PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Railway Sleepers

platboy
1st June 2013, 06:43 PM
Hi All

been a while since I posted, not sure why I only have one post though?, Anyhow, I have picked up 50 or so railway sleepers (the old ones),
and plan on getting the sliced to make into stair treads. I will need @ a dozen cuts. Could anyone please point me in the direction of somewhere to do this in northern Sydney? My local timberyard's saw is too small. Also any idea on what I can expect to pay for this? Many thanks

Cheers
JAmes,

Bushmiller
5th June 2013, 07:35 PM
James

You may have a hard time finding somebody to do this as railway sleepers are extremely hard on any type of saw because of all the grit that becomes embedded in them. If somebody does take it on, it will probably be with the proviso that damage to blades is reimbursed.

I have to say that after a bad experience cutting sleepers I refused to cut them, but I have heard of others who are willing to do it.

Regards
Paul

John.G
6th June 2013, 08:33 AM
Can I ask why you'd want to cut old sleepers?
The only thing about old railway sleepers is that they're old. Other then that they're just one of the royal species hardwoods, available everywhere from your local timber stockist/ sawmill including KD and DAR if you need it in standard dimensions. And by the time you pay for a few sawblades to be repaired cheaper that way then resawing an old one. Cheaper to buy a new railway sleeper and resaw it come to that.
I mean... I get the recycle/treecycle thing... including the attraction of the marketing story attached to old timber thats been resawn. But unless you need it in large cross sections that take years to season I don't see any advantage. If you want the weather beaten look... start with a new piece of timber and apply a very coarse grit through a sandblaster, then fume with aqua ammonia for the grey colour.:D

DJ’s Timber
6th June 2013, 08:45 AM
Shame you're not down here, I only just the other week picked up 2 ton of redgum sleepers from a client to the sawmill, who then re sawed them and then I dropped them back.

Sigidi
6th June 2013, 06:14 PM
I've done them before and would do them again, but as mentioned blade damage is a large factor as well as the manual handling of the sleepers.

With all this in mind railway sleepers are 200mm wide and as such wont be big enough for step treads at 250mm - hate to throw a spanner in the works

corbs
6th June 2013, 09:22 PM
If they were sleepers actually used in a train line I'd also want to know where in the line they came from. If the are from 1km either side of a station or near a section which requires the train to slow you will probably find they are full of asbestos fibres from the old brakes.

Bushmiller
6th June 2013, 09:26 PM
If they were sleepers actually used in a train line I'd also want to know where in the line they came from. If the are from 1km either side of a station or near a section which requires the train to slow you will probably find they are full of asbestos fibres from the old brakes.

Ooooooh! I'd never thought about that one :( .

Regards
Paul

BobL
7th June 2013, 12:55 AM
If they are really old they also may even have traces of human excrement and lime. I believe they exude an "interesting smell" when milled.

johnnyroberts
8th June 2013, 10:03 AM
Nothing a pressure cleaner couldn't fix I'm sure. I would have no problems cutting sleepers, I think you would get some great colour, hope you find someone up that way, you may have to go a bit further out of town I recon.
Cheers John

Krunchie
8th June 2013, 07:43 PM
I've cut a few old sleepers in my time and what I have found is that they twist and cup like new timber. I then started to rack them like new timber and sure enough after six to telve months thay are as straight as the day I cut them and stable.

crowie
8th June 2013, 09:12 PM
I suppose if things don't work out with the sleepers,
you could get some recycled old telegraph poles from Timber Recyclers at Warragamba who do some very nice, very hard, very old beautiful timber....just a thought...

Chris Parks
9th June 2013, 12:03 AM
As an aside and a bit of interest, how many sleepers do you want? they are most probably still there feeding termites.

Pulling up Central Australia Railway Bopeechee 1983 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l9sYz5EVGI)

platboy
18th June 2013, 10:23 PM
Hey guys

thanks for the suggestions and advice, I do appreciate it. The reason for old sleepers is I like the look of the old spike holes and some rot that can add character to the timber that 'aging' cannot do - (but thanks for the tip!) The reason I am having them cut is to get them to 50mm x 175mm slabs for stair treads, that I will double to a total of 350mm wide, so they make nice seats as well, next to my my wood fired pizza oven I am building. The wood is currently at the shop, I will post pics as soon a s I get the slabs home! Cheers, James.

platboy
18th June 2013, 10:35 PM
As an aside and a bit of interest, how many sleepers do you want? they are most probably still there feeding termites.

Pulling up Central Australia Railway Bopeechee 1983 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l9sYz5EVGI)

Awesome footage thanks, don't get your fingers too close! Amazing how much such tough steel will bend...

platboy
21st June 2013, 08:48 PM
Hey all - got the cut sleepers back today, look very nice...

will post finished pics of the stairs when they are done,
cheers
JAmes.

crowie
21st June 2013, 09:20 PM
Hey all - got the cut sleepers back today, look very nice...

will post finished pics of the stairs when they are done,
cheers
JAmes.
Very nice indeed James - Well done on following it all through...
Looking forward to seeing the stairs..
cheers, crowie

Bushmiller
21st June 2013, 09:59 PM
James

I have to say I was sceptical when you first posted the idea, but they have come up well. Sometimes it pays to press on regardless :D.

