PDA

View Full Version : Critique pictures. Read 1st post

RETIRED
23rd May 2013, 10:29 PM
This only applies to Pen pics.

BE WARNED !!!. Pictures posted in here are put here for CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM.

They must be the works of the person posting.

If you can't handle the heat stay out of the kitchen.

Any DEROGATORY or FRIVOLOUS post will be EDITED OR DELETED as may be the case.

bdar
23rd May 2013, 10:38 PM
Ok this is my first Bolt Action pen went with the standard camo colours. What improvements finishing or style design do you think to make it better. I think urban camo will go well but i was thinking all black. Do you think that would be too much.

Cheers
Darren

gawdelpus
24th May 2013, 06:30 AM
Darren I have done these in all black and look ok, but I think gunmetal is a better combo on these, of course its all in the eye of the beholder in the end :) Cheers ~ John

bdar
24th May 2013, 07:38 AM
Thank you John, looks like Jim will be spending more of my money soon. Thanks for your input,

Dorno
24th May 2013, 10:15 PM
I am a little confused:? i am trying to work out why we have had to go to making a designated thread for where we can have our pens critiqued :rolleyes: or critique on others ? i thought that every time i post a pen on the forum I am quite happy for anyone to comment on my pens. during the time that I have been a member here i have always tried to comment on pens posted on the forum by other member and have NEVER been rude in commenting on other peoples pens and thought that was the whole idea of the forum along with sharing thoughts and idea's ? I have noticed for some time now that things have been really quiet with numbers down on the amount of people contributing ? i have no idea why and really do enjoy reading and looking at items posted and it would be a huge shame to see it get any quieter :( and surely if someone posts a pen on the forum that is shall i say obviously could be better are we expected to say nice work ?

Cheers Ian

gawdelpus
24th May 2013, 10:33 PM
Dorno I suspect its in the wording ,"comments " as opposed to" Critique " I suspect this applies throughout the forums , to me a comment can be almost anything pertinent , and a critique is asking for judgement and guidance , I could be wrong on this though :) cheers ~ John

wheelinround
25th May 2013, 11:21 AM
I agree with Dorno on this and think being the term is such IS to Criticize.

Critique (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critique) is a method (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/method) of disciplined, systematic analysis of a written or oral discourse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discourse). Critique is commonly understood as fault finding and negative judgement,[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critique#cite_note-Gasche07p12-1) but it can also involve merit recognition, and in the philosophical tradition it also means a methodical practice of doubt.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critique#cite_note-Gasche07p12-1) The contemporary sense of critique has been largely influenced by the Enlightenment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Enlightenment) critique of prejudice and authority, which championed the emancipation and autonomy from religious and political authorities.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critique#cite_note-Gasche07p12-1) Critique is an accepted format of written and oral debate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debate).

critique - definition of critique by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/critique)

To Critique is to Criticize Criticize | Define Criticize at Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/criticize)
criticize
  Use Criticize in a sentence (http://www.reference.com/example-sentences/criticize)
crit·i·cize [krit-uh-sahyz] Show IPA verb, crit·i·cized, crit·i·ciz·ing.
verb (used with object) 1. to censure or find fault with.

2. to judge or discuss the merits and faults of: to criticize three novels in one review.

verb (used without object) 3. to find fault; judge unfavorably or harshly.

4. to make judgments as to merits and faults.

It can bring on a form of depression because of such harsh words which has proven in circles of authors and artists their end.

tdrumnut
25th May 2013, 01:58 PM
That pen looks fine to me, however John is right it would look better in gunmetal, the black kit in my opinion would look better in urban cammo, or a navy cammo.
Not sure what the first post is all about so I'll ignore it.

Ironwood
25th May 2013, 05:50 PM
The main woodturning has a similar thread that has been going for some time, the first post in that one is identical to the first post here.
The one up there seems to be well used, so maybe this one will gain some momentum and make things a bit more lively around here.
I think we need a boost.

One thing that I would like to see, is to make this thread accessible to members only. If the lurkers want to see what is going on, they can join up to do so, and maybe contribute something themselves for a change.

This pen forum seems to get a lot of visitors, but few contributors.
I dont have much spare time anymore to turn many pens, so my contributions here are few as well, but I still come to look, and I do comment when I feel the need.

