PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning books and DVDs

hooppine
10th May 2005, 06:22 PM
I am continually reading how good this book is or not is and how the best way of learning is being taught but my own experience of learning to gain knowledge of the hows and whys has been read and read go to shows and watch and question try a few simple things and then beg borrow or steal DVDs. I have presently a DVD called Bowl Turning with Del Stubbs. This is a great guide and has a short but good piece on the use of the skew chisel. The main part of all of it was that ther is more than one way of doing things and experimentation with knowledge is the way you should do things.

Mulgabill
10th May 2005, 07:14 PM
"The main part of all of it was that ther is more than one way of doing things and experimentation with knowledge is the way you should do things."

Hey Hooppine,

Most of us would have to agree with the above premise.

I agree that tuition from an experienced turner, is not for everyone, however, it is sometimes worthwhile to have a mentor that can guide you and show you the light when problems do arise.

If however, you have not follwed this path you must read, practice, practice, read, practice, watch DVD's, attend shows, practice and if possible join a club which will enable you to exchange ideas and then importantly follow this forum closely as it's a font of information (and entertainment).

Cliff Rogers
10th May 2005, 09:55 PM
..... I have presently a DVD called Bowl Turning with Del Stubbs. This is a great guide .....
I have a mouldy old video copy of that & the thing that sticks out in my memory is that he is using soaking wet wood. It looks VERY easy.

JackoH
11th May 2005, 10:13 AM
As Cliff correctly indicated, in most pictures both DVd and book illustrations the turners are usually using green (or wet timber). Also they often pick wood which makes the job much more spectacular and easy.
A bit like cook books where the food often isn't even cooked. but coloured and shaped for the sake of the camera.

PAH1
11th May 2005, 10:38 AM
I am all for experimentation, I do that for a living, but sometimes it is good to be told/see here are the three options for this and this is the one that works the best. Saves a great deal of time spent exploring dead ends and reduces the frustration level.

bobsreturn2003
11th May 2005, 11:32 AM
must say the del stubbs video is so easy and a joy to watch as well as being informative , some of the videos are a cure for insomnia ! just my opinion

hooppine
11th May 2005, 05:16 PM
My origonal idea behind this posting was to interest those of us who believe we will never know enough about what we want to learn and I was sort of hoping someone would give out on where some of the GOOD learning materials can be found CHEAPER than most places. It would appear that my opinion that old woodies never let go of there media not matter what they think of it is true. Yes Dell does make it look easy but as an ex teacher I liked his instuction methods. He did make mistakes and he showed things slowly. I have looked up Tuantons web site to see if I can get other DVDs which I believe are they best method of departing knowledge after one on one. Will keep you posted if I see another good one. Have to dowload a program to get a preview of the other DVDs first.

Graeme
11th May 2005, 07:41 PM
I remember this video, must be 15-20 years old by now, the thing that sticks in my mind about it is Del Stubbs enthusiam for turning, kinda made you want to go out to the shed and have a go yourself a.s.a.p.