PDA

View Full Version : The Skew's Long Point.

issatree
21st May 2013, 03:00 AM
Hi To You All,
I've been doing a fair bit of Spindle Work lately.
I have been using wood 180mm. - 7in x 10mm. - 3/8in. x 3/8in., then taking that down to žin. then to 1/8in. in places.
So therefore you can get quite a lot of Vibration Waves in the Item, & it can depend on what Wood you use.
I have found that Leatherwood ( Tas.) is one of the best, & Cotoneaster, Cypress, Oak, as well, & this is using the Short Point of my 24 x 8mm. P&N Skew.
So, for the Woods that don't Preform to well with a Skew, I now use the Long Point, Sharpened in the Raffan Style, with a Curved Blade, & approx. 15 - 16mm Bevel.
Yes, you have to be careful, & quite attentive, but I seem to have little trouble, doing it this way, & of course NO Vibrations. Tool Rest must be up very close to revolving wood, & about the thickness of the Blade below the wood.
Most always this is done at 3000 RPM.
Wood not even think of doing it any Slower, but that is me.

dr4g0nfly
23rd May 2013, 06:23 AM
Did you try adjusting the angle of the blade against the timber. I have two 3/4" skew with different angles to the skew to allow me a greater range of angle of cut. I also have a 1" straight skew for really difficult cuts that need a really flat angle.

issatree
23rd May 2013, 11:54 AM
Hi Dragonfly,
I don't have any Problems with a Skew, I was just making a point, so as to change the way to use a Skew.
I will stick with the Bevel being Twice the thickness of the Skew + -.
That was the way I learnt from reading what " Woodturner / Writer " George Hatfield, NSW, OZ, did, & it works for me.
I've stated in the past, that I have 12 Skews, counting Parting Tools, Beading Tools as well.
They are Mainly P&N, & John McGing Steel, Sydney OZ.
I find the Chinese Steel very Good, & really can't disregard it in any way, & it is almost as good as P&N.

chuck1
23rd May 2013, 10:05 PM
=issatree;1651500]Hi Dragonfly,
I don't have any Problems with a Skew, I was just making a point, so as to change the way to use a Skew.
I will stick with the Bevel being Twice the thickness of the Skew + -.
That was the way I learnt from reading what " Woodturner / Writer " George Hatfield, NSW, OZ, did, & it works for

and me! great teacher/author Mr George Hatfieldwish I paid more attention at Tafe least I have my note to refer to!