PDA

View Full Version : dust collection

mortismith
6th May 2005, 06:59 AM
I want to set up a dust collection sys., using a trash can separator that I'll make. How should the PVC be arranged inside the lid for best separation?

vsquizz
6th May 2005, 09:30 AM
Hi mortismith, welcome to the forum...but boy are you going to get me into trouble.:rolleyes:

The answer to your question is amongst several very good threads run previously on this forum.

Try looking in the "best of" forum if you haven't already but better still was a couple of thread about using 20 & 200 litre drums as a cyclone. If you search with "cyclone" you will get heaps of information.

Here, try these links:

http://woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=9981

http://woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=11139

Cheers

vsquizz
7th May 2005, 01:39 AM
16 hours and no flames??:confused: ..you guys are getting soft:rolleyes: .

bitingmidge
7th May 2005, 11:12 AM
Nope... look at your post again... it was polite and courteous it merely hinted that a search would be the appropriate response, and even gave the parameters for the search, AS WELL as a few links!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

WHO exactly is getting soft round here???

Selfish too, it would have taken 15 posts under normal circumstances to get that much info online!

Cheers,

P
:D :D :D

vsquizz
7th May 2005, 10:31 PM
ROFLMAO:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Cheers

Finger Dicer
8th May 2005, 08:08 AM
I think vsquizz has set you on the right path grasshopper :)

I used Bill Pentz's site to make a mini cyclone for my work shop.

It worked so well all the dust ends up in the reciever can and none in the filters.

To make one like mind would cost no more than $50 tops, mine actually cost $5.

The hoses that attached to it cost $35.00. It is also able to be used with my dust extraction system as well, so has a double function. Its powered by an electrolux vacuum cleaner which I now have found would have easily powered a unit double its size.

PM me if you want the details and I will email then to you.

Piccys here (http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=viewall&albumID=340285576)

Jon
8th May 2005, 08:51 AM
Finger Dicer, your link rejects because it is expecting that it is you logging on. There must be some way a visitor can take a peek.

What sort of hose do you use. I have a home made cyclone powered by a vacumn cleaner and using vacumn cleaner hose for the intake to the cyclone I quite often get blockages from large splinters getting jammed across the hose.

Jon

stiff jointed
8th May 2005, 11:43 PM
Well we all seem to have different ideas on dust extraction systems and what actually works.
All i can add to this is that i have had small carba-tec and jet bag filters, with and without pleated filters, and i thought they worked fine as long as I kept them clean. More on that later.
About 6 months ago i purchased the Trupro CT-235DC cyclone dust system and installed it with 6" fixed piping with small reductions with flexible hose at the machines. I have found it 100% more effective than anything i have used previously. I have had the air tested around the bag filter during full production and it all passed above National exposure standards for atmospheric contaminants.
The same cannot be said for all of the previously mentioned portable units, which all failed dismally. And have been dismanted and scraped.
I make a lot more sawdust than i'd like and now the majority ends up in the bins and not on the floor. My apprentice is the happiest he has ever been and now is lucky to collect a handful of dust from the floors compared to buckets.
All systems have advantages and disadvantages depending on what they are subjected to. I know my health and those that work for me is much better now and i am confident i am providing a safer work environment.
Dont knock them until you have tried them. I have documented evidence that satisfied the unions and government.
Best $1400.00 i ever spent.

Finger Dicer
9th May 2005, 03:35 PM
Re piccys sorry Jon...brain fade

Try this as it should now be right. Piccys (http://community.webshots.com/album/340285576BEUKnK)