PDA

View Full Version : Wee chuck for my new Record??

Mikko
7th May 2005, 11:14 PM
Hi guys,

Just managed to buy a Record 300 mini lathe secondhand!!!!:D
Have been looking for one for quite a while.
Now I would need to find a small chuck for it.
Record is naturally an option, but I like shopping around.
What do you guys think? Do you have some interesting chucks down there??
If so...how much they go for?

This will not be my main lathe......
I also scored a Wadkin BZL a month back!!!
This is being refitted as we speak. New shaft, foot pedal, reverse for outboard turning....sweet.

I choose Versachuck from Toolpost for it.
This chuck would be way too large for Record 300.

As usual, your help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Mikko

powderpost
7th May 2005, 11:21 PM
G'day... Have a look at the Teknatool web site. They manufacture a small chuck in New Zealand. Vicmarc also manufacture chucks. Have a look at both web sites, you might find something to suit your needs.
Jim.

rsser
8th May 2005, 07:16 AM
Try the forum search function Mikko. Make sure you've got a full thermos of coffee and half a day to spare.

ps: the Record chucks look like rebadged Vicmarcs to me.

smidsy
8th May 2005, 02:19 PM
Hei Mikko,
If you ask ten guys which is the best chuck you will get ten different answers.
The best thing to do is use this forum to filter out the duds and make up your own mind based on what you want to spend and range of accessories.

I personally use Vicmarc http://www.vicmarc.com/ and think they are the best - and if you have a chat to them I'm sure they would be willing to freight you one if there isn't a supplier in your part of the world.
Cheers
Paul

Mikko
8th May 2005, 05:14 PM
Guys,

Yes.....I did the seach.
As I'm looking for very compact chuck, there has been relatively little on this subject here. Chucks in general...heaps.....mini chucks....not all that much.

Vicmarc VM90 seems like a potential candidate. However prices for Vicmarc products are pretty steep here in Europe. How much they go for in OZ???

I have also considered english Multistar Micro chuck. Any happy or not so happy users of their chucks??

Thanks,
Mikko

smidsy
8th May 2005, 05:56 PM
Hei Mikko,
Check out www.carbatec.com.au for an idea of Aussie prices.

If you're going to get a Vicmarc you should look at the VM100 which is a T-bar handle style chuck and so much easier to operate than the twin tommy bar style VM90 - weight wise, the 100 is only 400 grams heavier than the 90.

I did a rough conversion and you are looking at about 135 Euro or 1035 Norwegian Kroner for the VM100.

Cheers
Paul

Mikko
8th May 2005, 06:42 PM
Yep....T-bar sure makes life easier, but all the models with it are pretty huge for the wee Record 300.
Price is quite OK.

My main chuck will be with T-bar...naturally.

I'm leaning more and more towards the Multistar though.
Very light in weight and in same price category.

I think that I'll pick up one of the heavier Vicmarc's for my Wadking when I'm down in OZ.

Cheers,
Mikko

JackoH
9th May 2005, 10:45 AM
I have a Multistar mini. I use it on a Carba-tec mini lathe. It is a great little chuck for small stuff - lace bobbins, and the like, and very well engineered. However I have three sets of jaws for it and it is a real pain in the butt changing them over as this involves holding everything together with an elastic band a bit like the Record system. Having fairly fat fingers and some arthritis, I tend to leave the large set of jaws in and do most things quite successfully.
I would still reccomend it as a great little piece of equipment.

Mikko
14th May 2005, 06:06 AM
Just got the Versachuck form Toolpost in UK.
What can I say....never felt this shafted in my whole life.

Absolute chunk of Sh&te.

Will get a Vicmark as a replacement.

All you EU based folks beware of this chuck!!! Sounds a tad too good to be true.....and it is.

I'll have another porter for this........

