PDA

View Full Version : Table Top Design - Asking For Trouble???

Richardwoodhead
10th May 2005, 10:56 AM
I'm thinking of making a "parquet" type table top from numerous 50 cm odd lengths of Jarrah (150mm x 50mm) that have slowly collected as a result of "offcuts".

I was thinking of gluing (epoxy) offcuts that are say 40cm long by 130mm wide by 40mm thick into two rows about 2 meters long. Then joining these two rows via a central board down the middle of the 2 meter table top (also 130mm wide, 40 mm thick).

Then to add insult to possible injury... I was going to glue side boards (also 130 mm x 40 mm) down both the long edges of the table, and across the short ends. So that there was little end grain showing and provide a "framing" effect.

Given there'll be more wood movement across the grain, do you think I'll get movement problems between the rows of smaller boards and the central & framing boards? Anyone ever tried this? (Should I try a "dry" fit between the differently oriented segments? Anyone ever done that?)

Appreciate your feedback.

Richard

Rocker
10th May 2005, 12:03 PM
Richard,

I have to say it seems like a recipe for disaster, unless you ensure that the grain is all oriented in the same direction, and you just use breadboard ends, with accommodation for wood movement. Maybe you could join the short pieces with scarf joints to make them into 2-metre boards.

Rocker

ryanarcher
10th May 2005, 03:17 PM
Most parguet is done with veneer glued to a substrate that doesn't move. if you resaw the jarrah into normal veneer thickness then glue that to an mdf (or similar) base, you'll get more use out of the offcuts you have, and will be able to vary grain direction for aesthitics.

popawisky
10th May 2005, 10:42 PM
the triton project has a rather basic coffee table with a parketry top.
Yeah I no not the rite spelling but u get the picher. I tried to include a photo but got lost in the process. any clues on how to post a picture?????

Cliff Rogers
10th May 2005, 10:51 PM
... any clues on how to post a picture?????
Déjà vu, i think (thanks Noodle)

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=14294

popawisky
10th May 2005, 11:06 PM
dont know if that should be a thumb or a finger

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=8665&stc=1 :confused:

Cliff Rogers
10th May 2005, 11:27 PM
dont know if that should be a thumb or a finger....
Be like the constipated mathematician, work it out with a pencil & paper. :D

I was cross-posting from another thread. :D