PDA

View Full Version : How do you display your masterpieces

Sturdee
9th May 2013, 11:23 PM
Last year, whilst being full of energy because of the steroids the doctors put me on, I renovated our office and built in it display shelves for showing both Michelle and my turning efforts. So having just finished building the additional perspex add-in shelves into it I was wondering how others display their masterpieces.

This is the display wall with the display shelves above my computer desk.

The left side ...................................................and the adjoining right side.
267099 ............ 267100

As you can see there is still room for some more turnings. :U

Recently we have seen Big Shed's pen display cabinet on the forum and I have seen TTIT egg display on his website.

So how do others do it. Please add your photos in this thread.

Peter.

hughie
10th May 2013, 09:03 AM
Regretfully I dont have any real space and they kinda get perched wherever. Also very little is kept for display so the issue of storage never really comes up.

Mulgabill
10th May 2013, 09:10 AM
Hey Sturdee!
I better not let SWMBO see your display or it will a project for me. :q

Currently I am using a bookcase in our sitting room (without the books) for a display of my turned pieces and jewellery boxes and they get much comment from visitors.

chuck1
10th May 2013, 10:29 AM
most of my stuff is finished then packed away for art shows and events or customer orders to go asap.
I try to get a photo but dont want 70 balusters hanging around last time I had to store them in the lounge room and it wasnt appreciated by certain member of the house!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th May 2013, 12:40 PM
I'm with Hughie.

At the old place I had a similar display wall knocked together, but wall and items failed to negotiate our geographic relocation. (They did, however, end up contributing to the fuel fund! :wink:)

But now...? Items emerge from the shed and may rattle around for a while inside the house for 'display' purposes... while the finish cures.

After that... well... they either find a new home (not excluding pieces the missus 'yoinks' for her own :rolleyes:), are stored away for sale purposes or - depending on how they're received during the aforementioned 'display period' - have any calorific energy extracted in the fireplace. :D

One day I'll make something that I still feel proud & non-critical of when I come back to look at it a fortnight/month later... and that will get a display stand.

One day... :sigh:

corbs
10th May 2013, 08:34 PM

How do you open the top left cupboard door? :)

I like the display too, I'm not allowed to put mine up anywhere at the moment but I'm working on an idea for a similar space here.

Sturdee
10th May 2013, 11:54 PM
How do you open the top left cupboard door? :)

That's easy, with the handle of course. :U Sorry, couldn't resist the smart alec reply. :U

Seriously, I cut the top left cupboard door in two and hinged the left part to the right part of the door and nailed the right part shut. So although it looks one door only half opens.

Peter.

NeilS
11th May 2013, 07:49 PM
Also very little is kept for display so the issue of storage never really comes up.

I keep photos of about everything I turn.

Otherwise, I usually keep only one or two of my pieces that I am comfortable with, and one or two pieces from other turners that I admire, plus a few utility bowls in the kitchen.

I displayed some of these on plinths with mirror tops or featured on an entrance or hallway table.

Everything else gets displayed by the gallery or recipients... or not, in the case of the latter, ie unless they know I'm about to pay them a visit :rolleyes:

Willy Nelson
11th May 2013, 11:10 PM
Display?????????

No way, I think of all them as dust collectors. I put them in a glass fronted wall unit until I have enough of them and then take them to the galleries and shops. I keep none!
Willy

Toymaker Len
12th May 2013, 12:57 AM
Use it or sell it.

Tony Morton
14th May 2013, 09:56 PM
This how I display my work that is not in the boxes to take to markets. the cabinets from Super A mart 1300 wide by 1800 high and 450 deep .

Tony Morton
14th May 2013, 10:35 PM
This is what I use to display some of my work the cabinets are 1300 wide by 1800 high and 45 deep cost me about $4550 each from Super A Mart.

orraloon
15th May 2013, 10:49 AM
I am not calling mine masterpieces. Just turnings. Some that we like the look of get placed about the house. Some get used and the rest get piled on the lower shelf of the hall table awating new homes. Friends and family can pick over the pile for something they like.
Regards
John

smiife
15th May 2013, 07:55 PM
This is what I use to display some of my work the cabinets are 1300 wide by 1800 high and 45 deep cost me about $4550 each from Super A Mart.

hi tony,
nice cabinets,some nice pieces, well displayed :cool:
don't go much on the price tag though :o:o
cheers smiife:2tsup:

Tony Morton
15th May 2013, 08:52 PM
Hi Smiifi
Sorry about the price actually it was $550 each, I realise that I must of put in the extra diget had several attempts at posting first post since system has changed.

CheersTony

Sturdee
15th May 2013, 11:10 PM
Hi Smiifi
Sorry about the price actually it was $550 each, I realise that I must of put in the extra diget had several attempts at posting first post since system has changed.

CheersTony

They look good Tony, but I was frightened by the original price. The corrected amount is much better but still dearer then mine which was $89 each. The inserts and additional melamine shelving was recycled or freebies.

Peter.