PDA

View Full Version : Camphor Bowl

Beedeejay
28th May 2013, 06:15 PM
Hi All,
Been a while since I posted a picture on here, but here goes,
Camphor bowl I turned a little while ago, maybe 2-3 months, it was green enough that it probably had leaves the day or 2 before I turned it,
Sanded to about 600 I think and a bit of a beeswax/ grape-seed oil mix burnished in,
Is about 180mm diameter and about 70mm high

thanks for looking

Cheers Ben

spankingpigeon
28th May 2013, 11:17 PM
love the grain in camphor and i like the shape:2tsup:
Where does every one get camphor i cant seem to find any in adelaide?

Beedeejay
28th May 2013, 11:56 PM
love the grain in camphor and i like the shape:2tsup:
Where does every one get camphor i cant seem to find any in adelaide?

Thanks SP
I never used to be a fan of camphor but it has started growing on me,
i get it from the local Wood turners club, and I believe they get it from all around the area whenever we have a storm:D,

I have a few more pics to upload in the next few days, some with some awesome grain

Cheers Ben

Rod Gilbert
29th May 2013, 07:55 AM
The Gold coast club used to also get a lot of Camphor from working bee with local land care group clearing creek banks and rural area nearby. Every creek in northern NSW and QLD border area is lined with it and a lot of work has gone into removing it. But this is a bonus for wood worker's as it is good to work, it comes of the chisel very well when turning and planes easily to a good finish. The Gold coast club also used to do a swap with a north Qld club many years ago with a pallet of camphor for a pallet of their local northern hardwood's, I think a lot of club's should adopt this means of inter club contact to expand their member's access to a wider range of timber's.
Regards Rod.

dai sensei
29th May 2013, 03:09 PM
..The Gold coast club also used to do a swap with a north Qld club many years ago with a pallet of camphor for a pallet of their local northern hardwood's...

The club still gets heaps, just did another swap with down south, this time camphor for burls (red/brown mallee, coolabah etc) :cool::2tsup:

Beedeejay
29th May 2013, 11:42 PM
The club still gets heaps, just did another swap with down south, this time camphor for burls (red/brown mallee, coolabah etc) :cool::2tsup:

Some of which I am taking a very close interest in:D:D:D