PDA

View Full Version : Rattled

Dalboy
8th June 2013, 07:30 AM
Well had a great-grandson :woot: last week so made him his first piece of wood related items. Made from cherry and highlighted with American black walnut finished with Danish oil.

Rod Gilbert
8th June 2013, 07:50 AM
Can't get them handling the timber to soon, great looking piece what did you inside for the rattle. Which of the child friendly finishes did you use.(Stupid me the question already answered in the post)
Regards Rod.

Dalboy
8th June 2013, 08:20 AM
Can't get them handling the timber to soon, great looking piece what did you inside for the rattle. Which of the child friendly finishes did you use.(Stupid me the question already answered in the post)
Regards Rod.

Hi Rod thank you. I used Ceramic baking beans, they are round ceramic balls used for blind baking pastry(The wife's idea) they work great

torchwood
8th June 2013, 02:16 PM
Great work digger, I had to wait till he was 3 months old before my grandnephew finally started using the 2 that I made him.271539271538

Dalboy
9th June 2013, 06:21 AM
Thank you torchwood has been put to one side for when he is able to play with it

artme
9th June 2013, 10:05 AM
Well DD, congratulations on both the gg and the rattle!!! Nice work!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

bassmansimon
9th June 2013, 10:28 AM
Brilliant design. Can I ask how it is made? I can't figure out if you have hollowed and inserted the rattles when assembling the laminated rattle blank before turning, or if somehow it all unscrews to allow you to insert (and presumably change) the rattle components.

Drillit
9th June 2013, 05:02 PM
Hello diggerdelaney,
Here's me thinking you had made him a donger - haha good one.:U Drillit.

Dalboy
11th June 2013, 04:01 AM
Brilliant design. Can I ask how it is made? I can't figure out if you have hollowed and inserted the rattles when assembling the laminated rattle blank before turning, or if somehow it all unscrews to allow you to insert (and presumably change) the rattle components.

The blank was cut in half and each half hollowed making sure there was a lip in one half to take a ring of ABW and enough length to go into the other half to give a stronger joint. Also in one half a hole was drilled to take the handle. the rattle head was assembled and turned on the outside producing a hollow ball with a 1/2" hole at one end for the handle. The backing ceramic beans inserted just before the handle was fitted.

Hope this diagram makes sense.

Why is it easier to do than explain:C:C:C.

bassmansimon
11th June 2013, 07:13 AM
Thanks for that explanation :)