PDA

View Full Version : HAFCO wl-18? Should i buy?

SquidLYF
16th May 2013, 06:46 PM
Hey all! Im pretty new to woodturning and i'm looking to get a new lathe without breaking the bank! I've found a second hand HAFCO WL-18 for sale online in my general area and i'm wondering if these lathes are any good? and if i ask to go have a look before buying, is there anything in particular to look out for on used machinery/lathes? Thanks heaps! Max.:U

DaveTTC
16th May 2013, 07:28 PM
I have a Hafco.

Check the head and tail stock line up. If it is a model with a rotating head check it stays aligned after running.

I'm sure others will chime in with more useful tips. Hopefully it comes with chisels etc.

SquidLYF
16th May 2013, 07:56 PM
thanks Dave will do!

Sturdee
16th May 2013, 08:16 PM
I, like many other forumnites, have one.They are a great first lathe but may need tweaking to get it right. There are some posts on the forum about them, a search should find them.

The downfall is the stand, it is flimsy and need to be reinforced or like I have bolted to a bench.

Apart from the alignment of the headstock to the tailstock, make sure that the variable speed change works smoothly. This should only be done whilst the lathe is running.Also check that the toolrest and tailstock slide smoothly and that the lathe bed is
parallel.

Peter.

SquidLYF
16th May 2013, 08:37 PM
Thanks Peter ill keep that in mind!
Now forgive my ignorance but how does one go about checking such alignments? Is it as simple bringing the tailstock centre up to meet the drive centre and making sure they meet central to one another?
And with checking the bed for parallel i'm guessing thats pretty easy with the use of a clean, trusty straight-edge yes? Cheers, Max.

DaveTTC
16th May 2013, 08:58 PM
thats the first step, then draw the tail stock back 300 mm or so, put a piece of timber in the jaws on the head (if it has a scroll chuck) turn it on and the far end of the wood should turn true. you should be able to put a mark on the end that stays 'still' (centre) so to speak. if you slide the tail stock up to this point the centre of the tail stock should line up with the dot on the timber.

If you happen to be in southern NSW feb next year I'm trying to organize a wood worker get together (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f11/wwjj-woodworkers-jerilderie-jaunt-feb-2014-a-170839/#post1648868)

SquidLYF
16th May 2013, 09:15 PM
Oh yeah that makes sense! Anyone know what the spindle size and thread count is? i have a 1inch 8 tpi Barracuda chuck i can use to test it? Max.

P.S. Just contacted the seller and i'm going around to have a look tomorrow arvo :)

DaveTTC
16th May 2013, 09:17 PM
im not a 100% but i think mine is 1" 10

Sturdee
16th May 2013, 10:30 PM
im not a 100% but i think mine is 1" 10

You're right. It is 1" with 10 TPI and has MT 2 at both headstock and tailstock.

I don't know if your chuck has a removable spindle insert, if so a new one to fit is readily available.

Peter.

SquidLYF
16th May 2013, 11:02 PM
it doesn't but i'm pretty sure ill be able to find an external adapter :)

SquidLYF
16th May 2013, 11:33 PM
Having trouble finding any kind of 1inch 10tpi female to 1 inch 8 tpi male adapter, anyone know where the best place to look is? Max.

Sturdee
16th May 2013, 11:59 PM
Having trouble finding any kind of 1inch 10tpi female to 1 inch 8 tpi male adapter, anyone know where the best place to look is? Max.

The only way is to get one made locally by an engineering works or buy one from VERMEC (http://www.vermec.com/index.html). They make good quality stuff and make an spindle adaptor. (http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/SpindleAdaptorPage.pdf)

I have bought quite a bit of stuff from them and I can recommend them.

Peter.

SquidLYF
17th May 2013, 09:06 AM
Thanks again guys!

hughie
17th May 2013, 11:25 AM

I tend to get mine from Jim Carroll, reliable efficient and service, incidentally Gary Pye is out of them currently.

Sturdee
17th May 2013, 01:02 PM
I tend to get mine from Jim Carroll, reliable efficient and service, incidentally Gary Pye is out of them currently.

Hughie, he's not looking for a chuck insert but a special type of adaptor to fit into his chuck which has an 1 " 8 TPI female thread. Probably a US or English chuck which doesn't use our standard size.

Peter.

hughie
17th May 2013, 01:07 PM
Hughie, he's not looking for a chuck insert but a special type of adaptor to fit into his chuck which has an 1 " 8 TPI female thread. Probably a US or English chuck which doesn't use our standard size.

Peter.

Damn! Thats gonna be a challenge

steamingbill
17th May 2013, 01:48 PM
Hello,

McJings have heaps of adaptors on their web page.

Bill

DaveTTC
17th May 2013, 02:10 PM
Thanks again guys!

You should post a pic of your chuck, are you sure it does not have a removable insert. Another option would be a 2MT with a threaded end to suit your chuck. It comes in handy for double chucking if you want to use a chuck in your tail stock.

I would not rely on it for turning in your headstock but may work good enough to check if everything is turning true.

Sturdee
17th May 2013, 03:05 PM
Damn! Thats gonna be a challenge

Not really, Vermec makes them on demand for $ 64. :U

If McJings has them I would still prefer the Vermec one as that is precision machined by an expert rather then a bog standard one from China.

Peter.

ian thorn
17th May 2013, 07:55 PM
If that lathe has a pressed metal stand I had one like it for some yrs I screwed ply to the back of the legs and a piece on the rails that hold the legs in place as a shelf this made it very stiff.

