PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at a Vase

RhysM
26th May 2013, 12:43 PM
Hi guys, I picked up a nice piece of bunya pine approx 100 x 100 x 300mm long. I'm thinking of attempting a pair of matching vases approx 150 high. I was wondering what the easiest way to hollow it out would be. Would it be advantages to drill out the center to give a nice starting point for the turning?

Thanks
Rhys

DaveTTC
26th May 2013, 06:26 PM
That makes sense to me. I was advised to use a forstner bit

Others with more experience might chime in.

wheelinround
26th May 2013, 07:05 PM
Hope your using a steady rest (http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21843) with that length it will stabalize it heaps.

Drilling works for me then work from the mouth inwards.

Hope you have long tools and good support for deep hollowing to much overhang and you'll have problems.

dai sensei
26th May 2013, 08:54 PM
Hope your using a steady rest (http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21843) with that length it will stabalize it heaps.

Drilling works for me then work from the mouth inwards.

Hope you have long tools and good support for deep hollowing to much overhang and you'll have problems.

They are only 150 long :rolleyes:

RhysM
26th May 2013, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. The long tools I have, a steady rest I dont. Had not heard of one before but it seems like a great Idea. My plan was to glue it to a sacrificial piece of cheap pine and hold the in my four jaw clamp. Looks like I may have to add one to my ever growing list of things to buy. :)

Thanks Rhys

Rod Gilbert
26th May 2013, 09:04 PM
At 150mm long you will never need a steady rest, even on long turning I have never used one. I have a tough steady that came with the lathe and have never used it. I turn table legs and bed posts at 1.8m long and have never seen the need for one, it seams to me they are one of the things you have and never use.
Regards Rod.

wheelinround
26th May 2013, 09:15 PM
Rhys sorry :doh: I read the 100x100x300 not the 150 high you won't need a steady at all.

When you do need one make it as commercially they never suit what your doing. Start watching for kids old inline skates for the wheels.:2tsup:

RhysM
26th May 2013, 09:21 PM
Rhys sorry :doh: I read the 100x100x300 not the 150 high you won't need a steady at all.

When you do need one make it as commercially they never suit what your doing. Start watching for kids old inline skates for the wheels.:2tsup:

I was thinking of making my own. Just did a quick google search and it seems simple enough to do. Initialy i was thinking skateboard wheels, but inline wheels does sound better.

wheelinround
26th May 2013, 09:35 PM
I was thinking of making my own. Just did a quick google search and it seems simple enough to do. Initialy i was thinking skateboard wheels, but inline wheels does sound better.

Skate board wheels are to wide they can be shaped just by turning to shape required.

I picked a set of inline skates at a 2nd hand stall $10 BigW have new ones but they have jumped in price from $10 a pack to $30+:o

DaveTTC
26th May 2013, 09:51 PM

Remember - when you do make one ..... We want a build thread ;)