 5 coats
of wood hardener to strengthen a patch that had dry rot. It must be
more than a piece of wood, eh. Drillit.