PDA

View Full Version : Surface mount electrical conduit systems

numbat
5th May 2005, 05:12 PM
Hi guys,

My basement workshop is almost finished the building stage - floor slab to be poured in just over a week.

I am looking at options for surface mount conduit for 10 and 15 amp power points and also possibly lighting.

There must be some people out there that have had experience with some kind of conduiting system for electrical cable other than the standard round pvc tube.

So any suggestions?

This workshop has cost a small fortune so I would like it to have a nice neat and finished look when done.

I plan to paint the walls white, epoxy coating on the concrete floor etc.

Cheers

Sturdee
5th May 2005, 05:42 PM
There are square and rectangular box type of pvc conduit with a removable front.

Fix the U shaped back against the wall, insert your cabling and push the front on.

About the same price and you can later take the front of, add extra powerpoints as needed ,and then replace the front.

Peter.

journeyman Mick
5th May 2005, 05:47 PM
Peter,
it's called cable duct (at least by the sparkies I deal with, again it may be a regional thing)

Mick

Sturdee
5th May 2005, 05:54 PM
Probably is a regional thing Mick. :D

I just ask for the rectangular conduit at the electrical wholesaler and the counter staff seems to know what I want.

BTW Bunnings sell it too at about double the price. :eek:

Peter.

Abug
5th May 2005, 06:24 PM
What you are after is something called "Mini Duct".

If you go to www.clipsal.com.au and select PRODUCT SEARCH on the left of the page, the online catalogue will pop up in a new window. Do a WORD search on "MINI DUCT".

Bunnings are not any help for electrical questions on parts and stuff. They are also dearer than what you can get it for at places such as Auslec or Lawrence & Hansen, who come under the larger company Hagemeyer.
www.hagemeyerelectrical.com.au
Lawrence & Hansen In Canberra area = Unit 4 / 3 Barrier St Fyshwick, Ph. (02) 6280 5532
or
Lawrence & Hansen = Unit 2 / 67-71 Vicars St Mitchell Ph. (02) 6242 9655

Hope this helps you out.:)

ozwinner
5th May 2005, 07:27 PM
What you are after is something called "Mini Duct".

Wouldnt it be called Duckling?????

Al :confused:

Jon
8th May 2005, 08:32 AM
we call it "sticky back" ducting at work, rectangular section PVC with a removable cover and double sided tape on the back, comes in lots of sizes.
Even though the tape will hold it to the wall it is worth a couple of mechanical fastners as well, I find that once you get a bit of weight in it, the tape can sometimes let go.

Jon

Shane Watson
8th May 2005, 08:48 AM
well as most of you would know, I travel aust with work and well I get this stuff regularly from varying companies (inc. wholesale) aust wide and I have only ever called it box ducting and no one has ever gone, 'huh?' even the less knowledgable staff at bunnies :eek:
So no doubt the suppliers are used to it being called by various pet names.

bitingmidge
8th May 2005, 09:00 AM
If you want to be a total knob, in the olden days one could get a timber cover, sort of like a "C" or channel section with a fancy moulded top.

This was screwed over the top of the loose cable from the ceiling to the switch on T&G lined houses.

It's probably still available, or you could make your own, but just remember not to bung nails in it after the event!

Cheers,

P

Shaty40
8th May 2005, 09:02 AM
l know the sqare pvc as ausieduct. there is a metal surface ducting system where the power points fit straight into the duct, l think it is called moduline. It has seperate channels inside for different cabling, phone , power etc.

Tim:)

numbat
8th May 2005, 05:14 PM
Thanks Tim,

I did a quick google and found this supplier link http://www.spec-net.com.au/company/moduline.htm . That was the type of system I had in mind - a ducting system that you can fit the power outlets directly to.

Cheers

bitingmidge
8th May 2005, 05:51 PM
No problems!

It's available from any electrical trade wholesaler, like Lawrence and Hanson, used in almost every office building.

Not cheap,

Has up to three separate compartments for running elec, telecom, and data cables.

but you know that ..... now..... :o

Cheers,

P

soundman
11th May 2005, 12:27 AM
There are all sorts of "fancy" duct systems, But I don't think you want to pay for them. Then they often use "special" powerpoints & I don't think you want to pay for those either.
Conventional duct combined with drops of conduit is probably the best option.

Common plastic duct comes in two types, the pretty white stuff in smaller sizes is lighter in the wall & uggly gray stuff which I've seen up to 200mm wide.
75 x 75 gray you can get lots of circuits into. Run it round the workshop above door height & do drops of 25mm conduit down to your GPO's on mounting blocks.
Or runn it along the wall above bench height & fit the GPO's on mounting blocks directly above or below it.

there are haeps of options.
cheers

Cliff Rogers
11th May 2005, 12:38 AM
It's flat duct or round conduit.

Ya can't get the lid off conduit. :rolleyes:

The flat duct has several 'trade' names.

vsquizz
11th May 2005, 02:25 AM
It's flat duct or round conduit.

Ya can't get the lid off conduit. :rolleyes:

The flat duct has several 'trade' names.

Has up to three separate compartments for running elec, telecom, and data cables.

Can ya get it foil lined??

soundman
12th May 2005, 08:50 PM
The fancy & expensive skirting ducts are aluminium extrusion and usualy steel lid sections. Very nice stuff but I don't think you want to pay for it in a workshop.
None of the common plastic ducts are strong enough to mount fittings on.
Then there is uggly steel duct, designed for industrial applications.

Oh yeah baby there are hundreds of ways to run a cable.