PDA

View Full Version : WASP sander

Tiger
9th May 2005, 02:51 PM
Hi all,

I saw the WASP sander on display at the woodworking show. I haven't seen any plans on how to make it or something similar so I am considering buying one. For those that have bought one, do you use it much and was it worth buying?

Optimark
18th May 2005, 01:05 PM
I bought the WASP at last years October WWS in Melbourne. For me it was the right thing for what I do. If you are able to utilise it fully then I think you'll find it value for money.

I was concerned at first of being able to fit it onto my little Ryobi bench drill, but by removing two of the three handles one uses for dropping the bit up and down, I find it quite alright.

I eventually made up a small dust extraction system that I run off the Triton dust extractor. This has proved to be a major improvement over just sticking a hose in the vicinity.

The missus has the camera with her, when she comes back next week I'll post a couple of pictures of exactly what I have done.

Since purchasing this unit I have noted other systems but overall I am extremely happy with this set-up.

It's a breeze to quickly change paper grades and various types and grades of paper are available everywhere. The bonus of the flat metal insert, that gives one a linisher type of sanding surface, is icing on the cake.

Mick.

Gumby
18th May 2005, 02:11 PM
I've had a play with the one DPB owns and it's on my list of things to buy at this years show. I don't know if they are available in stores or not - haven't seen one anywhere but I can tell you it is a great addition to the workshop, particularly fine sanding small pieces and curved surfaces.

Stuart
18th May 2005, 05:21 PM
Hi all,

I saw the WASP sander on display at the woodworking show. I haven't seen any plans on how to make it or something similar so I am considering buying one. For those that have bought one, do you use it much and was it worth buying?
yes & yes

Tiger
18th May 2005, 06:38 PM
Thanks, guys my made is made up and Mick I would be very interested in your dust control set up as I can imagine it would produce a fair amount of dust. Look forward to the pictures.:)

Ecc
21st May 2005, 08:50 AM
I'm thinking of selling mine as I don't use it. If you're interested contact me.

graemet
22nd May 2005, 10:11 AM
do you use it much and was it worth buying? Yes and yes. http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif
Cheers,
Graeme

Optimark
24th May 2005, 11:20 PM
Well the missus is back from Germany and I have taken a few of shots of the little dust collector which attaches directly to a Triton DC bucket.

Mick.