Ian

DaveTTC
17th May 2013, 08:03 PM
If that lathe has a pressed metal stand I had one like it for some yrs I screwed ply to the back of the legs and a piece on the rails that hold the legs in place as a shelf this made it very stiff.

Ian

Yes that would definitely help, that and load up the shelf with bags of cement or sand.

SquidLYF
17th May 2013, 09:20 PM
Dave: Im pretty much 100% sure theres no insert sadly, and i've considered the MT option but i think it just wouldn't work for anything without the support of the tailstock as it would work its way out i'm sure.. Thanks Dave!

Bill / Peter: Thanks bill i checked the website and they do have the adapter i would need so if i do get the lathe ill probably be getting it from here thanks! Peter, as much as i agree about lovely precision engineered stuff vs mass produced chinese stuff, as im still a student finishing of my hsc, money is an issue and at the moment i think ill have to put up with the lesser quality item and upgrade further in the future, Cheers.

Ian that makes sense and will probably be what i end up doing thanks!

And thanks to everyone else for the help and direction! Love the sense of community on the forum!!

orificiam
17th May 2013, 09:38 PM
I'd forget about buying an adapter, it would extend the chuck further away from the head stock, this sometimes resulting in vibrations, you could sell you chuck and buy one to suit the lathe spindle,

There's a nice Jet lathe for sale in the Market lace worth having a look at, and it comes with 2 chucks. http://www.woodworkforums.com/f221/jet-wood-lathe-chucks-170732/

Cheers Tony.:)

Colin62
17th May 2013, 10:33 PM
I'd forget about buying an adapter, it would extend the chuck further away from the head stock, this sometimes resulting in vibrations

Also puts a lot more strain on the bearings, especially if you have a heavy piece that isn't balanced yet.

DaveTTC
17th May 2013, 10:50 PM
I'd forget about buying an adapter, it would extend the chuck further away from the head stock, this sometimes resulting in vibrations, you could sell you chuck and buy one to suit the lathe spindle,

There's a nice Jet lathe for sale in the Market lace worth having a look at, and it comes with 2 chucks. http://www.woodworkforums.com/f221/jet-wood-lathe-chucks-170732/

Also puts a lot more strain on the bearings, especially if you have a heavy piece that isn't balanced yet.

+2 on the adapter. If it is not an insert then not such a good idea

As for MT attachment, I would not use it for normal turning, just to check center alignment and in the tail stock for double chucking. If you were able to source a second hand chuck with the right insert that would probably be your cheapest option.

SquidLYF
20th May 2013, 08:40 PM
YAY!:U Im now the proud owner of a HAFCO wl-18 wood lathe and although its obviously not the greatest lathe in the world, the improvement on my previous/first lathe is unmeasurable!! Thanks for all the wise and helpful words fellas!
Regarding my chuck, i do plan on selling it and getting a more compatible one soon...ish, but for the moment and going to have to put up with the adapter until i have more funds and less life distractions to deal with(Schooling, unemployment and family issues). Thanks heaps everyone, time to get some shavings flying! Cheers, Max.:U

orificiam
20th May 2013, 09:23 PM
YAY!:U Im now the proud owner of a HAFCO wl-18 wood lathe and although its obviously not the greatest lathe in the world, the improvement on my previous/first lathe is unmeasurable!! Thanks for all the wise and helpful words fellas!
Regarding my chuck, i do plan on selling it and getting a more compatible one soon...ish, but for the moment and going to have to put up with the adapter until i have more funds and less life distractions to deal with(Schooling, unemployment and family issues). Thanks heaps everyone, time to get some shavings flying! Cheers, Max.:U

Congrats for the new Lathe, and happy turning.

DaveTTC
20th May 2013, 09:25 PM
Onya max. Glad it worked for you. Be sure to post a pic of some future work on this thread incase I miss a new one ;)

SquidLYF
20th May 2013, 10:06 PM
Thanks Guys! Sure will Dave! :U

Paul39
21st May 2013, 11:30 AM

You might want to put an ad in your local trading paper or on this forum to see if someone would swap a like quality chuck with a 1 X 12 thread for your 1 X 8. The 1 X 8 thread is common as dirt here and a few might have wandered to AU.

Or you could swap an equal quality lathe to fit the chuck.

If you are anxious about an inexpensive adapter, the photo below shows my $19.95 Chinese that adapts my 33 X 3.5mm Hegner spindle to 1 X 8 chuck. Both by Penn State Industries.

The run out on the chuck is barely measurable. I do mostly bowls, so there have been some good sized chunks of out of balance heavy timber out there. The lathe swings 350mm. I have had no problem.

The adapter comes with a MT2 taper in the end which my lathe spindle does not have. My various MT2 bits do not fit tightly in the adapter. There is a bit of wobble when using a drive center. I do have a reamer and eventually that will be corrected.

SquidLYF
24th May 2013, 12:20 AM
Thanks Paul! that makes me feel better about temporarily using an extension adapter which i've been meaning to pick up but my assessment task load for school is INSANE at the moment so it'll have to wait:( You're a mighty helpful bunch everyone, thanks! Max.

BeeFus
2nd November 2013, 10:36 PM
Thanks Paul! that makes me feel better about temporarily using an extension adapter which i've been meaning to pick up but my assessment task load for school is INSANE at the moment so it'll have to wait:( You're a mighty helpful bunch everyone, thanks! Max.

Good on you Max,

I dont think you will be short on help round here especially showing that sort of gratitude well done.

Cheers
BeeF