Ironwood
25th May 2013, 06:00 PM
Ok this is my first Bolt Action pen went with the standard camo colours. What improvements finishing or style design do you think to make it better. I think urban camo will go well but i was thinking all black. Do you think that would be too much.

Cheers
Darren

Darren, I have only made the gold version of this kit so I havent seen the other versions in the flesh. Its a bit hard to see yours properly in your photo, it needs a bit of shadow reduction to show the pen a bit better.
Your background is well exposed but the pen is too dark.
I have no doubt it is well made, as the standard you have set for your pens is very high.

Nai84
25th May 2013, 07:40 PM
I find this funny as I see alot of threads on here that have been viewed but no commented on at all I post on every thread I go into unless I know nothing about what is being disgust. So if we need momentum how about starting with the threads in the pen forum first. I know everyone has there own opinions and I am just expressing mine atm

Ian

Ironwood
25th May 2013, 08:12 PM
I find this funny as I see alot of threads on here that have been viewed but no commented on at all I post on every thread I go into unless I know nothing about what is being disgust. So if we need momentum how about starting with the threads in the pen forum first. I know everyone has there own opinions and I am just expressing mine atm

Ian

Thats part of the point I was making Ian. You can see how many people look, by the counter, but only a very small percentage make a comment.

I think anything to spark some interest and discussion has got to be a good thing. I find myself going over to the IAP a lot lately to get a bit of a fix over there as its plenty lively.

I just went and had a look again at the critique thread in the woodturning forum again, 377 posts and 84213 views in 5 years, so what does that work out at, maybe 1 post every 5 days on average. Maybe not as lively as I first thought at first glance. But its getting plenty of lookers.
I havent read through the posts by the way. But maybe I will now that I know its there.

bdar
25th May 2013, 08:37 PM
Guys I was the one that put the suggestion to Neil, is giving it a go. I do not reply to all threads, I respond to people I know and what I think is a well crafted pen. Some post to their hearts content for NPGJ, attaboys, likes, views and comments. We have a wealth of brilliant pen crafters here and I do not put myself in that category not by a long shot. That knowledge needs to be passed on by critiquing. If there is something wrong say it in a manner that is polite and offer your input in how you would approach it. I comes down to it whether you want to become better or not. Maybe there are a lot that have achieved the Master Pen Crafter Status. At the end of the day ones that want to here well done and NPGJ and not want constructive feedback will never post here

tdrumnut
25th May 2013, 08:56 PM
OK I think I can see where this is going now (bit slow on the uptake tonite). But I just have to ask, what is NPGJ????

bdar
25th May 2013, 09:05 PM
OK I think I can see where this is going now (bit slow on the uptake tonite). But I just have to ask, what is NPGJ????

Nice Pen Good Job. The IAP was mentioned, those that can remember him and was a personal friend of mine, EAGLE. To be critiqued by Eagle was not for the faint hearted, but when you put a pen up you had to bring your A game and he only critiqued you if he thought you had something going for you.

Nai84
25th May 2013, 09:17 PM
Thats part of the point I was making Ian. You can see how many people look, by the counter, but only a very small percentage make a comment.

I think anything to spark some interest and discussion has got to be a good thing. I find myself going over to the IAP a lot lately to get a bit of a fix over there as its plenty lively.

I just went and had a look again at the critique thread in the woodturning forum again, 377 posts and 84213 views in 5 years, so what does that work out at, maybe 1 post every 5 days on average. Maybe not as lively as I first thought at first glance. But its getting plenty of lookers.
I havent read through the posts by the way. But maybe I will now that I know its there.

Hey mate

Lol mate I know just had to say it like I saw it lol

I think if we need to shake things up how about another pen challenge or something like that for forum members only. I just looked at the challenge thread and the last one was 2010 now thats awhile ago. I know we have the pen swap and mystery box but I think something different is in order to get things cranking

Ian

Nai84
25th May 2013, 09:28 PM
Ok so I am gonna put one of mine up and see what is said ;-)

It a Sierra SWC python shedded snake skin. Did this one today to prove something so let's see if I did just that :-D

Ian

Putting my money were my mouth is

mach70
25th May 2013, 09:45 PM
Ok so I am gonna put one of mine up and see what is said ;-)

It a Sierra SWC python shedded snake skin. Did this one today to prove something so let's see if I did just that :-D

Ian

Looks great Ian.

I doubt it is there but in the pic it looks like there is a bubble in the cast.

