PDA

View Full Version : Nuttall - short bed- ex tafe - anyone have one?

bollie7
5th June 2013, 08:58 AM
As the title says, does anyone have an ex TAFE, short bed Nuttall lathe. Specifically one that has been converted to metric? The ones where they ended up with a gazillion, odd metric pitches, with only a couple that were really usable?

bollie7

Oldneweng
5th June 2013, 08:49 PM
I have a Nuttall with a 30inch bed. Is that short enough? It hasn't been converted to metric tho.:( Maybe I can't help you then.

Dean

bollie7
6th June 2013, 09:08 AM
I have a Nuttall with a 30inch bed. Is that short enough? It hasn't been converted to metric tho.:( Maybe I can't help you then.

Dean
Dean
I'm trying to find someone on the forum who has a metric one who might want an imperial leadscrew and nut that I have. I don't want to just give it anyone who just wants it for their stock pile, I'll keep it myself for that, but if someone has a metric Nuttall who wants to convert it back to imperial, I'd be happy to donate for the cause.

regards
bollie7

Dave J
6th June 2013, 09:39 AM
Put it one ebay, I sure someone will give you a few bit for it. From what you have told me it's sounds like it's in good nick to.

Dave

bollie7
6th June 2013, 01:43 PM
I might do that Dave, or I might just keep it in case I want to make a super high lift screw jack or something someday.
bollie7

Oldneweng
6th June 2013, 09:23 PM
Dean
I'm trying to find someone on the forum who has a metric one who might want an imperial leadscrew and nut that I have. I don't want to just give it anyone who just wants it for their stock pile, I'll keep it myself for that, but if someone has a metric Nuttall who wants to convert it back to imperial, I'd be happy to donate for the cause.

regards
bollie7

No worries bollie7. I definitely cannot help you. My Nuttall is actually sold so I am not buying anything for it. I am saving everything for my new one.

Dean

Old Croc
17th June 2013, 02:50 PM
Dean

regards
bollie7

Hi Bollie,
does the thread chasing dial have a different gear for the imperial lead screw? and if it has do you have one to sell?
rgds,
Crocy.

bollie7
17th June 2013, 08:14 PM
Crocy
The imperial machines had a "proper" chasing dial. When they converted them to metric, they disgarded the chasing dial and fitted a bracket with two star wheels in them. (basically two sheet metal gears) I can't remember the tooth count. You used whichever one was appropriate for the lead you were cutting.
I have an imperial lead screw, clasp nut and chasing dial. All well used but still servicable.
Another member has asked me about the leadscrew with a view to modifing it to fit a different brand of lathe but I have been that busy I haven't had a chance to even look at it.
I'd prefer to keep this all together as a set at this point.
regards
bollie7

nearnexus
17th June 2013, 09:05 PM
Why are TAFE selling all these older lathes?

Are they clapped out?

I see them being sold on ebay all the time and wonder if they are as good as the sellers make out.

Not trying to be a stirrer, but I just wonder how good or bad they really are.

Rob

Machtool
17th June 2013, 10:11 PM
Not related to your question. So my apologies. I had to google up Nuttal to remind me what they looked like.

I found this on tony's UK lathe site. http://www.lathes.co.uk/nuttall/img7.jpg

That has to be the ugliest case of Dulux Blue I've ever seen. Thought you might be interested. I think the car in the background with the right hand rear wheel ajar is in better condition.

Regards Phil.

Oldneweng
17th June 2013, 11:09 PM
Not related to your question. So my apologies. I had to google up Nuttal to remind me what they looked like.

I found this on tony's UK lathe site. http://www.lathes.co.uk/nuttall/img7.jpg

That has to be the ugliest case of Dulux Blue I've ever seen. Thought you might be interested. I think the car in the background with the right hand rear wheel ajar is in better condition.

Regards Phil.

Whatsamatter with that. Much better paint coverage than mine. Maybe a bit overboard on the ways but. Some differences from mine but missing the gap section tho. I have a clutch lever on the top of the headstock. This one appears to have it under the feed shaft. The compound has 2 bolts visible for angle changing. Mine has one each side. Guess there is another 1 or 2 other side.

