PDA

View Full Version : Super Nova1 chuck key needed

Tennyson
8th May 2013, 08:41 PM
Folks I am trying to find a chuck key for a Super Nova 1 chuck key - Prepared to buy a SN1 chuck with key if anyone has one.
Tekna Tool in N.Z. sold their last one 2 months ago.
Please ring Bob 0405502952 if you can help.

wheelinround
8th May 2013, 10:26 PM
Try Trend Timbers at Mulgrave

Tennyson
9th May 2013, 07:30 AM
Tried TREND and CarbaTec and TEKNA TOOL (NZ) and there is just not one to be had new and without the key the chuck is useless. I am trying to get it for a friend who bought a woodfast lathe with the chuck and was told "you can get a key from any hardware store" (He didn't know much about wood lathes - like most of us when we start). Any help would be appreciated to encourage a newbie in our craft.

turnerted
9th May 2013, 04:59 PM
I think I saw them at Mcjings
Ted

ian thorn
9th May 2013, 09:36 PM
I can ask around here if you like but there would allso be a postal cost. It may be easyer to sell that chuck to someone that has a key and buy a new one I knew it is about $200 but the lathe isnt much good without a chuck. the other option is if some kind turner on here has several chucks with keys for each will sell him one

Paul39
10th May 2013, 10:42 AM
I did some poking around on the net and found some posts from 10 years ago with people looking for same. One said that Teknatool was going to produce another batch from drawings.

You might take the chuck to an engineers supply place and see if any of the Jacobs type chuck keys will fit.

Bob Wemm
10th May 2013, 01:58 PM
I don't know exactly what type of key it is that you are looking for, but if it is an "Allen Key" type you can buy a set of T handle allen keys. ?????

I have two Nova 2 chucks with 10mm keys.

Hope this helps.

Bob.

ian thorn
10th May 2013, 03:10 PM
The best i could do was from my supplier here he has a chuck plus key but wont sell one without the other $200 plus postage its a good deal but you probaly dont want 2 at this stage.:no:

rsser
10th May 2013, 03:16 PM
Yeah, what's the x-section of the socket?

GPW Gen 3 chucks came with a square socket and a poxy sliding T-bar key and it wasn't hard to get a cheap set of T-handled Allen keys off ebay and grind a fat one to shape. Not rocket science. If you mess up get another set and you'll still be miles ahead.

Added: the shaping can easily enough be done with a bench grinder.

_fly_
10th May 2013, 04:19 PM
He's after one of these.

But this one is mine.

I can give you domensions if your having one made or want to sourse one from a store.
It really is just like an ordinary drill chuck key, just a bit larger.
21.65 mm across
9mm towards the tip.
6.68mm at the tip

14 mm long at widest part.
18.33 length for the scutes
8.2mm for the 9mm bit
4.2mm for the tiny tip at the end.

7 scutes around.

Maybe you could grind one out of a socket from a socket set. Thats what it looks like to me.

Hope that helps
Peter

ian thorn
10th May 2013, 08:03 PM
If he gose to a metalworking shop and gets some rod the right size he could make one but would need some one to turn the locating nib at the bottom.And it makes it easyer to use if you pin the handdel so it can bend

Tennyson
10th May 2013, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the replies folks, Sorry to not be on the forum for 24 hours (parent/ teacher nights at school and home late and gearing up my Yr 12 classes for upcoming Trial HSC exams).

I have tried the leads, to no avail - The Super Nova 1 is not like to Nova Scroll current chucks and has a drill type chuck bevel gear and not an Allan key. it has a large round access hole for the key. It hasn't been made for 10 years and Tekna Tool in NZ have none, neither Carba tec, so I am hoping someone has one they no longer want or need at a price I can afford. fly and Peters responses very helpful, but I fear the cost of getting one machined may well be in excess of the kind offer to purchase chuck and key for $200.

The request is not actually for me, but a buddy who has purchased a a wood fast lathe and got the chuck as part of the deal, but of course he can't get started without a chuck.

Many thanks - I'll keep logging on to follow the threads,
Bob

RETIRED
10th May 2013, 09:17 PM
but of course he can't get started without a chuck.? Gee, I wonder many of us got on before 1988? (for those that don't know, that is the year that Teknatool released the scroll chuck. It was a rehash of an idea that was over 100 years old but that is another story.)

Bob, get him to use a faceplate. In some instances better than a chuck.

KBs PensNmore
10th May 2013, 09:25 PM
Folks I am trying to find a chuck key for a Super Nova 1 chuck key - Prepared to buy a SN1 chuck with key if anyone has one.
Tekna Tool in N.Z. sold their last one 2 months ago.
Please ring Bob 0405502952 if you can help.

