PDA

View Full Version : Kids and Woodturning

wheelinround
27th May 2013, 06:34 PM
There's been much debate about it on here I found this quite amazing young fellow and his video's last night amazing to watch.

ThisWoodwork - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/TeenWoodworker?feature=watch)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c7tQlzuUqo

bassmansimon
27th May 2013, 06:53 PM
I watched this video (on mute), but I really liked it. What would the debate be over? Young people and woodworking / safety? Or was it a particular method that this guy used?

He did his basically the same way as how I turned my (only) square bowl, although it was a single piece of Huon rather than a laminated piece

wheelinround
27th May 2013, 07:02 PM
I watched this video (on mute), but I really liked it. What would the debate be over? Young people and woodworking / safety? Or was it a particular method that this guy used?

He did his basically the same way as how I turned my (only) square bowl, although it was a single piece of Huon rather than a laminated piece

No other threads have been started regarding kids of younger ages mainly to do with safety etc.
Here in schools kids aren't/were not allowed near tools till age 16 minimum. Of course the discussion of how young should kids be allowed in your own home etc.
I have two grandsons 6 yrs and 5 yrs both are already learning from their dads about workshop safety and tools and using them.:D

No debate on this kid as yet. I have some points but have not gone over all his videos and there are some not just on woodturning he's well into wood engineering thats for sure.

bassmansimon
27th May 2013, 09:55 PM
Sounds good. I am all for young people getting into woodwork. I learned from my father growing up. He was never into wood for the art - but more of a general handy person always fixing things on the weekend. From when I was a kid I learned how to use basic hand tools from him and then was always well supervised with machinery. I recently picked up the hobby again about 4 years ago and didn't realise how much I had learned from him as a kid.

i know adults now who work using machinery incorrectly and unsafely, and it scares me with some of the stuff I see. Teach the basics young about tools and more iimportantly, safety, and then you can take those lessons for life.

chuck1
1st June 2013, 10:13 AM
I was 19 when I had my first go on a lathe with my grand father! still have the little sherline! everything he showed me was disregarded when I went to Tafe for trade woodturning! it's was fun in his shed making egg cups!

chuck1
2nd June 2013, 10:13 PM
I was 19 when I had my first go on a lathe with my grand father! still have the little sherline! everything he showed me was disregarded when I went to Tafe for trade woodturning! it's was fun in his shed making egg cups!

that should of been 10 not 19! big fingers strikes again

Alaks McGREGORE
6th June 2013, 10:18 AM
Wow, I am 13 and love woodworking I just didn't know that there where other people my age that do it and dentally didn't know that they would have such bad hair styles.