PDA

View Full Version : Shade Sail anchor to wall

plucka
9th May 2005, 11:58 AM
What's the best way to connect a shade sail anchor point to a rendered brick wall (single brick over timber frame)- Using some kind of plate dynabolted to the brick or perhaps drill right through the brick into the frame and screw in a long eye bolt into the frame? Also attaching the other points to the aluminium facia I assume you need to bolt onto the underlying frame- do you need to remove to entire facia to do this or can you just cut through it and somehow attach a bracket underneath?

Cheers
Paul.

Pulse
9th May 2005, 10:51 PM
I think there was a thread on this subject a few months ago. It depends on the size and possible wind loads on the shade sail but bigger is better. It would be better to fix to the actual frame rather than the brick veneer. I would use a 12mm eye bolt. For the fascia, look at the builders brackets in Bunnies, attach one to the back of the fascia and the side of the roof frame. Pass the threaded fixing through this hole. If you can use shakeproof washers because cyclical loading may cause it to come loose (same reason Dynabolts may not be so good)

I'm sure there are many different options but you won't regret doing a good job.

Cheers
Pulse

jaws
10th May 2005, 07:52 AM
As a general rule don't fix any thing that requires the brick wall to restrain it, veneer brick walls are a facade they aren't designed to hold unbraced structures. You have to fix to the timber frame as the shade screen will have a lot of tension on it.

Cheers,
John

plucka
10th May 2005, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the advice. One question though, How do I know where to drill through the bricks to find the frame underneath?

Jon
10th May 2005, 02:10 PM
Plucka,
if you have a tile roof you can lift a tile and have a look down the cavity or even pick the studs by looking at the nail holes in the top plate.
Jon