PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding brick fence (stupid wing mirror...)

Rusty
9th May 2005, 10:38 AM
Good morning, all.
I live in a rental property of 1950's vintage, and the front fence is the same orangey brick as the house. However the bricks from the post bit at the driveway are now on the ground, due to two separete incidents of crap driving.

The second knock pretty much took out a three or four foot section, which consists mostly of a few loose bricks and a couple of large lumps.

My question is: when rebuilding it (I want to keep the landlord out of this, he's a crappier repair man than me) can I plonk the large sections back into place, or do I have to knock it all apart and rebuild from scratch?

I searched the forums and mostly came back with posts by or about Ozwinner. I'm sure I can find general bricklaying information elsewhere, (and I'll need to 'cos I don't have a clue) but I'd appreciate some advice on dealing with these lumpy bits on the lawn.

Thanks,
Rus.

ozwinner
9th May 2005, 10:45 AM
Hi

I can see no problem with just resetting the large lump back up.
Just make sure you clean off all the old mortar from both sides of the pier, or its not going back no matter what you try.

Al :)

Rusty
9th May 2005, 10:53 AM
Cheers, Al, that's what I wanted to know. If there's any other hints or tips I'll take 'em; otherwise I 'spose I'll drag myself off this chair and get into it.

Oh, yeah, how do you keep kids out of the mortar? I'm house Dad today.

Regards,
Rusty.

echnidna
9th May 2005, 11:11 AM
Give them their own heap of mud (without cement) to play in.