PDA

View Full Version : Ummmm

RFNK
7th December 2000, 07:47 PM
Okay, I've just received my new Vicmarc mini-lathe (last one available before the new model comes out next year they tell me). Everything looks just great, very smooth, nicely finished, very solid etc. etc. but ... it runs backwards! Before I ring Vermac tomorrow, does anyone know if you're supposed to twist the belt, change some connections (don't worry I'm not going to try that!) or anything else? Anyone who actually knows?

RETIRED
7th December 2000, 09:34 PM
Gooday.

At a rough guess I would say that the field windings in the motor have been reversed.

It is relatively easy to switch them around but as it is new, let the dealer do it.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

John Saxton
7th December 2000, 10:57 PM
Its either that as suggested Rick,or it has been wired incorrectly giving the wrong polarity/excitation perhaps?
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gifMerry Xmas,good luck in PNG

------------------
Johnno

RFNK
7th December 2000, 11:38 PM
Now, would the famous Vicmarc company really send me a lathe with an incorrectly wired motor? Well, maybe they would but I'll call them tomorrow and see if I can sort it out! I'll keep y'all posted! Cheers to you too Johnno; we're off in mid-January.

Jeff
8th December 2000, 02:14 PM
what an opportunity...in this era of finding your own niche it seems v-marc handed you a plum: you can be the first turner to work either upside down or standing backward!

------------------
"Turning wood into treasures"

RFNK
8th December 2000, 08:58 PM
Here's an answer to my own question ... Yes, Vicmarc would wire it up the wrong way around! That was the problem. They were very apologetic and it was easy to fix. At least now I know what to do if I want to run it in reverse again. Anyway, all's well that ends well. It runs very smoothly and everything seems to line up very well. I must say though, it was a bit disappointing as I bought the Vicmarc because it's Australian made instead of the $150 cheaper Jet replica!

John Saxton
8th December 2000, 10:58 PM
There's no such thing as quality control anymore,not for your dollar anyhows!
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

Graeme
9th December 2000, 04:15 PM
The extra $150 will be money well spent in the long run, as you have noticed yourself the lathes line up nicely and run very smoothly, just what you need in a mini lathe.
We sell a lot of Jet equipment and find it to be of excellent quality, but I beleve the little VL100 is a better built unit than the
Jet mini.

regards Graeme