Mikko :-[

smidsy
14th May 2005, 01:32 PM
Mikko,
I promise you mate, you will not be disappointed with the Vicmark chuck - if mine could do the dishes I'd marry it.
While you're at it lay out about 59 Euros on the bowl jaws, these allow you to mount the bowl by the rim so you can turn the base of the bowl - this is magic for getting rid of the chuck recess on the bottom.

You said you were coming to Australia sometime? If you're coming to Perth pm me if you fancy a visit to one of our turning clubs. You can have a play yourself and see what we're up to.

Cheers
Paul

rsser
14th May 2005, 01:45 PM
I've been a fan of Vicmarc chucks and got good use out of them. Have to say tho I'm swinging towards Nova since you can use the jaws across the Nova, Supernova, Titan chucks (and maybe the compac, not sure).

I recently acquired the Titan and Supergrip and 75mm jaws.

Now if only it tightened in the same direction as the Vicmarc I wouldn't have to retrain!

macca2
14th May 2005, 04:31 PM
I just bought the new Nova midi and it says it will take al the Nava jaws. Mine came with the 500mm but I have fitted it with 25mm pin jaws. A very handy chuck.

Macca

rsser
14th May 2005, 04:51 PM
You bet.

Quality is good; customer service over the web is excellent.

Mikko
14th May 2005, 05:00 PM
I think I'll buy Vicmarc. I have used them in the workshops and they work very smoothly.
Smidsy, you are refering to Cole jaws...right?
Yes, I'll get them and will make similar system but larger myself.

It's a terrible thing when something you have been anxiously looking forward to turns out to be a total flop.

The idea of Versachuck is good. It comes with three sets of "mounting bits". One set for Axminster, one for Oneway and one for Nova jaws.
However, the product itself is far from being ready. Also, the machining is of very poor quality and the jaws that actually agree to move do so in very unsmooth way.

What is the heaviest of Vicmarc chucks?
I'm having this for my Wadkin, so it can and should be pretty solid.

Thanks,
Mikko

Mikko
14th May 2005, 11:07 PM
Some progress with the Versachuck. Please watch this space.
I managed to get one set of jaws installed and now try to get the other two working.

Clearly some "breaking in" is required.
Is this common with other chucks?
I have never heard of such needs.

Cheers,
Mikko

smidsy
14th May 2005, 11:13 PM
Mikko,
I have two chucks - a Vicmarc and a cheap chinese chuck which is now only good for small work due to poor metalurgy.

Both performed fine straight out the box.
Cheers
Paul

rsser
14th May 2005, 11:15 PM
Think I've now given up wacthing your space Mikko.

(Wee chuck is the word.)

Mikko
15th May 2005, 12:00 AM
Still decided to post that thought Ern????

Right.....it's just that I have never seen a chuck that would need to some physical violence to get it working.
Now after scrolling the Versachuck open and shut some 200 times, the action starts to resemble what I would imagine to be normal.

Naturally this is due to original machining being pretty unfinished.

I'll live with this one for a while and see how it takes use. The start was far from being good.

That's it Ern.....will not bother you again.

M

EDIT: Final note before I jet.....
The Versachuck is now pretty much working and after talking to Peter from Toolpost, the reasons behind this chucks excessive tightness came clear to me. This chuck indeed needs to be broken in. It is still very tight, but operational. Future will show how it will perform. Big thanks to Peter of Toolpost for his professional attitude and patience.
I'm still not 100% convinced that this chuck is the best option for me, but time will tell. It should most certainly be one of the most wear resistant chucks about...hence the tightness in begining (hard jaws to combat wear).
:EDIT

Terry Porter
17th May 2005, 01:27 AM
Hi Mikko,

Help from the original home of Record - England.

If your Record Lathe has a 3/4in x 16tpi thread, then try the Record RP4000 Geared Scroll Chuck. It is apparently made for them by a very well known Australian maker of chucks and fine metallic blue lathes, and interestingly looks and works just like a Vicmarc, but is cheaper. It's only available in this mode with the 3/4in x 16 thread though.

Happy turning

Terry