Cheers

Shawn

Ironwood
25th May 2013, 09:46 PM
I saw in another thread where you mentioned that you finish-turned this pen between centres Ian.
From what I can see in the photo you have got it pretty well spot-on. I can see on the top edge of the lower end (nib end) the blank looks slightly proud of the fittings ( this is how I like mine as well), I know from experience that it looks exaggerated in the photo, in real life it will be barely noticeable.

The blank speaks for itself, its good.

Sturdee
25th May 2013, 09:58 PM

Ian, seeing that it is in the Critique section I'll post my opinion but if it was a general post I would refrain from posting lest I offend anyone.

I personally abhor snakes and feel that they all ought to be eradicated. So a pen made of snake skins is IMO abhorrent and I would never have one in my possession and as such I don't like it.

My opinion.

Peter.

Nai84
25th May 2013, 10:08 PM
Looks great Ian.

I doubt it is there but in the pic it looks like there is a bubble in the cast.

Cheers

Shawn

Thanks Shawn no bubbles in this one I pretty much got rid of that problem :-D but if u feels like saving the image and pointing it out I am up for it :-D

I saw in another thread where you mentioned that you finish-turned this pen between centres Ian.
From what I can see in the photo you have got it pretty well spot-on. I can see on the top edge of the lower end (nib end) the blank looks slightly proud of the fittings ( this is how I like mine as well), I know from experience that it looks exaggerated in the photo, in real life it will be barely noticeable.

The blank speaks for itself, its good.

Hey mate thanks I did turn this one between centers with no bushes and there is a very small step and I mean small lol. After my last one was pointed out I set out to minimize that issue with some feed back from Neil much appreciated mate. So I am still not taking it all the way down but that is by choice just like ur self Ironwood I like it like this :-D thanks for the feed back guys. Ok so I am gonna chuck another one up and see how it goes looking for some feed back on this one

Thanks
Ian

Ok so I put 3 up :-o

Dorno
25th May 2013, 10:16 PM
Ian I am not sure what I think of them and would really need a good look at them before I can Critique your pen so it looks like you are going to have to send them to me :D:D

Cheers Ian

Ps :2tsup: love them mate

mach70
25th May 2013, 10:22 PM
Thanks Shawn no bubbles in this one I pretty much got rid of that problem :-D but if u feels like saving the image and pointing it out I am up for it :-D

Here ya go

Just looks like one to me, having said this I'm very new to casting so still learning.

Cheers

Shawn

Ironwood
25th May 2013, 10:29 PM
I find 10 times more faults when I am looking at photos of my pens on the big monitor than when I am looking at the pen itself.

Ironwood
25th May 2013, 10:35 PM
Ian, my only criticism of your 3 pens in your latest post, is that the blanks are a little too proud of the fittings for my liking.

Nai84
25th May 2013, 10:37 PM
Ian I am not sure what I think of them and would really need a good look at them before I can Critique your pen so it looks like you are going to have to send them to me :D:D

Cheers Ian

Ps :2tsup: love them mate

Lol mate thanks but 2 of the have already gone two there new homes lol :-PIan

Nai84
25th May 2013, 10:43 PM
Here ya go

Just looks like one to me, having said this I'm very new to casting so still learning.

Cheers

Shawn

Hey mate ok I can tell u that is part of the shedded skin and not a bubble. Not sure if everyone knows this but when the sheds its skin it actually stretches about 30% of the actual size of the snake ;-) and thats what u are seeing in the pic mate

Ian, my only criticism of your 3 pens in your latest post, is that the blanks are a little too proud of the fittings for my liking.

Duly noted mate ;-)

Thanks for the feed back

Ian

mach70
25th May 2013, 11:02 PM
Hey mate ok I can tell u that is part of the shedded skin and not a bubble. Not sure if everyone knows this but when the sheds its skin it actually stretches about 30% of the actual size of the snake ;-) and thats what u are seeing in the pic mate

Ian

Wasn't aware the skin stretched so much and definitely knew you wouldn't put up a pen with and obvious flaw as a bubble.

Cheers

Shawn

Nai84
25th May 2013, 11:19 PM
Wasn't aware the skin stretched so much and definitely knew you wouldn't put up a pen with and obvious flaw as a bubble.

