PDA

View Full Version : The vase

powderpost
28th May 2013, 08:36 PM
Earlier this year I acquired a ute load of timber, mostly white beech. There were a few odd pieces in the pile. One was a piece of camphor laurel 250mm x 50mm x 600mm long. It didn't seem to have too much colour and was headed for the fire. It had a few deep cracks that made it useless for a bowl or platter. I ran it through the planner and bingo. Then I remembered that Tea Lady once made a comment, "I wonder if he will cut up a board and glue it back together. Well here is the answer to that.
The vase measures 150mm high and 160mm diameter. Wall thickness is 6mm, finished with sanding sealer and three thin coats of Mirotone 60%, then the gloss removed with 0000 steel wool.
C and C welcome...
Jim

smiife
28th May 2013, 08:49 PM
hi jim,
looks very nice ,i wish i had the time and patience
to make something like that,well done:2tsup:
cheers smiife:2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
28th May 2013, 09:54 PM
Nice work there Jim

And you are to be commended for setting Tea Lady's mind at rest

but I reckon the second segment on the third (or fourth) ring is upside down or is it the third segment on the second or fourth ring or is it ... :q

orificiam
28th May 2013, 10:31 PM
Well Done Jim, I see you took the easy way out this Time:roll::roll:, Joke's aside beautiful work mate, Congrats,

Cheers Tony.:)

powderpost
28th May 2013, 11:03 PM
but I reckon the second segment on the third (or fourth) ring is upside down or is it the third segment on the second or fourth ring or is it ... :q

Do you have a cataract problem???? :q :D
Jim

Sawdust Maker
29th May 2013, 02:11 PM
Do you have a cataract problem???? :q :D
Jim

Nah, just crosseyed :p

ian thorn
29th May 2013, 03:00 PM
Nice piece well put together turned and finished :2tsup:

Ian

powderpost
29th May 2013, 08:25 PM
Thanks Ian.

Jim

coffenup
29th May 2013, 08:50 PM
well done jim
another nice looking vase
Regards Michael

Nanigai
29th May 2013, 09:19 PM
Love your work Jim, it's always a pleasure to see your accomplishments even though I've never really been a fan of segmented work.
This piece is really different, and an awesome result.:2tsup::2tsup:
Cheers, Ian

hughie
29th May 2013, 10:27 PM
Jim,Good see your branching out, hollow vessels next ? :U I see its up to your usual standard of fine glues lines, good shape and form, gets my vote :2tsup:

powderpost
29th May 2013, 10:45 PM
Thanks Michael and Ian, your comments are valued.
Jim

powderpost
29th May 2013, 10:49 PM
Jim,Good see your branching out, hollow vessels next ? :U

Thanks Hughie. Naaah, been there, done that. Have had difficulty turning bowls and platters from a single piece of wood for a while now. :;
Jim