PDA

View Full Version : Raiser Blocks

NewLou
6th May 2005, 01:04 PM
Gidday Everyone :)

With a new set a Bessey Clamps on the Way :D I thought I 'd better start working on a few Jigs to Help them get their Job Done. One of the First things I have decided to make is some Raiser blocks out of some 14mm MDF...........4 in all

Simple construction with a few rabids n dadoes to hold her together n add some strength....................final joinery glued n screwed. I DECIDED TO USE 10MM 6MM 0.5MM Forstner n through Bits to ensure a neat countersink and centrepoint to guide the screws home (See Pics)

As I work more with MDF I'm certainly starting to find it has a few quirks to look out for. One of the most frustrating is its tendency to split when drilling or screwing into what would be normally considered the end grain or edges. A solution I came across in Shop Notes is to clamp down the area being drilled or screwed. (See Pics) I can certainly verify that this is an effective technique......................I got no splitting what so ever using this technique.

Post on the finished Raiser Blocks on the way

REgards Lou

NewLou
6th May 2005, 01:13 PM
Gidday :D

Well heres 2 finished raiser blocks. Strong Handy n easy to construct. The idea behind these is to make it easy to slide clamps under large glueups, cabenet panels, doors n the like. I'll post some pics of them in action once I recieve me Besseys n start putting em to the test.

See pics to get an idea of the dimensions

REgards LOu

Harry72
7th May 2005, 01:03 AM
Hey Lou, you need to retire that BBQ setting and build a work bench... good project to test out them bessey's on eh?

NewLou
7th May 2005, 03:16 PM
Yer Yer..............I know Harry :p

I got a slab already glued up but she's cupped about an inch (F17) from seasonal movement. Was the first project I used my Drill Press on and got carried away with slapping something together rather than planning and seasoning the stock before I put it to use. :mad:

I've decided to cut her in half and get her re thicknessed and at this stage I am planning to make a Dovetailers Bench as seen here:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=16415

Will get to a Dedicated work Bench as the need arises BUT so far the good old BBQ table with a slab a MDF or Melamine over the top continues to serve me well....................But Yer Yer I know Harry I know :o :o :o

REGards Lou :D :D :D