Cheers

Shawn

U are know lol I would but they dont tend to make it to pens and if they do I fill the bubble so it's like it was never there lol but I dont have issues with bubbles any more :-D

Ian

mach70
25th May 2013, 11:34 PM
U are know lol I would but they dont tend to make it to pens and if they do I fill the bubble so it's like it was never there lol but I dont have issues with bubbles any more :-D

Ian

CA has been my friend when it comes to bubbles in my 1st lot of castings

Nai84
25th May 2013, 11:35 PM
CA has been my friend when it comes to bubbles in my 1st lot of castings

Lol mate I am hearing u :-D

Ian

Dorno
26th May 2013, 05:12 PM
Well I have just had a great hour or more long conversation with Darren through facebook about this thread:D and it was great i can now understand what he is trying to get happening with this thread and hope that it gets some momentum and really helps with us improving as pen turners. I also hope that those who are not brave enough like me :D just kidding will still ask for comments in the other threads and can be given constructive comments without being thrown to the wolves that will help us all in the future ?

Thanks again Bdar

Cheers Ian

Nai84
26th May 2013, 05:47 PM
Well I have just had a great hour or more long conversation with Darren through facebook about this thread:D and it was great i can now understand what he is trying to get happening with this thread and hope that it gets some momentum and really helps with us improving as pen turners. I also hope that those who are not brave enough like me :D just kidding will still ask for comments in the other threads and can be given constructive comments without being thrown to the wolves that will help us all in the future ?

Thanks again Bdar

Cheers Ian

Well said mate I have had my feed back on my pens and have taken that on board and I will endeavor to improve my skills but I also will stand on my own two feet :D any feed back is better then none and I have a chuck of guys on this forum to thank for there help on the way :D this forum has helped me a ton but I have also explored on my own as many of us probably have done. So Darren mate I take my hat of to u sir :D

Keep it up guys

Ian

Nai84
26th May 2013, 06:29 PM
Ok so it's me again

Here is my first SN Gent I ever did whats ur thoughts and were can I improve on the pen

Ian

MBUMIK
26th May 2013, 11:34 PM
Ok so it's me again

Here is my first SN Gent I ever did whats ur thoughts and were can I improve on the pen

Ian

well mate apart from it being a snake skin, which you should remember what i said about them, it looks to me to be a little proud of the components, apart from that there is a couple of specks of dust on the pen:;, but the finish looks to have come up pretty good, great job on the casting as well, can't see any bubbles

all the best

MIK

Nai84
26th May 2013, 11:42 PM
well mate apart from it being a snake skin, which you should remember what i said about them, it looks to me to be a little proud of the components, apart from that there is a couple of specks of dust on the pen:;, but the finish looks to have come up pretty good, great job on the casting as well, can't see any bubbles

all the best

MIK

Hey Mate

Thanks for the feed back ;-) and I remember lol dust where :-( I always clean the before photos are taken and as for bubbles u wont see any coz that issue is long gone :-D

Ian

Glen Hendricks
31st May 2013, 12:12 PM
Hey like the snakeskin pen. I am in the learning stage of turning wood, I have been turning acrylic for a couple of years now and the seem to come out real nice. Here I a couple of some that I have done. Tell me whatcha think.

Ironwood
31st May 2013, 08:52 PM
Hey like the snakeskin pen. I am in the learning stage of turning wood, I have been turning acrylic for a couple of years now and the seem to come out real nice. Here I a couple of some that I have done. Tell me whatcha think.

Hi Glen, welcome to the forum.

I am assuming since you posted your photos in this "critique " thread, you want honest feedback.

From what I can see, your brass tubes are showing, especially evident on the white pens. To overcome this you will need to paint your tubes, or as I do and back paint the blank.

Your barrels are sitting proud of the metal fittings in places, some places look to be matched though. I know this can be deceiving quite often in photos, it can look worse than it actually is. But I can only comment on what I can see going by your photos.

Your finish looks pretty good from here, and your "bush to bush" turning gives them a clean look.

spankingpigeon
2nd June 2013, 05:02 PM
Hi all
This is a David Broadwell Art Deco Black T/N & 22kt Gold Rollerball Pen wrapped in a green acrylic.
Please be kind lol :B

Ironwood
2nd June 2013, 05:43 PM
Well Spankin', I cant find any faults at all, if I was to try and find anything negative in that pen I would be just nit picking.

