PDA

View Full Version : More from the firewood man

Old-Biker-UK
19th May 2013, 08:07 AM
Log man called by last week with a couple of loads. Seems he had been clearing a load of timber from some old guys property, all marked with name & some cut as turning blanks. Trouble is this must have been cut long ago - long enough for the bugs to get well established and render most of it fit only for the log burner.
Managed to salvage a few bits, mostly some really nice spalted holly.
Cut and waxed some blanks & rough turned a couple of bowls for a look-see.

Christos
19th May 2013, 08:36 AM
Nice. Also nice to keep your house warm.

Willy Nelson
19th May 2013, 10:16 AM
There wouldn't be too many timbers in Australia that are cut and drying ready for turning that would suffer insect attack other than termites. But this easy to avoid if the timber is stored correctly. Do the wood borers etc seek out fresh timber regardless of how well or where it is stored? I asume that if the timber such as yours is destined for the wood heap, then maybe the owner left it outside, or the ground or exposed?
Cheers
Willy
Jarrahland

wheelinround
19th May 2013, 11:04 AM
Mark nice score all round that spalted wood bowl looks great :2tsup:

I hope Summer isn't to cold and you find more time to turn than to burn :p

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th May 2013, 12:07 PM
I wonder what the old guy did, for his Mrs to sell his spalting farm out from under him? :?:wink::D

Spalted Holly? Good score! :2tsup:

Old-Biker-UK
19th May 2013, 06:52 PM
Willy - This lot looks like it was meant for using, tree names on the ends, some lumps look like they had been waxed on the cut ends at some time but most of it obviously stored outside, probably on the ground hence the spalting.
Unless serious measures are taken, the little b'stards seem to find a way in to the timber however it is stored.
An overall wax coat seems to keep them out as does a decent bug killer but I don't like using that if I am turning the stuff later.
Regarding a wax coating - I do it after rough cutting to shape, my old band-saw gets a bit un-cooperative cutting waxed wood. DAMHIK
Mark

Paul39
20th May 2013, 06:58 AM
An overall wax coat seems to keep them out as does a decent bug killer but I don't like using that if I am turning the stuff later.
Regarding a wax coating - I do it after rough cutting to shape, my old band-saw gets a bit un-cooperative cutting waxed wood. DAMHIK
Mark

Bug holes make the turning more "ORGANIC & RUSTIQUE" :D:D:D and you can charge more for it.

A roughed out turning put in the microwave and given 15 second bursts until it is warm to the touch will take care of the live bugs.

When turning, use your face shield so you don't get bug guts in your face.

Why does your band saw object to waxed timber? Make the blade slip on the tire?

Old-Biker-UK
20th May 2013, 07:33 AM
........Make the blade slip on the tire?

Yup - but my old b/s is well passed it's sell-by date, needs new tyres, blade guides, motor, blade, frame, etc., etc.
Truth is - I need a new b/s - all donations gratefully received........:fingerscrossed:.

Paul39
20th May 2013, 11:12 AM
Yup - but my old b/s is well passed it's sell-by date, needs new tyres, blade guides, motor, blade, frame, etc., etc.
Truth is - I need a new b/s - all donations gratefully received.......

I am in process of buying one of these:

Photo Index - Silver Manufacturing Co. - 20" Band Saw | VintageMachinery.org (http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=15013)

It is a pile of disassembled pieces in a friend's shed.

I had one of these, but lost it when my son cleaned out my yard:

Photo Index - Crescent Machine Co. - Crescent Band saw | VintageMachinery.org (http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=16175)

Old-Biker-UK
20th May 2013, 08:11 PM
Would love a bigger new (old) b/s, been looking for a while for one not too far away.
I'm working on the Micawber principle that 'something will turn up', till then I'll just keep fixing the one I have.
Mark

dr4g0nfly
20th May 2013, 09:29 PM
Spalted Holly, now that sounds interesting. Does it split like ordinary holly or has the spalting relieved the tensions and is it drying nicely?

Old-Biker-UK
21st May 2013, 05:59 AM
Does it split like ordinary holly .........
'Fraid so, I cut the weathered end of one lump and in the time it took to re-fill the chainsaw the checking was showing. So I cut up into blanks and waxed them quick.
The un-spalted wood is a light buff colour so the dark spalting stands out nicely.
I have used a lot of holly for lace bobbins, I found it will stay 'bone' white if it is planked about 3/4" thick and quickly dried. These small boards warp but I only need 1/4" x 4" for the bobbins.

BTW If you want a couple of the blanks PM me for a visit.

Mark

wheelinround
22nd May 2013, 10:04 AM
:aro-u: :2tsup:

dr4g0nfly
23rd May 2013, 06:33 AM
Mark, Sorry not ignoring you but have been away on business. Need some time at home but will see if I can make time for a visit. As you say I will PM you if I can arrange anything.

I like the idea for white lace bobbins. The good lady would like a few as well and the oppertunity to pick your brain at lacework!

Thanks for the invite,

Bryan