Like Crowie, I will look forward to seeing the finished article.

Regards
Paul

Groundhangers
22nd June 2013, 08:41 PM
Sorry to butt in James but who ended up cutting them for you? I done some the hard way years ago and swore id do some more when the time was right. Look awesome when their resawn.

Greg

CMB
22nd June 2013, 08:54 PM
Just found this beast on Gumtree. "Railway sleeper saw."

Craig.

platboy
22nd June 2013, 08:59 PM
Sorry to butt in James but who ended up cutting them for you? I done some the hard way years ago and swore id do some more when the time was right. Look awesome when their resawn.

Greg

No problem Greg, the guys at Time4Timber in Brookvale did it for me. I was very happy with them, they agreed to do it no problem, rang me when they thought it would take longer than they thought, and then were honest enough to tell me it actually didn't take as long as they thought, and it cost less than my initial budget. Was nice to deal with people that care more about the product than making a buck. They still made a few bucks though!273728273727273726

crowie
22nd June 2013, 09:16 PM
That looks great James....
Good to hear there are still some good timber people over that way....
What timber are the stringers?
What finish do you plan for the new treads?
Cheers, crowie

platboy
22nd June 2013, 10:33 PM
That looks great James....
Good to hear there are still some good timber people over that way....
What timber are the stringers?
What finish do you plan for the new treads?
Cheers, crowie

Thanks Crowie, stringers are treated pine 290x50. I will be giving them steps a good sand, rounding the edges etc (2 year-olds and big splinters don't play well!) then I was just going to oil them with Feast & Watson natural oil (the real oil). Any alternative finish suggestions are very welcome. Cheers, James.

CMB
23rd June 2013, 06:51 AM
Thanks Crowie, stringers are treated pine 290x50.

Is the stair going between walls? How many rises?

You can expect some flex/bounce in the stringers if your looking at more than say 6 or 7 rises (much more bounce if we're talking a floor to floor internal stair), even at your nom dims for the stringers and particularly due to them being t/pine. A newel post mid flight down the floor/ground would help combat this.

Did most of my apprenticeship in stairbuilding and done heaps since, so if I can offer any advice just ask.

Craig.

platboy
23rd June 2013, 03:24 PM
Is the stair going between walls? How many rises?

You can expect some flex/bounce in the stringers if your looking at more than say 6 or 7 rises (much more bounce if we're talking a floor to floor internal stair), even at your nom dims for the stringers and particularly due to them being t/pine. A newel post mid flight down the floor/ground would help combat this.

Did most of my apprenticeship in stairbuilding and done heaps since, so if I can offer any advice just ask.

Craig.

Thanks for the info Craig. Five stringers with six risers, as per the pic (the very bottom step will under the future deck). This wasn't quite finished, as I have added a 90x90 vertical post under each stringer @ the third riser down for additional support. I have put the steps on them and jumped and there is no movement, so they should be okay.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1493/6lp6.jpg

Cheers
James.

CMB
23rd June 2013, 03:29 PM
Good stuff! Sorry for not realising you had the treads on the stringers in the earlier pics.

You putting grip strips on to stop it turning into a slide?

Craig.

platboy
24th June 2013, 08:18 PM
Good stuff! Sorry for not realising you had the treads on the stringers in the earlier pics.

You putting grip strips on to stop it turning into a slide?

Craig.

No problem, my pics were a bit backwards. I hadn't thought of grip strips, I hope I don't have to though. The stairs although milled, aren't what I call super smooth, so should retain enough grip hopefully! Cheers, James.

platboy
26th June 2013, 07:12 PM
Hi again

I have finished the stairs, with the exception of sanding and oiling, but the looming crappy weather is causing a few delays. I am very happy with how they have come up, so I am glad I persevered.

Cheers
James.

Bushmiller
26th June 2013, 07:42 PM
James

A really good job. I like the recycled/rustic look.

Regards
Paul

Christos
26th June 2013, 08:47 PM
They have come up very well. Would be interesting to see how the finished deck blends in. But I suspect that could be a little while. :)

crowie
26th June 2013, 09:10 PM
Very impressive indeed James,
You have done a beaut job of it.
If I may recommend "recycled timbers" at Warragamba who re-saw old telegraph poles as a possible source for the decking; they have a huge range of colour in some very old timber to choice from.
Here is there website; Ian & Rob are top blokes; good luck. Cheers, crowie
Recycled Timber Supplies Sydney, Recycled Timber Beams, Timber Supplies (http://www.recycledtimbers.com.au/)

platboy
26th June 2013, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it. Crowie - I will certainly check them out thanks, and Christos - you never know, I am motivated now!

Cheers
James.

Groundhangers
27th June 2013, 05:11 PM
Awesome looking James.
Feast & Watson Natural Oil is about as good as it gets, dont even bother with anything else as it wont be as good.

Greg