The transition from pen barrel to metal fittings looks perfect, the barrels look to be perfectly straight bush to bush, and the finish looks flawless.
Not sure if the brassy colour up near the clip on the cap is the tube showing through, but I suspect its just a reflection.

All in all I think thats a top shelf pen, and the photography is top shelf too. Well done.

Nai84
2nd June 2013, 08:27 PM
Well I agree with Ironwood mate a perfect pen ;-)

Ian

spankingpigeon
4th July 2013, 12:36 AM
Well nothing has been posted in here for a while so thought id throw my head on the chopping block again lol
This is a Allocasuarina Box set all made from a log i was given ( have a mate who works for the dump and he salvaged it for me)

Nai84
4th July 2013, 01:35 AM
Well nothing has been posted in here for a while so thought id throw my head on the chopping block again lol
This is a Allocasuarina Box set all made from a log i was given ( have a mate who works for the dump and he salvaged it for me)
Hey Brad

If I had anything to say would be the mmmmmm awesome it's looks well made all round top job. The background in ur pics would be the only thing I would pick on imo

Ian

spankingpigeon
4th July 2013, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the feedback, Because the timber was dark i thought i would try for and antique look to the photos and not sure if i pulled it off :doh:

Nai84
4th July 2013, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Because the timber was dark i thought i would try for and antique look to the photos and not sure if i pulled it off :doh:

Like I said mate just imo lol

Nai84
11th July 2013, 12:37 AM
Revisited my fist SN Gent and redid the cap what do u think

salty72
11th July 2013, 02:41 AM
##### house...:D really didn't leave any room for negative comments at all. I want to see less effort on the next one OK ..?

maybe you could try and cast a few snake leathers ... <VTIC> :p:p

Dorno
11th July 2013, 09:21 AM
##### house...:D really didn't leave any room for negative comments at all. I want to see less effort on the next one OK ..?

What he said ssssssssssssensssssssational :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers Ian
I would like th see you have a go at some snake leather skins as well :D:D:D

BettyBoop
11th July 2013, 09:42 AM
Ian you pens look great. I just have one question are the boys (Dorn and 043T) having a lend of you.? looking at their comments, I feel there might be more to their requests - Is this an inside joke...?

BB

Nai84
11th July 2013, 09:50 AM

Lol Mark well that's good to hear :-P leathers???? What leathers pmsl

What he said ssssssssssssensssssssational :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Cheers Ian
I would like th see you have a go at some snake leather skins as well :D:D:D
Thanks Ian
Well let's see u do it then :-P

Ian you pens look great. I just have one question are the boys (Dorn and 043T) having a lend of you.? looking at their comments, I feel there might be more to their requests - Is this an inside joke...?

BB
Thanks BB they are taking the lol

salty72
11th July 2013, 10:00 AM
hi BB,
I asked Ian (Nai84) to try and fix a problem I was having when I cast some snakeskin leather, as I know he is fantastic as doing the snakes etc.. but there is something about the leather I sent that just didn't want to play the game and together we wasted over $40 of skin and only had very limited sucess (2 blanks each)

So yer I was ribbing him a bit (only cause we love him and I messed it up just as bad)

Dorno
11th July 2013, 04:03 PM
Betty yes of course i was taking the micky out of Ian and enjoying every bit of it:D i can't tell him his pens are great or he might get a big head over it :wink:
with regards to the bit about making pen with real skins well as you know i went overseas recently and bought back a few nice snake skins and hope to turn them into pens also so rather than wasting my money/skins in trying to do it i thought i would let ian or Mark (I don't care who ) work it all out then I could use some of the skins below and turn into pens. i am a little concerned how the colour will go when it come to casting in the resin as it could loose the colour ? time will tell.

Cheers Ian

Nai84
11th July 2013, 06:33 PM
Betty yes of course i was taking the micky out of Ian and enjoying every bit of it:D i can't tell him his pens are great or he might get a big head over it :wink:

Cheers Ian
Mate feel free to tell me how good I am :-P

Ian

spankingpigeon
11th September 2013, 01:05 AM
Its been awhile since this thread was posted in so thought i would show off my first attempt at a closed end pen.
its a simple desk pen kit with a red, yellow and blue swirl acrylic blank that i was going to throw out because it was so ugly ( my 3 yr old son picked it out ) but it surprised me lol:;
this last one has been played with on photoshop to sort of show the luminosity of the colours