I have a spare, it has been welded where it broke, you can have it. Please PM me your address details.
Kryn

Tennyson
10th May 2013, 09:31 PM
Wow, Very Kind of you. I would be delighted to receive it and happy to cover any costs.

Thanks - I'll pm with address.
Bob

Tennyson
10th May 2013, 09:42 PM
If he gose to a metalworking shop and gets some rod the right size he could make one but would need some one to turn the locating nib at the bottom.And it makes it easyer to use if you pin the handdel so it can bend
Thanks Ian,
appreciate the reply
Bob

Tennyson
10th May 2013, 09:45 PM
I did some poking around on the net and found some posts from 10 years ago with people looking for same. One said that Teknatool was going to produce another batch from drawings.

You might take the chuck to an engineers supply place and see if any of the Jacobs type chuck keys will fit.

Thanks Paul,
appreciate the reply
Bob

Colin62
10th May 2013, 10:15 PM
.? Gee, I wonder many of us got on before 1988? (for those that don't know, that is the year that Teknatool released the scroll chuck. It was a rehash of an idea that was over 100 years old but that is another story.)

Bob, get him to use a faceplate. In some instances better than a chuck.

I had a lathe for at least 15 years before I got a chuck. Managed pretty well without it, and in fact it's made me lazy - I find myself adjusting the shape of my turning so to make it easier to grip in the chuck. Using a faceplate and a combination of glue and jamchucks meant that I turned the shape I wanted with little consideration to how I was going to grip it.

China
10th May 2013, 11:09 PM
When I did my post trade course in woodturnig 40 + years ago nobody had even heard of such a device for a woodturning lathe

Paul39
11th May 2013, 10:10 AM
I have ranted and raved here several times about how one does not need so many expensive things to do turnings - chucks, Tormek grinders, powder metal tools, variable speed lathes, etc.

Any of the 1970s turning books have instructions on making bowls with one fixing on a faceplate. My favorite is one by Peter Child. Richard Raffan has one also.

All the expensive accessories do is to make turning faster and more convenient. If one is making turnings for a living, time is money.

For those just beginning and / or making a bowl or two a week, mounting on a faceplate and turning, sanding, and finishing, works fine.

I started wood turning on a 7 inch swing X 12 inch between centers Chinese metal lathe. I used a wood working 3/4 inch chisel and a screwdriver sharpened on a belt sander for tools.

I have descended to 8 or 9 lathes, 4 chucks, Tormek, 8 inch grinder, grinding jigs, angle sander, Dremel tools, flexible shaft tools, carbide tools, many high speed steel tools, the whole disaster.

Of the above, one Crown bowl gouge and one Oneway Stronghold chuck were bought new. When I sold a turning or had a windfall of $$, I would put that money in my "crazy money" stash. When things came up at an estate auction, or a trade in at the local tool supplier, I was ready with cash.

It has taken about 7 years to accumulate, but pretty much anything I need for turning, sanding, and finishing is at hand.

I occasionally make something on a junky lathe with home made tools, just for the fun of it. The pieces I make are just as good as the ones using all the better stuff. It just takes a bit longer.

tea lady
11th May 2013, 10:26 PM
Well yes Paul, but it is a bit frustrating not having the chuck key. :C:U

Paul39
12th May 2013, 10:00 AM
Well yes Paul, but it is a bit frustrating not having the chuck key. :C:U

Rather than the long rant, I might better have said: While waiting for a chuck key to turn up, use the face plate.

I wonder if there is enough demand for the no longer available chuck keys for the manufacturer to have another run made, or if they would release the prints so that a third party might make them.

NeilS
12th May 2013, 11:50 AM
40 + years ago nobody had even heard of such a device for a woodturning lathe

Yes, I remember, but back then I could only turn stuff like this...

I found turning to be so much more fun when 'bowl' chucks became available.

It just takes a bit longer.

And, with "So much timber, so little time", I'm very grateful for anything that saves time...:)

ogato
12th May 2013, 02:23 PM
there's a SN chuck - with key - on Gumtree in Brissy. It comes with a lathe . . . .

Teknatool Nova 3000 wood lathe | Power Tools | Gumtree Australia Gold Coast North - Oxenford (http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/oxenford/power-tools/teknatool-nova-3000-wood-lathe/1018563662)

might be worth checking out

rsser
12th May 2013, 02:33 PM
Be a good story to tell the Minister of Finance.

I need a chuck key but it's a rare type; will cost $950 :D

NeilS
12th May 2013, 03:29 PM
be a good story to tell the minister of finance.

I need a chuck key but it's a rare type; will cost $950 :d

.... : ~}

rsser
12th May 2013, 03:59 PM
Ain't this forum a gem.

We have a generous solution provided by KBs Pensmore.

And other plausible options suggested.

China
12th May 2013, 11:36 PM
Another suggestion, post in the metal work section I'm sure some one over there could make one up