My Nuttall is pretty worn but I don't know much of its history. I do know that it was used at work for about 5-6yrs. Very light work I would say. It was transferred from another winery maintenance dept when the two wineries were combined by SouthCorp Wines. Each dept had a lathe and this one was determined as being the best of the two. I would hate to see the condition of the other one. My lathe has about 2mm slop in cross slide feed screw/nut.

It has been a good first lathe but I will be glad to get started on a more accurate one.

Dean

bollie7
18th June 2013, 08:50 AM
The old Nuttalls were a good old machine for what they were. In TAFE NSW they had heaps of them. Most of them were a short bed version which I've always assumed were specially made for TAFE. I think the centre height is 6&1/2" or 7" depending on the age of the machine. The earlier gear head machines had the rounded headstock. Some had the clutch lever on the top of the headstock and others had it on the front. The later model ones had a more squared off headstock. All of the Nuttalls I've seen have a date stamped into the bed at the tailstock end between the V and flat ways.
When Australia went Metric in 1972 they converted most of these machines to metric by changing the leadscrew and nut, replacing the chasing dial with a star wheel and changing the plate on the quick change box. I don't know for sure, but I assume the gear train to the QCB was also changed. The end result was a range of weird metric pitche's, with most of them being useless.
Keep in mind that there has been no machine made that is totally student proof and most of the TAFE machines have copped a flogging over their lives. At Newcastle TAFE they refurbished F&M about 15 years ago and got rid of all the old Nuttalls then. Replaced them with short bed Colchesters.

bollie7

Ueee
19th June 2013, 05:06 PM

I found this on tony's UK lathe site. http://www.lathes.co.uk/nuttall/img7.jpg (http://www.gophoto.it/view.php?i=http://www.lathes.co.uk/nuttall/img7.jpg)

Regards Phil.

Maybe its the LeSmurfs long lost cousin? Sorry no full pic but the one i have gives you the idea......

Cambimotor
20th February 2014, 10:44 PM
Hi,
i was just wondering if you still have that imperial lead screw for the short bed Nuttle lathe - ex tafe.
i have one in good condition - yes the metric version. I love the lathe to use, only problem I would love to be able to cutt imperial threads - I have the 127 tooth change gear. Can any one help with cutting imperial threads on a metric lath .

Regards
Rod

Ueee
21st February 2014, 07:50 AM
Hi Rod,
Welcome to the forum. Try this program by Vernon, you put in our available gears and what thread pitch you want and it will work out all the possible gear combinations for you. http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=118398&p=1525211#post1525211
Cheers,
Ew

bollie7
21st February 2014, 10:28 AM
Hi,
i was just wondering if you still have that imperial lead screw for the short bed Nuttle lathe - ex tafe.
i have one in good condition - yes the metric version. I love the lathe to use, only problem I would love to be able to cutt imperial threads - I have the 127 tooth change gear. Can any one help with cutting imperial threads on a metric lath .

Regards
Rod
Rod
I've sent you a PM re the leadscrew.
regards
bollie7

.RC.
21st February 2014, 04:24 PM
Hi,

Regards
Rod

Depends on what you do have... Nuttall did make metric lathes towards the end of their life...

You will need change gears to cut the imperial threads, from memory Nuttall used an involute spline for the change gear centres, which complicates matters considerably if you do not have all the change gears...

Also a leadscrew itself will not be much help without half nuts...

PDW
21st February 2014, 06:48 PM
Also a leadscrew itself will not be much help without half nuts...

I remember using a converted one at TAFE. What a PITA - the cross slide screw was originally 8 TPI IIRC, new dial was a direct metric conversion, something stupid like 3.17mm.

Funnily enough I have an inch leadscrew, half nuts and threading indicator for one of those lathes. The teachers saved all the leadscrews and bits, stashed them away in case they ever needed them or wanted them for some other project. I've never found a use for mine yet but who knows, one day I might. If I could remember where it is.....

I did find a piece of 14DP rack the other day though so one step closer.

PDW