PDA

View Full Version : My mini lathe and my DML 24X.

Alaks McGREGORE
2nd June 2013, 11:35 AM
Hi, I am going to tell you about my lathes, well, Dad's lathes.

I will first talk about the smaller of the two lathes I use, it has a 24 volt, 200w, 2750 RPM DC motor that drives a belt from a sewing machine to a home made brass pulley that is attached to a half inch drive shaft which is part of the collet chuck that will give you almost 100% accuracy when doing anything, your able to take your work off and put it back on later and still have that nice stable work piece but a collet chuck doesn't allow you to chuck big things unless you turn the end down, overall this is an awesome lathe and because it is a DC motor and the lathe is light with just 20mm bright bar bed bars and a small design means you can take it camping and run it off two 12 volt car batters plus with the use of cam locks for the tool rest and the tail stock it is easy to use although they aren't the easiest to make, I find myself using this lathe for everything I can and I always make my pens on it.
A few pics of the tail stock.270836270845 These are showing you how we have mounted the motor. We do the same thing with the DML 24X.270838270839 Now some pics of the cam lock and the tool rest.270844270843A look at the motor and head stock.270840270842A view from allong the bed bars.270841And an over view.270837270836That's the little lathe.
Next is the Record Power DML 24X that we fitted with a $200 24 volt, 375w, 1750 RPM DC motor so now we have speed control and apart from the tool rest there is no other modifications to it so the rest can be found on the net.

How we have mounted the the motor.270825270823270813270815270826The specs of the motor.270816 Over view. 270835
Now last but not least is how we power all of this, there is a 0-30 volt, 20 amp switch mode DC power supply from dick smith that then goes to a pulse width modulated power supply (PWM) that dad bought as a kit from Jaycar and that uses Anderson plugs to connect with either lathes
270818Anderson plugs.270827switch mode power supply.270819270829 PWM.

wheelinround
2nd June 2013, 11:43 AM
Alaks shame most photos are on their side but thats one heck of a write up and photo show of tools well done.

Paul39
2nd June 2013, 12:22 PM
Alaks,

This free program will let you adjust and resize photos to post or email:

Picasa | DownloadInfo - We Review Software! (http://www.downloadinfo.co/review/picasa/?kw=picasa&subid=DIPIUS&cust=picasa&type=picasa&gclid=CPW7leaaxLcCFVEV7AodZXwA6w&utm_campaign=DIPIUS&fwd=1)

BobL
2nd June 2013, 12:24 PM
Thanks for posting the info but you were right when you said it was a "mumble jumble about the lathes"

It would be much easier to follow if the photos that go with the text were to be kept separated.

ie write a bit about lathe 1
Now insert the photos for lathe one.

Now write about lathe 2
Now insert photos for lathe 2

ETC

Even better would be to put each photo on its own line and underneath write a label or description so we have some idea of what we are looking at. Even if you repeat yourself it's OK as we are (well I am anyway) a bit slow on the pickup.:D

BTW very interesting lathes.
I will be very interested to see what you guys could do with a 3 phase motor and a VSD :)

Alaks McGREGORE
2nd June 2013, 02:37 PM
Thanks for posting the info but you were right when you said it was a "mumble jumble about the lathes"

It would be much easier to follow if the photos that go with the text were to be kept separated.

ie write a bit about lathe 1
Now insert the photos for lathe one.

Now write about lathe 2
Now insert photos for lathe 2

ETC

Even better would be to put each photo on its own line and underneath write a label or description so we have some idea of what we are looking at. Even if you repeat yourself it's OK as we are (well I am anyway) a bit slow on the pickup.:D

BTW very interesting lathes.
I will be very interested to see what you guys could do with a 3 phase motor and a VSD :)

Yeah, we thought about using a 3 phase motor but it has serten problems with it and the DC motor is a lot better for the mini lathe.
And I will edit my post and do some better pics, I didn't think that many ppl would care about a 13 year old going on about his lathes.

artme
2nd June 2013, 02:55 PM
Alaks I struggled through the photos but found the text not too bad. Thank you for posting!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I am interested in your speed control set up. I looked at a Jaycar kit but have had so much negative
feedback from people that I scrapped the idea.

orraloon
2nd June 2013, 06:04 PM
Hi Alaks,
Good to see what people are tinkering with. Going DC as a means of making vairable speed is not something I have seen done before. Good bit of thinking. How lagre HP could you go this way.
My first lathe was a dml 24.One of the old blue model range. A very stedy and smooth running lathe but I got the urge to turn large bowls so out grew it. The bandsaw pics also have me wondering as it looks home made. Is there a story behind that.
regards,
john

Alaks McGREGORE
2nd June 2013, 07:05 PM
All fixed.

Alaks McGREGORE
2nd June 2013, 07:10 PM
Hi Alaks,
Good to see what people are tinkering with. Going DC as a means of making vairable speed is not something I have seen done before. Good bit of thinking. How lagre HP could you go this way.
My first lathe was a dml 24.One of the old blue model range. A very stedy and smooth running lathe but I got the urge to turn large bowls so out grew it. The bandsaw pics also have me wondering as it looks home made. Is there a story behind that.
regards,
john

Yeah, I didn't mean to post that. I will post a new thread for the bandsaw if you like?

RETIRED
2nd June 2013, 07:16 PM
Unfortunately I am still on the road or I would fix it for you Alaks.