PDA

View Full Version : Losing Skin

adrian
10th May 2005, 10:27 AM
I was turning a junk piece of timber the other day to make a base for a crystal decanter to sit in. The timber had a few major cracks in it and it had started to rot.
I was using an overhand grip on the roughing gouge and ended up geting a very fine greyish-brown powder on the palm of my hand that was a bugger to get off.
The following day the skin on my palm looked like I had laid a couple of thousand bricks.
There was no discomfort or itching, just the skin coming off. There's nothing particularly special about the wood. It was found at one of the log dumps near Port.
Anyone else had this sort of thing happen?

echnidna
10th May 2005, 02:14 PM
My son in law was cutting some timber a few years ago and was blinded for a few months by some chemical in the sawdust.

ptc
10th May 2005, 05:35 PM
Radio Active ?

echnidna
10th May 2005, 05:42 PM
Dunno but he's very happy to have his sight return to normal.
Guess who ALWAYS wears goggles now when he's sanding or woodworking.

Stuart
10th May 2005, 05:49 PM
I'm assuming people are still aware of www.ubeaut.com.au/badwood.htm (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/badwood.htm)? Might provide some clues.

ozwinner
10th May 2005, 07:09 PM
The following day the skin on my palm looked like I had laid a couple of thousand bricks.

Like nothing had happened??

Al :D :rolleyes:

Ianab
10th May 2005, 08:53 PM
it had started to rot.

Maybe an allergic reaction to fungus spores in the wood?
Need to be extra carefull with fungus stained wood, especially breathing the dust. You dont want the top layer of your lungs peeling of :eek:

Ian

journeyman Mick
10th May 2005, 10:11 PM
Mate of mine is an arborist. Tells me there's a tree they call "tar wood" (don't know the latin name). The sap burns the skin and causes it to peel off :eek: I'm sure there's plenty of nasties out there.

Mick

routermaniac
10th May 2005, 11:40 PM
I was turning a junk piece of timber the other day to make a base for a crystal decanter to sit in. The timber had a few major cracks in it and it had started to rot.
I was using an overhand grip on the roughing gouge and ended up geting a very fine greyish-brown powder on the palm of my hand that was a bugger to get off.
There was no discomfort or itching, just the skin coming off. There's nothing particularly special about the wood. It was found at one of the log dumps near Port.
Anyone else had this sort of thing happen?
It could be a contact dermatitis, a delayed hypersensitivity reaction, or heaps of other stuff including fungal infection (although much less likely). Either way you should see your GP and obviously avoid reexposure to the offending wood (re-exposure could mean a more severe reaction in the future).

Obviously gloves are the go as is some sort of eye/airway protection, I find the triton respirator very good.

Cliff Rogers
11th May 2005, 12:01 AM
Skip the GP, he's gunna tell ya the same thing, avoid it or use protection.

adrian
12th May 2005, 04:31 PM
Like nothing had happened??

Al :D :rolleyes:
When you have worked in IT all your life, believe me , when you lay a brick driveway and you don't wear gloves your hands do look like they have done something. :)

rsser
12th May 2005, 05:15 PM
Wood could've been treated with a preservative or somesuch. There were a lot of ratsh*t chemicals used in the past.

adrian
12th May 2005, 06:26 PM
The dust came from a grey area of the blank that looked like it was starting to rot.
And I've cleaned up enough baby vomit to say that the wood had more than a passing similarity to it's smell. It was in a log dump so I'd say that it wasn't brought in so an exotic or any chemical treatment can be discounted.
I haven't touched it for a couple of days but when I looked this morning it just looks like an old piece of blackbutt which I think, along with what they call red mahogany, is the most common type of timber harvested here.

rsser
12th May 2005, 06:30 PM
Skip the GP, he's gunna tell ya the same thing, avoid it or use protection.

Cliff, this is a woodturning forum, not a sex ed. class ;)

Baz
13th May 2005, 06:04 PM
Cliff, I don't see how wearing a condom will help whilst turning. :rolleyes:
Cheers
Barry

rsser
13th May 2005, 06:22 PM
Maybe one on each finger and jumbo size over the wrist?

Cliff Rogers
13th May 2005, 07:03 PM
Ummmmm, just how do you blokes hold your tool?

Gingermick
13th May 2005, 07:21 PM
[QUOTE=adrian]When you have worked in IT all your life
/QUOTE]

Well I dont work in IT :rolleyes: but I have worked on computers the last 4 years. As such my hands have gone quite soft. http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon9.gif

rsser
13th May 2005, 11:01 PM
Ummmmm, just how do you blokes hold your tool?

You haven't read Darlow on the 'under-rest' grip?

Critical how you place the right-hand forefinger (if you're right handed that is).

routermaniac
14th May 2005, 12:57 AM
one track minds :)