Beedeejay
11th September 2013, 11:40 PM
Its been awhile since this thread was posted in so thought i would show off my first attempt at a closed end pen.
its a simple desk pen kit with a red, yellow and blue swirl acrylic blank that i was going to throw out because it was so ugly ( my 3 yr old son picked it out ) but it surprised me lol:;

this last one has been played with on photoshop to sort of show the luminosity of the colours

I like it, :2tsup:
the edited photo looks better IMO,

If anything I would probably prefer it thicker but that is neither here no there,

How did you make it? Would it be possible to make a rollerball version?

cheers Ben

spankingpigeon
12th September 2013, 10:23 AM
Thanks
yea the edited pic is closer to what it looks like in person but i couldn't get the background right so thats why i had to edit it and quite badly to lol
I used a desk pen set from carbatec but i see no reason why it couldnt be a rollerball, infact my next one will use a sedona nib end and cap end and will be similar to Classico Desk Pen | Smithsonian Museum Store (http://www.smithsonianstore.com/home-decor/desk-accessories/classico-desk-pen-78204.html)
and Question about "Desk Pen" kits - International Association of Penturners (http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/question-about-desk-pen-kits-42421/)

tdrumnut
12th September 2013, 01:40 PM
[QUOTE=spankingpigeon;1695419]Its been awhile since this thread was posted in so thought i would show off my first attempt at a closed end pen.

Excellent work Spanking, great colours.

artme
12th September 2013, 01:57 PM
Great work mate!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Different to the usual closed ends but very likable.

Tangoman
20th October 2013, 08:12 PM
G'day Folks,

Please look over these pens and tell what you think and why ! Also this is my first attempt at Macro photography - all advice WARMLY welcomed !!!

Regards,
Cam

PenTurner
8th December 2013, 12:02 AM
Cam, from what I can see, the first pen, the Jnr Gent with the Celtic Knot, the main body of the pen seems a little over turned(ie too much has been taken off) and the fittings are therefore proud(sticking out about 0.5 mil., the finish seems to be ok. The Paua Sierra maybe to the liking of some eyes, but that design just looks like patchwork, also Sierra's do not lend themselves to the Pregnant snake look, follow the lines on Sierra's. The Sedonna, cannot tell if it is just the light, but the bottom end of the cap it looks like the CA has lifted when when you put it together. The two Sierras(actually one is an Elegant Beauty I think), the one at the rear looks great and the curves seem to match in, The one at the front is the typical Pregnant Snake look, and is not aesthetically pleasing to the eye. For two months of turning you are doing very well, keep up the turning. Amos:):)

PenTurner
8th December 2013, 12:08 AM
Spankingpigeon, I like the workmanship in your three pens, the design resembles bowling pins, I can see the usefulness of a thicker grip at the bottom, probably a straight out slim design may look more elegant for a ladies handbag. Amos

PenTurner
8th December 2013, 08:52 AM
Revisited my fist SN Gent and redid the cap what do u think
Hello Ian, your workmanship is good, the blank doesn't do it justice, in your case the snake and its features have you enamoured. Your blank shows the true nature of a shed snake skin, but as a snake skin pen I would like to see the depth and thickness of colour that is on a real snake, that means that the reverse of the skin would need to be treated in some way so as to look like a true snake, your snake skin is transparent and allows different colours to shine through, however, on a snake there is no transperancy. The comment made about an air bubble that wasn't an air bubble is due to the nature of the shed snake skin. In this regard, you would need to grade your snake skins, those that are thick and give the pure colour of the snake, those that are thin and transparent, etc. Of course individual taste may influence in this matter, but I will find a Python skin pen I made some years ago and post it here so you can see what I am saying. The pen is at another location, can't do it today. Amos:)

Nai84
8th December 2013, 05:26 PM
Hello Ian, your workmanship is good, the blank doesn't do it justice, in your case the snake and its features have you enamoured. Your blank shows the true nature of a shed snake skin, but as a snake skin pen I would like to see the depth and thickness of colour that is on a real snake, that means that the reverse of the skin would need to be treated in some way so as to look like a true snake, your snake skin is transparent and allows different colours to shine through, however, on a snake there is no transperancy. The comment made about an air bubble that wasn't an air bubble is due to the nature of the shed snake skin. In this regard, you would need to grade your snake skins, those that are thick and give the pure colour of the snake, those that are thin and transparent, etc. Of course individual taste may influence in this matter, but I will find a Python skin pen I made some years ago and post it here so you can see what I am saying. The pen is at another location, can't do it today. Amos:)

