PDA

View Full Version : New Top

marshalltucker
13th May 2013, 04:11 AM
New top of Silmar 41 resin, aluminum,& brass turned on the Vicmarc and embellished on my rosé engine.

oreos40
13th May 2013, 06:37 AM
do you have to degas that to get a perfect clear finish on that or do the bubbles clear out naturaly before it sets?
Roger

marshalltucker
13th May 2013, 06:50 AM
I cast it in a paint pot under 60 psi. Here is a picture of the billet which I slice in half to make two disc. My mould also. 4" diameter.

Wood Nut
13th May 2013, 08:06 AM
Hi,
I must confess that in years gone by I was not a fan of ornamental turning - maybe it was fear of the unknown. However, my opinion has gradually changed to the point that I am now in awe of much of this work.

As to your effort - simply beautiful:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

What more can I say?

hughie
13th May 2013, 09:17 AM
New top of Silmar 41 resin, aluminum,& brass turned on the Vicmarc and embellished on my rosé engine.

The humble spinning top has risen to a level elegance with this one :2tsup: I can see at this rate you're probably going to attract collectors.

Well done, a magnificent spinning top.

reminds of the 'gasing' tops of Malaysia. Spinning The Gasing | Malaysians in New Zealand (http://malaysiansinnewzealand.wordpress.com/2012/03/20/spinning-the-gasing/)

wheelinround
13th May 2013, 01:49 PM
Hi,
I must confess that in years gone by I was not a fan of ornamental turning - maybe it was fear of the unknown. However, my opinion has gradually changed to the point that I am now in awe of much of this work.

As to your effort - simply beautiful:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

What more can I say?

Paul one can only hope :; just talk to Eric Walker of you club one versed well in all things OT.

wheelinround
13th May 2013, 01:51 PM
Welcome to the forum

What an impressive piece.

Is your Rose Engine home made or commercially bought??

marshalltucker
13th May 2013, 03:11 PM
Home made, I have several cutting devices I'm experimenting with. It's a work in progress.

Simplicity
13th May 2013, 04:51 PM
That is fantastic
A spinning top I which I was young again
But then who cares if I had that now
I would be spinning it all over the kitchen floor

hughie
14th May 2013, 09:19 AM
Home made, I have several cutting devices I'm experimenting with. It's a work in progress.

:U like most of them, look forward to your next crop of tops. :2tsup:

wheelinround
14th May 2013, 10:00 AM

Thanks for showing you Rose Engine a good set up and I agree they are all a WiP :2tsup: