PDA

View Full Version : Jarrah and Blackbutt Mirror

Willy Nelson
7th June 2013, 01:01 AM
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen

Like all good wood turners, we normally start off with a slice of timber, cut a round out of it and discard the remainder (burn it). Well, for years, that is how I worked.

Until recently.

I decided to make my platters a little smaller and instead of cutting them out on the bandsaw, I would drill a hole and then cut out the internal with a jigsaw. This then gives me a blank for turning, albeit sluightly smaller than I normally would achieve and make something of the 'usually' discarded part. I made these two burl mirrors to test and refine the process. I also ended up with two 30cm platters from the respective slices. One is Jarrah Burl, the other is blackbutt Burl. So, not really woodturning, but wood turning related. The mirrors cost me $15 each.

Like all good wood workers, my photography is crap, they look heaps better in the flesh.
Cheers
Willy
Jarrahland

Colin62
7th June 2013, 04:18 AM
Like all good wood workers, my photography is crap, they look heaps better in the flesh.

And they don't look all that shabby in the photos :)

Dalboy
7th June 2013, 07:47 AM
Great pair of mirrors and from something that before was waste. I prefer the second one better reminds me of the crater of a volcano that has filled with water:2tsup:

chuck1
7th June 2013, 08:45 AM
what a brilliant idea! they look great! mirror mirror on the wall who's a clever wood turner

artme
7th June 2013, 02:56 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

turnerted
7th June 2013, 05:31 PM
Good idear Willy.
How did you hold them while you trued up the rim for the mirror?
Ted

Willy Nelson
7th June 2013, 08:17 PM
Hi Ted
I hold them on a flat table with clamps, not in the lathe

Willy