PDA

View Full Version : Sketchup 2013

jamarpa
24th May 2013, 05:53 PM
Has been released.Official SketchUp Blog (http://sketchupdate.blogspot.com.au/)

snowyskiesau
24th May 2013, 06:14 PM
I notice the none pro version is now called SketchUp Make and that to download it, it requires and email address. I don't recall being asked for that previously.

EDIT: the email address is necessary for the now required license key which is emailed to you. Still waiting after 10 minutes...

EDIT: Seems the licence key is only needed if you purchase SkecthUp Pro. What you download appears to be SketchUp Pro and it works as such for 8 hours after which it reverts to the standard SketchUp unless you enter a purchased key. At least that's my reading of it from the SketchUp forums. The license conditions are as clear as mud!

GraemeCook
30th September 2013, 01:37 AM
Geoff is spot on, I think.

Sketchup 2013 downloaded as a totally new program, and left Sketchup 8 fully intact on the machine, rather than simply updating it. Guess I will have to remove it manually.

So far I have noticed few major changes :

Fiddled with the icons in the tool bar,
Rubber icon is now next to pencil icon, convenient for us dumdums,
that annoying woman who must be deleted before drawing, has been replaced by a PIA bloke,
Sketchup 2013 reads/converts Sketchup 8 files, but not the reverse.

No doubt I will find new and magical features with time..........

Fair Winds

Graeme

DWR
17th October 2013, 04:38 AM
Sketchup 2013 downloaded as a totally new program, and left Sketchup 8 fully intact on the machine, rather than simply updating it. Guess I will have to remove it manually.

You could just leave SU8 on your machine. Both versions can be used independently of each other.

So far I have noticed few major changes :

Fiddled with the icons in the tool bar,

You can customise the toolbars for the native tools and arrange them as you wish or leave out tools if you don't use them anyway.

that annoying woman who must be deleted before drawing, has been replaced by a PIA bloke,

Create your own default template that doesn't include the "PIA bloke" and he won't bother you ever again. :D

Sketchup 2013 reads/converts Sketchup 8 files, but not the reverse.

Actually, it does, too. Use File>Save as... and choose the SketchUp version you want all the way back to V3.

GraemeCook
18th October 2013, 09:56 AM
Actually, it does, too. Use File>Save as... and choose the SketchUp version you want all the way back to V3.

Ugh! Sketchup 8 will not read Sketchup 2013 files.

DWR
18th October 2013, 10:13 AM
And SketchUp 7 won't open SketchUp 8 files, SketchUp 6 won't open SketchUp 7 files..... :roll: Many other programs are the same way.

As I said, in SketchUp 2013 you can save a file as a SketchUp 8 file and open it in SU8. It's pretty basic. And all SketchUp versions have had the ability to make backward compatible files.

snowyskiesau
18th October 2013, 12:54 PM
One annoying thing about Sketchup 2013 is that if you click on a Sketchup file in explorer, it pop up a box that you have to click to actually enter Sketchup

Any way around this short of buying a license?

DWR
18th October 2013, 08:00 PM
I believe the free version of SketchUp 8 did that, too. No. there's no way around it short of buying the pro version. I guess it's a small price to pay to have the free version, though.

GraemeCook
20th October 2013, 01:40 PM
I believe the free version of SketchUp 8 did that, too. No. there's no way around it short of buying the pro version. I guess it's a small price to pay to have the free version, though.

Not quite true. Sketchup8 had a "do not show this screen again" tick option. Cannot find a comparable feature on SketchUp 2013.

DWR
20th October 2013, 01:43 PM
In any case you have a few options: Buy the pro version and you can turn off the splash screen, go back to SU8 or accept the splash screen as a trade off for using the free version.