PDA

View Full Version : From The Scrap Box ..A Table Lamp Is Born

stevew
8th May 2013, 01:01 PM
Whilst emptying my scrap box I came across some nice pieces of Tassie Oak and Some Blue Gum,cut them to size and ran them through the thicknesser to get them somewhat level.After laying them all out I came up with a simple lamination idea that would turn out into a fine looking table lamp.The lamp finished at 400mm high and 140mm at its fattest girth.Might be tempted to make another and spend a bit more time on the layout to give an intricate design when turned,all in all a good way to recycle the offcuts,glued them together with Weldbond and left them clamped for 48 hours,no problem at all when turned........Cheers...Steve

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th May 2013, 01:23 PM
And nicely centred, too! :2tsup: (I hate the way the laminations can shout "I screwed up!" if I'm out by even one bee's wotsit. :doh: )

Did you laminate it up with a hole for the cord, or go the long way around and drill it after gluing up?

artme
8th May 2013, 03:55 PM
Wot Skew said!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

stevew
8th May 2013, 04:36 PM
And nicely centred, too! :2tsup: (I hate the way the laminations can shout "I screwed up!" if I'm out by even one bee's wotsit. :doh: )

Did you laminate it up with a hole for the cord, or go the long way around and drill it after gluing up?
Had a lot of fun drilling a hole 400mm through the centre,patience was certainly needed to stop the drill from clogging up and staying inside the piece,welded a 12mm drill onto a piece if 10mm rod and then secured that into a Jacobs chuck in the tail ,and ever so gently wound forward then back ,forward a half inch...back out .... ,clean drill of shavings ,then forward again and so on and on and on,when it came through at the other end it was spot on centre,lucky me?? Cheers