PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom Ventilation

Hootsmon
7th May 2005, 12:42 PM
Hi All,
Our bathroom has no extractor fan, a situation I am about to remedy. However the choice of fans is vast. does anyone have experience of the HPM variety sold in bunnies? I'm toying with either a light/fan combo or a ducted unit directly above the shower. Coupla other questions do you have to duct the light units outside or is into the loft space ok. Thats about it really hope you can help

bitingmidge
7th May 2005, 02:37 PM
Can't help you with the HPM, but it's a reliable brand and there's no logical reason why it won't be any good.

About 99% of bathroom fans just go up into the ceilings.

I've seen two houses where the humidity in the roofs was such that rot was a problem from the constant venting of bathroom "steam". Some serious ventilation in the roof space will fix that, but will play hell with your insulation if it's under the roof sheeting, in which case - duct it.

Cheers,

P

Pulse
7th May 2005, 02:51 PM
I've installed 2 HPM instant heat 2s and they work well. The bonus is the HPM excel switch plate, much better than the others available. Just be careful placing it directly above the shower. This area up to a height of 2.5m is known as Zone 1 in the wiring rules. You can only put IPX4 rated luminaires in this location. Zone 2 is outside the actual enclosure up to 2.25 metres in height, here you can use double insulated or low voltage lights/fans like tastics.

I think the HPM website also has combined low voltage ducted fans with a central halogen designed for use in zone 1.

Cheers
Pulse

Hootsmon
7th May 2005, 04:07 PM
The HPM have a remote fan unit with 5 meters of duct which they claim you can fit directly above the shower with a drop off to the fan unit then another to the eaves outlet. I thought this looked the bizzo, cause you can then have a double switch one for fan one for lights. I don't need heat cause I'm from scotland and the weather even here in melbourne is rather balmy for me!