Hey Amos

Thanks for the feed back mate. I am intrigued on the process u are talking about and am pondering on how to apply such a method ;-) but being made from kariten I not sure how that would work

Ian

PenTurner
8th December 2013, 05:44 PM
Ian, the chaps at the Casting day were admiring your casting skills, when I finally get the picture up here, you will be able to inform us a bit better, Amos:):2tsup:

Nai84
8th December 2013, 05:53 PM
Ian, the chaps at the Casting day were admiring your casting skills, when I finally get the picture up here, you will be able to inform us a bit better, Amos:):2tsup:

Oh really admiring me Lol

PenTurner
8th December 2013, 08:27 PM
WElllllll!!!! not so much you but your casting!!!:D:D:)Amos(we all know people who harbour snakes have a screw loose somewhere!!!!:D:):rolleyes:Amos!!!

Nai84
8th December 2013, 08:31 PM
WElllllll!!!! not so much you but your casting!!!:D:D:)Amos(we all know people who harbour snakes have a screw loose somewhere!!!!:D:):rolleyes:Amos!!!

Lol mate true if u are talking about my casts then at least I know I am on the right track Lol

Lol well I must have 11 screws loose somewhere then :-P

Ian

salty72
9th December 2013, 08:24 AM
Lol mate true if u are talking about my casts then at least I know I am on the right track Lol

Lol well I must have 11 screws loose somewhere then :-P

Ian

:D only 11 - thinking a few must be loose B4 you get your first one :2tsup: (VTIC)

we comemnted on how you had a good colour mix for a newbie - maybe a photo showing the pour and process would help others... ??

PenTurner
9th December 2013, 01:56 PM
Ian, I still have a pen here from about 4 or 5 years ago, I will send it to you for evaluation of the skin, I will post piccy tonight. Amos:)

Nai84
9th December 2013, 03:53 PM
:D only 11 - thinking a few must be loose B4 you get your first one :2tsup: (VTIC)

we comemnted on how you had a good colour mix for a newbie - maybe a photo showing the pour and process would help others... ??
Lol mate u are a funny man aren't u. Maybe that's why we get along so well :-)

A newbie Lol I do try :-D bit hard to take pics while pouring lol

Ian, I still have a pen here from about 4 or 5 years ago, I will send it to you for evaluation of the skin, I will post piccy tonight. Amos:)
Cool mate looking forward to seeing some pics ;-)

Ian

PenTurner
9th December 2013, 04:17 PM
Ian, here are the Pictures, I will send the Python for you to see in person.:oo: Amos er! I mean the Python Sierra pen!:):rolleyes:

Nai84
9th December 2013, 08:22 PM
Ian, here are the Pictures, I will send the Python for you to see in person.:oo: Amos er! I mean the Python Sierra pen!:):rolleyes:

Hey cool looking pens :-D are they real hides or vinyl???

Ian

PenTurner
9th December 2013, 10:18 PM
These are real hides, use to have to be careful in turning because if you went too deep you would expose the skin! so it was best to use the Sierra VISTA, Amos:)

Nai84
9th December 2013, 10:53 PM
These are real hides, use to have to be careful in turning because if you went too deep you would expose the skin! so it was best to use the Sierra VISTA, Amos:)

I thought so :'(

Being a snake lover and conservationists this makes me cry :'( Lol

But still attractive pens ;-)

Ian

Beesncheese
31st January 2014, 06:14 PM
This is a Sedona pen in Native Cherry and a Shellawax finish. I am a newbie so any advice is welcome. Hubby still coming to terms with sharing his shed :U

gawdelpus
31st January 2014, 08:19 PM
Looks OK to me, I have always liked the Sedona as a good all round pen either fountain or rollerball , See if you can get hold of some "glow "from u-beaut ,around $40 dollars for a bottle but you only need a few drops per pen and will give a much better shine and longer lasting finish :) follow the directions on the bottle ,needs some pressure to generate enough heat to bond with the timber .
I can see why Hubby might want to keep you out of the shed,probably worried you will be a better turner than him lol. Keep up the good work,the basics are pretty straight forward, but the possibilities are unlimited, Cheers~ John

Beesncheese
31st January 2014, 08:29 PM
Thank you I will be definitely getting some Glow now.